What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you guys like grapefruit? My brother keeps bragging about his tree with 500 grapefruit on it. But all I can think of is yuck! It's so bitter. Maybe it would be good with sugar or some type of sweetener on it.

honey wheat baguette.
What is a baguette?

For lunch I will have my usual veggie sandwich. I'm using Nature's Own brioche bread this time. It's not whole grain, so I probably won't buy it again.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
They just closed the last bowling alley here. I used to love going bowling as a kid. It was affordable then, but I read that it got expensive recently. I haven't been in years.
Rick has been bowling for more years than I care to remember. He's had a team for decades. The original bowling alley for the league shut down (it's now a bank) and he's now bowling in town. He's thinking about joining a day time league now, too.

Mia6 Mia6 John Legend's Mac and Cheese is probably the best I've ever had. I always add just a wee bit of cayenne to the milk and egg mixture. It's just decadently good, very creamy. Recipe is here: Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Pasta It's good stuff!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you guys like grapefruit? My brother keeps bragging about his tree with 500 grapefruit on it. But all I can think of is yuck! It's so bitter. Maybe it would be good with sugar or some type of sweetener on it.
A tree with 500 grapefruit sounds amazing! That said, I'm not crazy about grapefruit, due to its bitter taste. But sugar definitely helps! Someone also told me once, if you peel off the membrane between each piece of grapefruit, that it won't be so bitter. I've also heard that pink grapefruit is sweeter (less bitter?) than white grapefruit.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What is a baguette?

For lunch I will have my usual veggie sandwich. I'm using Nature's Own brioche bread this time. It's not whole grain, so I probably won't buy it again.
I don't like grapefruit. If I lived in CA or FL I would have a yard full of avocado trees.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had one of the Black Bean burgers I made yesterday for lunch, so will just be having something light tonight. Probably a muffin, apple and some cheese. 🧁 🍎 🧀

I also was able to get a pretty decent pic of my veggie burger today. 🍔

You can see it in the Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan where I've posted my version of the recipe. :compsurfing:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
espresso custard for dessert.
I don't eat dessert much, but espresso anything sounds good!

I also was able to get a pretty decent pic of my veggie burger today.
Looks good!

For dinner I kinda had a buffet---sweet potato fries, a carrot/snap peas/onions mixture, and some leftover butter beans.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grapefruit can be tart. They're such a pain to peel. Pomelos are even worse because the peel is like half an inch thick:gaah:

I had leftovers - pasta with sausage and jarred sauce. I just made the dish up as I cooked.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I bought some Ricotta! But I forgot what you guys said to put it on. Was it fruit? What kind of fruit?
You can eat it with fruit. Whatever kind you like. Peaches, berries, whatever. You could also spread it on toast or add it to pasta with pesto sauce, tomato sauce, etc. You can also do what I do and eat it with a spoon.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama -- How do you get enough Omegas being vegetarian? What foods have them?
That's a tough question, actually, and not one I can easily answer. Briefly there are 2 types of omegas. Omega 6 and Omega 3. Omega 6 is in many foods, both vegetarian and animal based. Omega 3 is in fewer foods, for example oily fish like salmon and trout. However the fish get their omega 3 from algae in the water. So vegetarians/vegans can take a supplement of omega 3 made from algae. I've never tried it though.

Not too many non-fish foods contain a lot of omega 3. One is walnuts, which is why I often top I top my salads with them. But the omega 3 in walnuts is not the same kind as in fish. Other foods that contain omega 3, also contain omega 6 in larger amounts. The problem becomes that the ratio between omega 3 and omega 6 is too high in omega 6, and this is for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians.

I'm guessing anyone reading this is now possibly confused. And honestly, I don't know enough to really give advice. However, the "then just eat fish" answer isn't the answer either, and not just because it's not vegetarian, but because of mercury levels in fish.

Here's a few links that might helpful:
Learn your Lipids: A Quick Guide to Bulletproof Fats
Omega-3 and omega-6 fats
8 Best Vegan Omega-3 Rich Foods

I've mentioned this book before, but anyone who wants to learn more about healthy vegetarian eating, I totally recommend The New Becoming Vegetarian book. The authors really know nutrition, and it was my go to book for a long time before, and after, I became vegetarian. There's a section on omega 3 and omega 6, btw.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can eat it with fruit. Whatever kind you like.
Okay thanks. I'll try it on my morning fruit bowl. :crossfingers:

One is walnuts, which is why I often top I top my salads with them.
Oh good, I love walnuts. I've been thinking of trying seeds. I have pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds in the freezer.

For dinner I had a "Field Roast Fieldburger" veggie burger, mac & cheese, and a peas/carrots/green beans mix. I really love this veggie burger, it tastes just like a regular burger. It has 16 grams of fat though, isn't that kinda high? It doesn't have any beans in it. It's vital wheat gluten, barley, onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and some oils and spices. 25 grams of protein.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are right. You won't miss the cheese.
Oh, yes, I would. However, I would probably like it anyway, for what it is, so will give it a try. But for the record, I WOULD miss the cheese! There is either mouse or rat somewhere in my family tree. I'm betting rat.

Yep, lasagna is what it was :) turned out pretty good, even if it did make a bit of a mess on the oven floor, darn it (knew better, oh well)
I actually have a large baking sheet that I use ONLY for putting under things that might drip when cooking. Saves me a world of hurt.

I've also heard that pink grapefruit is sweeter (less bitter?)
It is, although it is a matter of degree. But it is just enough sweeter to make me enjoy it with a light sprinkle of sugar.

Tonigh...egg rolls. Chicken egg rolls. Three food groups in one delightful finger-food. And a good excuse for eating Sweet Chili sauce, which should never be missed!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For dinner I had a "Field Roast Fieldburger" veggie burger, mac & cheese, and a peas/carrots/green beans mix. I really love this veggie burger, it tastes just like a regular burger. It has 16 grams of fat though, isn't that kinda high? It doesn't have any beans in it. It's vital wheat gluten, barley, onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and some oils and spices. 25 grams of protein.
I had to Google "Field Roast Fieldburger" and see it's similar to the Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger. I couldn't find the fat content online for the Beyond Burger, but the Impossible Burger has 19 grams of protein and 14 grams of fat, so similar to your Field Roast one.

Tonight I had an egg salad sandwich and a Royal Gala apple. Will probably have a granola bar in a bit as a snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.