What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the chicken and rice dish came out less than ideal :dunno: After 50 minutes of baking, I took the foil off and found the still raw chicken swimming in broth and uncooked rice. Another half hour in the oven resulted in the chicken being cooked but still swimming in broth and partially cooked rice. I put the chicken on a plate and put the rice back in the oven for another half hour. The result was cooked rice but really mushy and wet. I don't know what went wrong :headscratch: Maybe the 3 quart dish I used was too small? The recipe calls for a 10 x 15 dish but in my other thread several people said the 3 quart dish would work just fine. The chicken itself was pretty bland.
I'm sorry. I wonder if it would have been better in the instant pot or a crock pot.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lunch I had my usual veggie sandwich. This time I put Cranberry Stilton cheese from Aldi on it. It kind of clashed with the tomato. I think this fruity cheese would taste better melted on a grilled cheese. I'm still learning what foods go together.

For dinner I had this Spanish rice type dish with a veggie burger cut up in it. It was pretty good, it had kidney beans, onions, red bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, salsa, brown rice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry. I wonder if it would have been better in the instant pot or a crock pot.

The recipe doesn't have alternate instructions for a crock pot or Instant Pot :dunno: I posted pictures in the other thread.

The power is back on so I had Chantarelle mushrooms with swiss chard, kale, and Tofu over rice.

I've always wanted to try chantarelle and other unusual mushrooms but I have no idea what the best way to cook them are. I'd hate to buy expensive mushrooms only to ruin them by cooking them wrong :fear:The independent grocery store always has a lot of different varieties: lobster, oyster, trumpet, maitake, etc.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's house. I had veggie dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce and a roll. For desert I had apple pie. She made my food separate from everybody else's because I am vegetarian. I had a lot of left over's to take home.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I forage for chanterelles. They grow on our property. Others I feel safe to forage for are chicken of the woods, Laetiporus sulphureus, and hen of the woods, Grifola frondosa. There are a couple of others but these are my preferred three.

Easiest is to clean the mushrooms with a soft brush. Try and avoid water. Purchased mushrooms should be clean. At least cleaner than what I forage for.

Chanterelles can be torn into pieces. The other two are bracket / shelf mushrooms and need a knife. Chanterelle cook quickly - saute with a goodly amount of butter over moderate heat. After you saute bracket fungi they then get a splash of stock and the lid quickly clapped on the pan as you turn the heat down. Simmer until done.

Serve over rice or pasta, as is. Or make a cream sauce to which you add the mushrooms Chanterelles_2019-07_box of chanterelles.jpg .
Here's an image of a box of chanterelles I picked in mid-July, this year.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For breakfast I had a can of Great Value mixed fruit. It was just okay, not exciting.

For lunch I had a veggie sandwich of course. This time I put blue cheese vinaigrette on it instead of mayo. It was better than I thought it would be. It tasted like the Italian dressing I used to have as a kid.

For dinner I had asparagus, roasted potatoes/carrots/onions mix with ketchup on it, a ring of pineapple, and 2 little Dr. Praeger Spinach Cakes. I put ketchup on those too. I don't know if I cooked them right. I cooked them in oil 3 minutes per side since they were unthawed.
Dr. Praeger's Spinach Cakes

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I forage for chanterelles. They grow on our property. Others I feel safe to forage for are chicken of the woods, Laetiporus sulphureus, and hen of the woods, Grifola frondosa. There are a couple of others but these are my preferred three.
You sound knowledgeable with regard to mushrooms... some poor misguided fools go looking for psilocybin 'shrooms in the woods or field, mistakenly pick 'Death Caps' and subsequently die agonizing deaths. But those who know their 'shrooms can safely pick and eat a number of fungi. Moi, I'll stick with those cultivated by experts or specialty farmers... I wouldn't eat a mushroom picked in the field if I had the least doubt about its toxicity. :eek2:

No worries on this holiday weekend, I'm on a steady diet of football, cold beer & leftover turkey with all the trimmings, LOL. 🦃

P.S. Back in Viking days, some Berserkers formed "mushroom cults" and ate 'shrooms before going into battle... 🍄

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are pictures of mushrooms allowed to be posted here? Or should that go in a different thread because it's a different topic from this dinner thread? :paranoid: I have pictures of the various locally grown mushrooms that the grocery store has.

I had the leftover bland chicken again. I tossed the mushy rice, though. I made plain rice in the rice cooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.