What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I'm drooling on the keyboard!!!! That sounds delicious...and fun! :bday:

I just added some sautéed onions, peppers, carrots and extra garlic to the leftover pizza sauce and had it over pasta tonight. Somehow that now seems pretty lame by comparison. :p
orange&white orange&white , that does not seem lame at all! A lot of times I add vegetables like peppers, carrots, eggplant (frozen, grilled) and summer squashes to tomatoes and olive oil and it is quite good!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night's experiment: Balti style curry seasoned tilapia and veggies over wild rice.

I have a 4 curry box from Penzy Spices (love their stuff). I love how each style has a different kind of complexity. The Balti is more peppery than the Garam Masala, Maharajah, or Tandoori.

I seasoned the tilapia liberally on both sides, laid down a little butter with a few thin slices of onion and fresno pepper, and set the fish on top. Flipped the fish after about a minute and added the last of my miatake mushroom, some broccoli, and a few halved grape tomatoes. Covered and let cook on low for another 4-5 minutes (until the broccoli was firm but not too crunchy).

For the rice, I added a little bit of chicken bullion and olive oil to the water, which gave it a nice salty flavor. I cooked it old school, on the stove, because it never comes out right in the rice cooker. :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Saturday's dinner was delicious and we all dug in. We had a bit of a minor mishap; for some reason the Yorkshire pudding bubbled over in the oven and what a mess that was! Set off the smoke detectors and we had to open the windows throughout the house. I don't know how it happened because I used the pan that I always use for Yorkshire pudding and we never had that happen before. As I hopped up on the litter bench in the kitchen to take the smoke detector down, so it would stop beeping, my GF's husband came out to the kitchen and told me that I always somehow tend to make things interesting. My response? "Oh, shut up!" :lol: No lives were lost, the pudding was fine and so were our roasted vegetables that were in the top oven. The bottom oven with the baked corn suffered no mishaps. Later on, our friends got ready to leave, my GF's husband gave me a big hug, and said he'd come here for dinner any time, even if we did need smoke detectors! After our friends left, I cleaned up the inside of the oven and, on Sunday morning, I set it to self-clean for three hours. And that was that. Rick checked the pan out carefully; we have no idea what the heck happened. He told me kitchen things happen just to keep me on my toes.

Sunday was leftovers, although I was down in bed with another headache and didn't eat anything.

So tonight, we have to finish the leftovers. I think I'm going to take some of the leftover beef and make pita sandwiches with pickled onions and beef slices. (You just thinly slice the onion, pour a bit of water over the onion, then microwave about five minutes or just long enough to soften the onion. Drain well, then add some red wine vinegar and some sugar and let it chill for 20-30 minutes and you have fairly good pickled onions.)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will be some cabbage roll casserole (i'm working on the last container of it -- was good, but will be glad not to have it again for a while), and some bread. i've found that i like to break up a slice of bread, put it in the microwave dish, add some cabbage roll casserole, then heat in the microwave. the pieces of bread absorb the liquid/'gravy' from the casserole. :yummy:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure yet. It depends how the day and the snow clearing goes. I'm definitely going to make a big pot of Sausage Lentil soup today. We have leftover pizza we could have with a side salad. I also have the ingredients to try a Chicken Shawarma Instant Pot recipe that we would have over a salad.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I took chicken out of the freezer last night and I have some canned tomatoes in the fridge. Thinking about throwing together some version of chicken parm with brown rice and a bit of a simple salad. Nothing major.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm trying a new recipe, sticky apricot chicken.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll heat up a stuffed pepper half, maybe sprinkle a little grated parmesan cheese over it. a slice of bread with margarine and some jam/jelly to go with it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 That sounds good; did you like it?

It came out pretty good :agree: The bone-in chicken thighs took about 15 minutes longer to cook than the recipe stated:rolleyes:. I also had to keep adding water to the glaze so it wouldn't turn into caramel.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you liked it. I probably would, too, as I like apricot. Don't know about Rick though.

We heated a DiGiorno pizza last night. Rick said he's thinking about stopping for hoagies on his way home from work (subs, sandwiches, whatever you call them....around here, they're hoagies).

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Another Curried Tilapia experiment the other night...

This time I used the Garam Masala blend, which is more on the clove/allspice/cinnamon side with the curry as more of a secondary note (but it's still there), which makes it a little more mild.

So, spiced up the fish, laid down some butter and fresh ginger in the pan, cooked for a couple minutes before flipping. After flipping the fish, I tossed in some fresh blackberries and raspberries, then dropped just a dollop of homemade marmalade on each filet. Covered and let cook until tender (about 5-6 more minutes). Served over wild rice (because I still had some).

This turned out so amazing! The berry and orange flavors were so complimentary with the Garam Masala. And the textures of the slightly firm black berries, soft raspberries, firm rice and delicate fish... Oh My Yummy!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We stopped at Taco Bell and got some bean burritos. That was the first time I have ever been to Taco Bell and it was very tasty. I have been craving chili and that hit the spot.

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
We stopped at Taco Bell and got some bean burritos. That was the first time I have ever been to Taco Bell and it was very tasty. I have been craving chili and that hit the spot.
I was at Del Taco today! The Shrimp Tacos are back!!!!!! Love them too much. I have 2 months until they go away again :sniffle:

Status
Not open for further replies.