What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , i have struggles with the stickers i use to label things i freeze too! lately, i've been using small pieces of scrap paper, put the sticker on that, into a snack sized zipper bag or fold-over sandwich bag and place inside the container on top, then freeze. most recently, i used that method to label the small corn tortillas that i vacuum sealed in portions and then froze.

A repairman once told me that they use plastic parts now to save money and things don't last as long as they used to.

i totally agree!! :agree: i've still got my microwave that i bought 13 years ago, and it's still running fine. the clock on it has never kept the time accurately, but otherwise it's never had any problems. i'm sure that when my microwave finally goes to it's 'great beyond', the microwave i buy to replace it won't be as long-lived. i attribute that to cheap parts, companies cutting costs by using cheap parts.

i'll heat up some cabbage roll casserole (the last of this container), and have a handful of nacho cheese tortilla chips.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A repairman once told me that they use plastic parts now to save money and things don't last as long as they used to.

yup, and that makes sense. :sigh:

well, i ate the last of the cabbage roll casserole early this morning -- though that was my dinner (yesterday's), it's just that i tend to eat my dinner whenever it works out for me to each day.

so i'll make some rice sometime this evening or overnight, and have some of that with some of the Braised Pork Ragu i have thawed in the fridge. a slice of bread with margarine on the side, and a slice of cinnamon-sugar cake for dessert.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Need some meal inspiration? Check out these! Be sure to look closely.

19 Crimes Against Pasta That Will Make Any Reasonable Person Scream
:jawdrop: :barf::barf::barf::barf:I've made some really bad stuff in my day, but nothing as bad as what those were!

Well, after seeing that link, I don't know that I'll need or want anything for dinner tonight. I can say this much: IT WON'T BE PASTA!!!

Thinking of chili or bean soup, both from the freezer. Maybe with some cornbread (there's something about cornbread that really hits the spot with chili or soup).

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I saw the pictures I was eating a bowl of pasta salad I had gotten at the deli at the grocery store. It was pretty nasty but not as nasty as those pictures.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now I am heating a tomato/basil soup in my trucks travel stove. Had a lobster bisque with crab for lunch. So much better than truck stop food (tho I know where the best truck stop food is).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A frozen turkey dinner with stuffing and mashed potatos. The package said it was a meal for two but it really wasn't. Barely a dozen little cubes of turkey, a small spoonful each of stuffing and mashed potatos:headshake:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made another pizza, but I was out of mozzarella and provolone, so I used what I had: Colby jack cheese. It was good, but my brain kept asking, "Where're my Italian cheeses???"

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A frozen turkey dinner with stuffing and mashed potatos. The package said it was a meal for two but it really wasn't. Barely a dozen little cubes of turkey, a small spoonful each of stuffing and mashed potatos:headshake:
You are right about that. I buy the frozen vegetarian dinners all the time and the portions are so small and they are expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We are having a bit of a dinner here tonight. Usually we don't get anywhere for my birthday because of bad weather, so last year I decided to have my own birthday dinner. It turned in to a lot of fun and we've decided to do it every year! I check the weather and then decide what the best day will be. So tonight we're having friends in for a little dinner. My GF's husband's birthday is Jan 29; my birthday was on Jan 24 and we're celebrating both of them together.

I'm doing a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes (because I like mashed potatoes), Rick has requested Ina Garten's corn pudding, and I'm roasting a butternut squash with carrots. A mandarin orange and pecan salad. Dessert will be a chocolate cake with whipped peanut butter frosting because that's my GF's husband's favorite cake and frosting.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having a bit of a dinner here tonight. Usually we don't get anywhere for my birthday because of bad weather, so last year I decided to have my own birthday dinner. It turned in to a lot of fun and we've decided to do it every year! I check the weather and then decide what the best day will be. So tonight we're having friends in for a little dinner. My GF's husband's birthday is Jan 29; my birthday was on Jan 24 and we're celebrating both of them together.

I'm doing a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes (because I like mashed potatoes), Rick has requested Ina Garten's corn pudding, and I'm roasting a butternut squash with carrots. A mandarin orange and pecan salad. Dessert will be a chocolate cake with whipped peanut butter frosting because that's my GF's husband's favorite cake and frosting.
Happy Belated Birthday!!!! :bday::celebrate:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now I'm drooling on the keyboard!!!! That sounds delicious...and fun! :bday:

I just added some sautéed onions, peppers, carrots and extra garlic to the leftover pizza sauce and had it over pasta tonight. Somehow that now seems pretty lame by comparison. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.