What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
furmonster mom furmonster mom Congrats! :hearthrob:

1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 I hear you about the dinner. Many years ago, I had made sweet & sour pork for dinner. We were sitting at the table eating. The lights started to flicker. Our son and I looked at each other and flew down to the basement where I was doing laundry. The dryer was on fire and it was arcing. Rick and our son unplugged the dryer and got it outside. Meanwhile the smoke in the basement had gone up to the main floor. I ran around opening windows and doors.

And what were the kids doing? Well, they were seated in a perfect circle around the large bowl of sweet and sour pork on the kitchen table. Very politely taking turns hooking pieces of food from the bowl and eating. Thinking back, it was hilarious. At the time, not so much. Not fair that they got pork; we had McD's.

Anyway (sorry for digressing), tonight we're having pot roast. I didn't get the leftover beef we didn't use in the stroganoff done last night because I felt bad and didn't cook; we ended up with leftovers. So I threw everything into the crock pot this morning and put the crock pot in the basement to cook on Low today. It should be ready around 5:00 or so tonight. I may make some cornbread to go with our roast. And a bit of creamed lettuce.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight...again, no idea!! Probably leftover chicken and sweet potatoes...
Kitties get rabbit and chicken hearts.. Their favorite treat(s)!
Dogs getting tripe and organ blends (heart, kidney, liver, pancreas).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I'm coming off of a two-day vertigo attack, and I feel like a dishrag that was slung over the sink faucet to dry. Whatever I see that is easy and fast. Not hot dogs...I'm thinking a can of okra and tomatoes over rice.

I made some chili and cornbread for supper tonight. I typically fix rice with my chili, but I made cornbread tonight because Olivie likes to share cornbread with me.
I love chili with cornbread. I'm going to buy a waffle iron this next month for cornbread. You just make the batter a tiny bit looser, plop the cornbread waffle on a plate, and spoon the chili over it! AND...you have a serving of cornbread in 2-3 minutes!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
furmonster mom furmonster mom Congrats! :hearthrob:

1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 I hear you about the dinner. Many years ago, I had made sweet & sour pork for dinner. We were sitting at the table eating. The lights started to flicker. Our son and I looked at each other and flew down to the basement where I was doing laundry. The dryer was on fire and it was arcing. Rick and our son unplugged the dryer and got it outside. Meanwhile the smoke in the basement had gone up to the main floor. I ran around opening windows and doors.

And what were the kids doing? Well, they were seated in a perfect circle around the large bowl of sweet and sour pork on the kitchen table. Very politely taking turns hooking pieces of food from the bowl and eating. Thinking back, it was hilarious. At the time, not so much. Not fair that they got pork; we had McD's.

Anyway (sorry for digressing), tonight we're having pot roast. I didn't get the leftover beef we didn't use in the stroganoff done last night because I felt bad and didn't cook; we ended up with leftovers. So I threw everything into the crock pot this morning and put the crock pot in the basement to cook on Low today. It should be ready around 5:00 or so tonight. I may make some cornbread to go with our roast. And a bit of creamed lettuce.

May I ask what is creamed lettuce? Sounds intriguing :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I'm coming off of a two-day vertigo attack, and I feel like a dishrag that was slung over the sink faucet to dry. Whatever I see that is easy and fast. Not hot dogs...I'm thinking a can of okra and tomatoes over rice.

I love chili with cornbread. I'm going to buy a waffle iron this next month for cornbread. You just make the batter a tiny bit looser, plop the cornbread waffle on a plate, and spoon the chili over it! AND...you have a serving of cornbread in 2-3 minutes!
ACK Vertigo is the WORST. It's like being in your own personal Tilt-a-Whirl Hell and nothing will make it stop. All you can do is lay there, shut your eyes and pray for sleep and/or mercy. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and hope you continue to improve.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am making loaded shredded chicken nachos tonight!
I have some rotisserie chicken that I will shred up and put on top of tortilla chips. Then some mexican blend cheese, some re-friend beans, corn and put in the oven to bake to get all gooey melty.
Then top it off with cilantro lime sauce, salsa, avocado and shredded lettuce. :hyper:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am making loaded shredded chicken nachos tonight!
I have some rotisserie chicken that I will shred up and put on top of tortilla chips. Then some mexican blend cheese, some re-friend beans, corn and put in the oven to bake to get all gooey melty.
Then top it off with cilantro lime sauce, salsa, avocado and shredded lettuce. :hyper:
That sounds great!!!!!
We like tomatoes in that mix, too =D

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's sounds like a really quick and easy way to make cornbread! I baked mine in the oven while the chili was cooking on the stove...I timed it just right because they were both ready at the same time.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I made salsa and guac today, so hubby's dinner was chips 'n' guac 'n' salsa.
I got to munch on trail mix while I was at rehearsal... and an apple when I got home.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
May I ask what is creamed lettuce? Sounds intriguing :)
2rescuekitties 2rescuekitties Creamed lettuce is simply a lettuce that's chopped into small (but not too small) pieces and thrown into a bowl. The lettuce is not cooked. Mom used to make a sweet-sour type dressing, pour it over the lettuce and let it stand for about 30 minutes in the fridge. I know it sounds really strange, but it's actually pretty good. It's got that sweet-sour thing going on, which makes it good to go with beef pot pie, stroganoff, pot roast, roast chicken....anything like that. Mom made it all the time, and, of course, there's no recipe, so I wing it when I make it. Rick doesn't eat it very often; he prefers his mother's creamed lettuce; I like my mother's version.

Mom also made a warm sweet-sour dressing for endive or very fresh, young dandelions. Dad would go out in the yard to dig the dandelions and Mom would wash them well and take them apart. I know there were sauteed bacon pieces and hard-boiled eggs in it; it was poured over the slightly warm (just enough to wilt) dandelion or endive. I hated it when I was a kid, but when I got older, it was officially spring when Mom made her dandelion. She'd call me up at work and say, "C'mon down for lunch; I'm making dandelion!" and I'd be there with bells on. I haven't figured out that dish yet. Even with all the Amish-type cookbooks I have, I haven't figured it out. Mom didn't like sharing her recipes with us very often and it's frustrating for us now.

Tonight I think we're going to have soup with yeast rolls for dinner. Or hot dogs. There's a DiGiorno pizza in the freezer, too. Something!

Kat0121 Kat0121 I make creamed spinach and use it to stuff mushrooms.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 That's an interesting way to make waffles! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Last edited:

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds great!!!!!
We like tomatoes in that mix, too =D
I am finicky with tomatoes for some reason. I will eat the small cherry tomatoes because they are juicy, but I don't enjoy the big ones because they just always seem hard and meaty not juicy enough :thud: idk i guess i'm a bit weird haha some days I eat the tomato on my burgers or food, and other times I can't stand it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am finicky with tomatoes for some reason. I will eat the small cherry tomatoes because they are juicy, but I don't enjoy the big ones because they just always seem hard and meaty not juicy enough :thud: idk i guess i'm a bit weird haha some days I eat the tomato on my burgers or food, and other times I can't stand it.
I hate mushy tomatoes! They ruin my life.
I love the small cherry ones chopped into like four pieces in a salad that's very finely chopped. SO tasty =)

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate mushy tomatoes! They ruin my life.
I love the small cherry ones chopped into like four pieces in a salad that's very finely chopped. SO tasty =)
YESSSS! I agree blehhh so horrible and ruin the food for me! But the cherry ones I can eat all day. Also If i do buy tomatoes to make like pico de gallo with or anything like that I buy Roma tomatoes..those are the only ones that mostly have some juiciness

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YESSSS! I agree blehhh so horrible and ruin the food for me! But the cherry ones I can eat all day. Also If i do buy tomatoes to make like pico de gallo with or anything like that I buy Roma tomatoes..those are the only ones that mostly have some juiciness
Smallish tomatoes on the vine are really, really good!!
I hate slicing tomatoes because the insides always squirt across the counter top...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what we're having but it goes without saying I'm really, really wanting BBQ ribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.