What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, stupid me for having a late lunch but I really have very little appetite now so we will have to wait and see!
Tomorrow I think we're heading down to see some friends for dinner somewhere, so that will be fun. We don't dine out often (a few times a year!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had leftovers last night. We had pizza over the weekend, followed by French toast and sausages, followed by Rick's (family famous) hamburgers. There were a couple slices of pizza, a slice of the toast with one piece of sausage, and two burgers. And a small container of beef stew. Rick took the toast and sausage with a bit of applesauce, I took the beef stew with a yeast roll. We kept the burgers and threw the pizza into the trash.

Not sure about tonight; Rick will be chief cook and bottle-washer, since I have a meeting right after work. I'm leaning toward a tuna melt, but will talk to Rick.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muffy-- It's pretty easy, just take a sub roll, English muffin, or whatever bread you have, put sauce and whatever toppings you want, some cheese, and put it in the toaster oven or oven. Just don't put too much sauce. I made another one and put way too much sauce on it and made it soggy. :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found, buried in the depths of the freezer compartment, beneath all of the bags of spaghetti sauce, a small roast. It is currently enjoying a hot tub (slow cooker) and I'm going to attempt a Yorkshire Pudding to go with. Pray for me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamany, what kind of roast, beef or pork? I had a 7 Layer Burrito from Taco Bell for dinner. I really like these because they are vegetarian and loaded with toppings. I got the packets of Fire Sauce to go on it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did someone mention breakfast for dinner?

I had planned to make dinner after rolling up some breakfast tacos to freeze for work. I ran out of tortillas and had a pile of stuffing leftover, so that became dinner.

Ground beef, hash browned new potatoes, eggs, onions, peppers, garlic and a couple slices of toasted French bread with melted sharp cheddar.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your pictures are always so mouth-wateringly good. Even with the meat, which as I vegetarian I can't eat. You need to try more meatless meals! :p

What kind of camera do you use?

I actually have a plan for dinner tonight. Vegetarian slow cooker baked beans.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your pictures are always so mouth-wateringly good. Even with the meat, which as I vegetarian I can't eat. You need to try more meatless meals! :p

What kind of camera do you use?

I actually have a plan for dinner tonight. Vegetarian slow cooker baked beans.
It's a very old Nikon Coolpix 4500, which I purchased used 10 years ago from a guy who shut down running his own photography business and was selling some of his cameras. I'm not sure how old it was when I bought it.

It takes great photos of "still" things...like food. It's not always great at "moving" things...like cats. :p

Not sure about dinner tonight. I've got pork broth thawed and some fresh cabbage and veggies for soup. I froze extra stuffed wontons, so maybe wonton soup as an appetizer. Will have to decide on a main course during the day.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamany, what kind of roast, beef or pork?
It was beef. I rarely buy pork roasts, generally preferring chops...but I do make a killer sugar-cookie encrusted pork roast with a raspberry sauce. Which is fun, because I serve it with rice, and when you put the sauce on the rice, it becomes something like raspberry rice pudding, so you get dessert with dinner!

Tonight is spaghetti. I'll work on those leftovers tomorrow.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubysmama-- I'm no expert cook, but I think you could easily make that hash vegetarian, just leave out the ground beef, right Orange? I like ketchup on my hash.
Mamany-- what are you using for sauce on your spaghetti? I like chunky veggie sauces.
Tonight I'm just having a frozen cheesy pasta dinner in a bag. I wanted some soup but I don't have any and too tired to make it from scratch.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a very old Nikon Coolpix 4500, which I purchased used 10 years ago from a guy who shut down running his own photography business and was selling some of his cameras. I'm not sure how old it was when I bought it.

It takes great photos of "still" things...like food. It's not always great at "moving" things...like cats. :p
It takes GREAT pictures of food. :yummy:

Rubysmama-- I'm no expert cook, but I think you could easily make that hash vegetarian, just leave out the ground beef, right Orange? I like ketchup on my hash.
I'm not an expert cook either, so if there's no recipe, I don't even attempt it. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took some large shrimp from the freezer this morning to thaw in the fridge. We will have kebobs with marinaded shrimp, chunks of green pepper and pineapple, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and onions on the grill. As a bed for the kebobs, I'm either going to make brown rice with onion and shredded carrots and some frozen peas, or quinoa, I haven't decided yet. (I try to add vegetables to everything; it's a good way to get more veggies in our meals.)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~checks airlines for fights to Winchester's house~

Mamany-- what are you using for sauce on your spaghetti? I like chunky veggie sauces.
Well, I'm not a vegetarian...I have to have a certain amount of animal protein. Medical necessity (although I do eat a lot of vegetarian meals), but I use chunky jarred sauces. I do three at a time, different varieties, and then add fresh veggies, ground beef, my own spices. I take the commercial stuff and make it my own. If I ever get a really good stock pot and a way to hit a really good farmers' market during tomato season, I'll make it from scratch again. That's the best. Takes two days of simmering, but DANG it is good!

Tonight is tuna salad. If I can cadge a ride to the store, I'll have it in a scooped out tomato. If not, crackers.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pancakes any time of day. I had pancakes, butter and syrup for dinner on Friday at IHOP along with some hash browns and coffee. They were so good.
i love pancakes too! :redheartpump: i don't make them very often, though i'm not sure why.

tonight, i'll heat up some Texas Hash with a little fresh-made rice added to it. a slice of bread with margarine, and some sliced cucumber with blue cheese salad dressing. :D

later this evening, i'll have my dessert -- a slice of banana bread. :yummy:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to Five Guys for dinner tonight. I got what I thought was a veggie burger but all it turned out to be a hamburger bun with vegetables added. No veggie burger. You had your choice of mayo, mustard, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, grilled onions and mushrooms. I did not like it at all. It tasted like the mushrooms came from a can.

I will say their fries were delicious. They were home made. If I ever go back there I will get their fries and maybe their grilled cheese sandwich but never again will I get their veggie burger.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Status
Not open for further replies.