What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...just as I was ready to go make my hot dogs, Danielle came in with a plate of chicken and white sauce lasagna, FULL of broccoli and carrots. YUM! Hot dogs tonight.

i'll have no beans chili over a (microwaved) baked potato. a slice of carob (layer) cake with raspberry buttercream for dessert. :D
SO here's my question...is no-beans chili really chili, or is it sloppy joe with a good PR team?

Tomorrow I'm going to bake an apple spice cake with caramel frosting. That just sounds so "FALL" to me.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>

SO here's my question...is no-beans chili really chili, or is it sloppy joe with a good PR team?

Tomorrow I'm going to bake an apple spice cake with caramel frosting. That just sounds so "FALL" to me.
:lol:

that sounds like it would be really tasty, apple spice cake with caramel frosting! :agree:

i'll have more no beans chili over a baked potato. a 'brookie bar' for dessert -- bottom layer of it is carob brownie and the top layer is carob chip cookie. :yummy:

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got a hankerin' for cowboy fare tonight, beef & beans to be specific... this is "comfort food" for me, in the sense that I always make this dish when I go camping. Sometimes I use steak, sometimes I use stew meat, sometimes I use ground beef, doesn't really matter when it's cooked right. Tonight, I'm going to sacrifice a couple of hamburger patties, add some bits of onion & celery sauteed with the beef, then dump in a large can of Bush's Baked Beans, my choice for baked beans since there are quite a few flavor options. Let it all simmer for awhile and eat it with buttered French bread on the side... fills me up every time. I never fail to make this dish when camping under a million stars, it just tastes 'right' by a campfire, LOL. Is there such a thing as "spiritually correct" food? Beef & beans by a campfire... a no-brainer for aficionados of the Old West. The phrase "politically correct" originated in the Communist Party, but my "spiritually correct" number has no ties to stinking politics, LOL, and good riddance. :yess:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
muffy muffy Do you like pickled red beet eggs or the pickled eggs without red beets? I love pickled red beet eggs and will make them once or twice a year, usually around Easter, and then once during the summer for our large family picnic. I've never had regular pickled eggs, only the red beet ones. The pickled onions are just onions cooked five minutes in the microwave in water, then drained. Add a bit of sugar and some red wine vinegar. Let set for about 20 minutes in the fridge. It's part of a Sara Moulton recipe. (I tend to break recipes apart sometimes and use the portions that I want for something.)

Tonight will probably be brats with just a salad

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy Do you like pickled red beet eggs or the pickled eggs without red beets? I love pickled red beet eggs and will make them once or twice a year, usually around Easter, and then once during the summer for our large family picnic. I've never had regular pickled eggs, only the red beet ones. The pickled onions are just onions cooked five minutes in the microwave in water, then drained. Add a bit of sugar and some red wine vinegar. Let set for about 20 minutes in the fridge. It's part of a Sara Moulton recipe. (I tend to break recipes apart sometimes and use the portions that I want for something.)

Tonight will probably be brats with just a salad
I like pickled red beets but not eggs. Thanks for the recipe for making pickled onions. They look easy enough to make.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got a hankerin' for cowboy fare tonight, beef & beans to be specific...
Considering your screen name, it would be unnatural if you didn't get that hankerin' on occasion!

AND...continuing my quest to eat like a college kid, tonight is corn dogs with honey-mustard. And green beans, so I can fool myself into thinking that I'm acting like an adult.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on my own for dinner, so I'm considering hummus with some fresh veggies. I really like hummus. Hummus, like guacamole, is a recent addition to my list of favorites. It's only been in the last few years that I've decided that I like guac and hummus. Good stuff!
I had so much hummus when I was vegan I can't stand the sight of it anymore. I never had guacamole but I am sure I would like it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm on my own for dinner, so I'm considering hummus with some fresh veggies. I really like hummus. Hummus, like guacamole, is a recent addition to my list of favorites. It's only been in the last few years that I've decided that I like guac and hummus. Good stuff!
I never had hummus till I became vegetarian, and it took quite a few tries before found one I liked. And I've only had guacamole once, and wasn't impressed.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love hummus. I used to make it for DD when she was away at college. I went up once a month to visit and take her grocery shopping. I would make foods she liked like chili and casseroles for her freezer. She loved the homemade hummus. I roasted the garlic and took the skins off the garbanzos before I added them to the food processor. Removing the skins is a bit time consuming but it gives you a creamier final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.