What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did not make a cottage pie. The ground beef wasn't thawed. I made fried Prem sandwiches. What is Prem, you ask? Don't. You're happier not knowing, but SINCE YOU DID, it's a cheap knock-off of Spam, and if THAT doesn't boggle your mind, you are entirely unboggleable. It tastes like...salt, mostly, and has the texture of tofu. However, fried to within an inch of whatever it's lifeform may have once been, and slathered with decent barbeque sauce (don't waste the good stuff), you can actually choke it down. NO, I didn't buy the stuff. It was in a church box, post hurricane, and having been reared by a father who lived through the Great Depression, I'm fundamentally incapable of throwing away edible food, and since Prem has a shelf-life JUST short of Twinkies, it was edible, and I couldn't give the stuff away to save me!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did not make a cottage pie. The ground beef wasn't thawed. I made fried Prem sandwiches. What is Prem, you ask? Don't. You're happier not knowing, but SINCE YOU DID, it's a cheap knock-off of Spam, and if THAT doesn't boggle your mind, you are entirely unboggleable. It tastes like...salt, mostly, and has the texture of tofu. However, fried to within an inch of whatever it's lifeform may have once been, and slathered with decent barbeque sauce (don't waste the good stuff), you can actually choke it down. NO, I didn't buy the stuff. It was in a church box, post hurricane, and having been reared by a father who lived through the Great Depression, I'm fundamentally incapable of throwing away edible food, and since Prem has a shelf-life JUST short of Twinkies, it was edible, and I couldn't give the stuff away to save me!
That sounds kind of like Treet. One of my favorite Youtubers does an in depth comparison between Spam and Treet. When he did his first video about Spam, he hated it. He got to the point that he now likes it so much that he now makes his own Spam. I like Spam sliced thin and pan fried until crispy. I've never heard of Prem before. I had to look it up. We used to eat Underwood deviled ham sandwiches when I was a kid. That and the canned corned beef.

Spam vs Treet

Larry's homemade Spam

If that wasn't enough, he also made Spam cookies!! I'd eat these for sure

I have no idea what's for dinner (getting back on track!) :D

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family ate a lot of SPAM in the 60's. I remember Underwood's Deviled Ham salad (with pickle relish, boiled eggs and Miracle Whip) was a real treat as a kid!

Today I can hardly stand the thought of either one. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ...can I overnight you some hot dogs???

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember Fried Spam sandwich’s as a young kid. Yuck. I tried to cover the flavor with ketchup. All you could taste was salt!!!
It burned my mouth, because it was so salty.

Deviled ham sandwiches was another preschool lunch. This was not bad. I kind of liked them.

My mom grew up during the end of the depression. Was an adult during WWII, with rationing. She did the best she could.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SPAM is what Mom fed us when she didn't have anything else and didn't want to take an hour + trip to the nearest supermarket (we didn't have a car back then). Mom had (and still has) no concept of meal planning. I didn't really care for SPAM. Way too salty :barfgreen:

Tonight is leftover braised chicken. I have a brioche roll to go with it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today I can hardly stand the thought of either one. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ...can I overnight you some hot dogs???
There are hot dogs. I just went to the store for the monthly shopping trip...however, the ground beef is thawed, so I'll be having cottage pie tonight!

I'm actually OK with Spam on occasion. Apparently, Spam is a Big Deal in Hawaii, they have Spam cook-offs, and Spam festivals and God KNOWS what! I have eaten grilled Spam with pineapple (dated a Hawaiian for awhile a bunch of decades ago). It isn't...horrible.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are hot dogs. I just went to the store for the monthly shopping trip...however, the ground beef is thawed, so I'll be having cottage pie tonight!

I'm actually OK with Spam on occasion. Apparently, Spam is a Big Deal in Hawaii, they have Spam cook-offs, and Spam festivals and God KNOWS what! I have eaten grilled Spam with pineapple (dated a Hawaiian for awhile a bunch of decades ago). It isn't...horrible.
Yes it's a very big deal in Hawaii. I worked in a hotel restaurant in Wheat Ridge, Colorado back when DD was a baby. We had groups of bowlers come in and stay for a tournament or something. Some of the teams were Japanese. They had few requests but they were specific. They wanted Spam, rice and Vienna sausages available for breakfast every day they were at the hotel. ALL of them ate some variation of that every day, Spam, rice and eggs or Vienna sausages, rice and eggs. They were some of the nicest guests we ever had. They used to tease Jeff (the restaurant owner) that his rice cooking skills got a little better every day. They were with us a week if I remember correctly. This was 24 years ago.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our family ate our share of canned meat too. I think it was Prem my mom used buy. We'd also have canned meat spread sandwiches, canned salmon with all those bones, and that canned corned beef, with the cow's face on the can. :cringe: No wonder I became vegetarian. :rolleyes2:

Not sure what I'm having/making for tonight. :headscratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.