What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't found Pink Lady Apples yet, but I'll look today when I go to town. I did have a Granny Smith apple for breakfast yesterday!
Around here, they and Grannys' are the last to be ready. The orchards close for the season the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Maybe you could find them at an orchard near your house.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here, they and Grannys' are the last to be ready.
I found the Pink Lady apples! I was confused because they said New York on them and I thought they were from Australia. So I got one. I haven't eaten it yet.

For breakfast I had a Red Grapefruit that I bought yesterday. Ewwww! I hated it. So bitter, even with half a Tablespoon of sugar on it. It was really hard to peel, I had to use a knife, and I made a mess all over the table. I like sour food like rhubarb & kumquats, but not bitter like this.

For lunch we are going out to lunch before the dentist. I don't know where, it's over in another county and I don't know what restaurants they have.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I have some clementines. Are they little tiny oranges?
Yes. And when they're good, they're almost as sweet as candy. 🍊

For breakfast I had a Red Grapefruit that I bought yesterday. Ewwww! I hated it. So bitter, even with half a Tablespoon of sugar on it. It was really hard to peel, I had to use a knife, and I made a mess all over the table.
Since you didn't like it with sugar, try a piece without sugar. It's possible the sugar just make the difference between sweet and bitter more noticeable. Do try it again, as you may learn to like it. Or maybe not. ;)

Found this video, btw:

For lunch we are going out to lunch before the dentist.
Good luck at the dentist. 🦷
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight, scrambled eggs and biscuits. I'm cheating and using the frozen biscuits that I keep for when I just don't want to bake. And Lord knows, tomorrow I'll be baking enough to last me awhile. I have three pies to do, AND the cornbread for my stuffing! It has to be baked, cooled, crumbled, and left out to get stale.

Which reminds me...I better go get a couple of tablespoonfuls of bacon drippings out of the freezer for the cornbread! Every time I cook bacon, I put the drippings in a special ice cube tray and freeze them. Each "cube" is about 2 tablespoons of drippings. Make it very handy for cooking!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight, scrambled eggs and biscuits.
I could go for that, it sounds delicious. :yummy:

My Aunt told me that I should have put salt on the grapefruit instead of sugar. Maybe I will try it one more time.
For lunch I had a veggie omelet at a diner. It was $10! Geez prices are high these days. It was good though, it even had broccoli in it.

For dinner I had a frozen Performance Kitchen Roasted Cauliflower Mac & Cheese bowl from Walmart. It was pretty good. I didn't realize it was gluten free.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use salt not sugar to make tart things taste sweeter. There's a whole science behind it:

You can also try grapefruit cups. They're not tart at all. Dole is one brand that uses 100% juice, not some sugary syrup. Dole® Red Grapefruit Sunrise - Get Coupon & Order Today! Some supermarkets may have their own daily fresh fruit cups in the produce section.

I threw together a dinner of frozen chicken strips and a boiled egg. Tomorrow will probably be ramen. I am not going to the supermarket tomorrow with the crazy last minute Thanksgiving dinner shoppers :headshake:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was a crazy busy day...pumpkin pie and apple raisin pie and a big peanut butter cheesecake plus my dressing are all done!Tonight was easy...he had a couple of hotdogs and some baked beans and I had a piece of leftover chicken.I am beat!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use salt not sugar to make tart things taste sweeter. There's a whole science behind it:

[/URL]
[/URL]

You can also try grapefruit cups. They're not tart at all. Dole is one brand that uses 100% juice, not some sugary syrup. Dole® Red Grapefruit Sunrise - Get Coupon & Order Today! Some supermarkets may have their own daily fresh fruit cups in the produce section.

I threw together a dinner of frozen chicken strips and a boiled egg. Tomorrow will probably be ramen. I am not going to the supermarket tomorrow with the crazy last minute Thanksgiving dinner shoppers :headshake:
Those grapefruit cups are yummy. :clap2:

I think I'll make an Amy's roasted veggie pizza for dinner tonight with some black olives and half of a thinly sliced shallot added. So good. :yummy:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try grapefruit cups.
Maybe I will get the grapefruit cups and put salt on them. It would be much easier than peeling one again.

For breakfast I had 2 slices of toast with peanut butter and a little clementine orange. It wasn't the healthy kind of peanut butter, it was the one with hydrogenated oil. Tasty though...

What kind of peanut butter do you guys use? Is it the healthy natural type?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight, scrambled eggs and biscuits. I'm cheating and using the frozen biscuits that I keep for when I just don't want to bake. And Lord knows, tomorrow I'll be baking enough to last me awhile. I have three pies to do, AND the cornbread for my stuffing! It has to be baked, cooled, crumbled, and left out to get stale.

Which reminds me...I better go get a couple of tablespoonfuls of bacon drippings out of the freezer for the cornbread! Every time I cook bacon, I put the drippings in a special ice cube tray and freeze them. Each "cube" is about 2 tablespoons of drippings. Make it very handy for cooking!
Have you tried these? They are very good for frozen. Way better than the ones in the can. I cannot stand those. :headshake:

Mary B's Buttermilk Biscuits, 20 ct, 44 oz - Walmart.com

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe I will get the grapefruit cups and put salt on them. It would be much easier than peeling one again.
With the cups, you don't need to add salt.They're sweet enough as is. But try one first and then decide if a little salt would help.

A sharp knife helps with getting through thick citrus fruit peels if you want segments. If you don't need easy to eat segments, just slice the fruit in half or wedges and then cut away the peel with a knife.

I use Skippy peanut butter. There's a "natural" no-stir version of it. I've never tried the organic type stuff that needs stirring before you use it.

I forgot I had a pasta meal-in-a-box thing in the cupboard (Modern Table, veggie-friendly and gluten free). Maybe I'll have that instead of ramen.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lunch I had a veggie sandwich. I did a better job on this one, I didn't overstuff it like I usually do.
Brioche bread untoasted, mayo, extra sharp cheese, lettuce, 1 hard boiled egg, and these new Beefsteak Tomatoes that I absolutely love! They are huge. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were for me. :yummy:
Not sure why they call them Beefsteak tomatoes! Weird name.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those look like little balls of veggie burgers. Is that what they taste like?

For dinner I had a Burger King Impossible Vegetarian Whopper with cheese for the 2nd time. I loved it. I hear they got sued because they cook them on the same grill as the meat. Maybe they will buy a separate grill now, it's only fair. I read that these were a massive seller, so they can afford to.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those look like little balls of veggie burgers. Is that what they taste like?

For dinner I had a Burger King Impossible Vegetarian Whopper with cheese for the 2nd time. I loved it. I hear they got sued because they cook them on the same grill as the meat. Maybe they will buy a separate grill now, it's only fair. I read that these were a massive seller, so they can afford to.
Now you are talking like a vegetarian. I also liked the Impossible Whopper but I won't buy it again until they get a separate grill. I ordered 3 of them and I had to wait half an hour for them to cook separate. If I had known that the other veggie burgers was cooked on the same grill I would not have gotten them. I am glad they are being sued. They are not vegan burgers or even vegetarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.