What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Darn you orange&white orange&white ! :drool: :drool: :drool: Man, that looks good.

muffy muffy I've never been to Five Guys, but I think Rick has. I wonder if they simply forgot to put a veggie burger in your sandwich? That does happen sometimes. But canned mushrooms? Now, that's just wrong!

One time we were at a fairly nice restaurant and I asked for a couple servings of stuffed mushrooms as an appy to share with the table. When they came to the table, they were cold. I asked the server why they weren't baked; she said, "I guess because they forgot to bake them!" :) She took them back to the kitchen and brought us warm 'shrooms.

We have a grill basket that we don't use that often. Well, after throwing the shrimp in the marinade, I went down to the basement, found the basket and gave it a good washing. So instead of threading the food onto skewers, I threw the pearl onions and peppers into the basket first and put the basket on the grill. Tossed the basket around a couple times (it has a nice lid) to flip the veggies over. Then I added the shrimp, 'shrooms, and pineapple to the basket and continued grilling and tossing. Threw in the cherry tomatoes and grilled til they were done. Served on a bed of Trader Joe's couscous with some sauteed shredded carrots, some slices of onion, and some frozen peas. And it wasn't bad at all, kind of like a grilled stir-fry. So much easier than threading skewers; I don't know why we don't use the basket more often, probably because we don't think about it.

Anyway, I'm going to rummage around in the freezer and see what I can rustle up for dinner tonight. We have turkey dogs, some chipped steaks, some pulled pork from Memorial Day, some leftover grilled chicken, etc. I can find something in there!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That grill basket sounds delicious, Winchester! You also reminded me that I picked up some couscous a few weeks ago from Sprout's bulk bins...and forgot about it. I may incorporate some in tonight's dinner. I love couscous!

Haven't nailed down dinner tonight to the specifics, but leftover potato salad is fairly certain, and maybe a steak with some herbed couscous.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamany-- That sounds good. I have Cajun & Creole Seasonings that I never use. I'm having a Veggie Burrito from the Hot Tamale restaurant that just opened up, with a glass of Three Wishes Merlot wine. The wine is better than the burrito! The filling is ice cold, tastes like they never cooked it. :eek2:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
A huge chief's salad: mixed baby greens with baby spinach, olives, celery, baby plum tomatoes, baby cucumber, chopped hard boiled egg, feta cheese, garlic & cheese croutons. Salad dressing was just: Balsalmic Vinegar and EVOO.

Along with a nice glass of Vodka & Tonic... it is Friday...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll heat up the last of the Texas Hash with rice, some sliced cucumber with blue cheese salad dressing, and some tortilla chips with salsa. :yummy:

i'll have my dessert, a slice of banana bread, later in the evening. :D
I am having cucumber slices, black olives, ranch salad dressing and some black bean and garlic tostitos chips.

I will have a brownie later for my desert.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
That grill basket sounds delicious, Winchester! You also reminded me that I picked up some couscous a few weeks ago from Sprout's bulk bins...and forgot about it. I may incorporate some in tonight's dinner. I love couscous!

Haven't nailed down dinner tonight to the specifics, but leftover potato salad is fairly certain, and maybe a steak with some herbed couscous.
Rick is not a big couscous fan, but he'll eat it, if I don't serve it regularly. It's nice for a change of pace sometimes. This is a whole wheat couscous, from Trader Joe's.

Man, I dearly love potato salad. I don't make it often as Rick prefers pasta salad over potato, but I do make it enough to give me a good serving or two. I love the stuff. My mother made excellent potato salad and, try as I might, I can't make it exactly the way she does.

Sweet & sour pork is on our menu tonight. I know we just had pineapple on Thursday with the shrimp, but it's OK. I'll make a bit of brown fried rice to have with our pork. We haven't had that in a while.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That sounds good. I have Cajun & Creole Seasonings that I never use.
OH OH OH...try buying small red potatoes, cutting them in half, and boiling them with Shrimp/Crab Boil. I like Old Bay, but there are several other brands that are also good.

What all do you put in that version?
LOL, being lazy, I just did some searching and found a recipe that is almost identical to mine. I didn't have the sausage, and substituted a ham bone, nor did I use lard. And I used half the amount of dried thyme.

New Orleans-Style Red Beans and Rice Recipe

Tuna salad tonight.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheeseburgers, open face (no bun, LOL) =)
I over did it last night and made way too many veggies, so we will re-heat those.

We will start canning/preserving in another few weeks!! :noway:

Dogs tonight will have bison and some "Add on"s (yogurt, etc.)
Cats are having chicken and turkey parts.
Everyone gets liver tonight, too!....except me. I can't eat liver yet. :running:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First course was cabbage slaw in honey mustard topped with red onion, grilled pineapple ring and roasted pepitas.

Main course was a small med-rare steak with mushrooms smothered in a red wine reduction; couscous tossed with scallions, tomatoes, olive oil and lemon; garlic French toast with sharp cheddar; and a little extra honey mustard sauce.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
orange&white orange&white I loved grilled pineapple! Grilled peaches are decadent, too. I will often grill peaches when we're grilling pork tenderloins. Or thickly sliced apples.

1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 What will you be preserving? Do you have a garden?

Our sweet & sour pork was pretty good last night. I had gotten the last of the pulled pork (that we didn't pull, but froze in hunks) out of the freezer on Friday and Rick and I each had a pulled / sliced pork sandwich. I needed to do something with the rest of the pork, so I made the sweet & sour pork. We don't freeze our pulled pork with the sauce, so it worked out OK; it had kind of a smoky taste. We liked it and it was a good way to use the pork. There was a little bit leftover and Rick called dibs on it to take for his lunch on Monday.

I think we're looking at grilled boneless, skinless chicken thighs tonight. With just a simple chopped salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.