What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear about a retirement home that is serving tasty meals! All too often, they DON'T!
I have to say, based on my recent experience in a nursing home, that these places have upgraded their food. Manor Care had wonderful, delicious food with a lot of variety. I gained 3 pounds in 5 days.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear about a retirement home that is serving tasty meals! All too often, they DON'T!
Our bigger retirement home here has a professional chef leading the kitchen. Apparently that chef is paid well the food is delicious and the chef has been there for years!!
We've ate there before, the dining room is amazing and very spacious, service was excellent and it was so good seeing retirement home folks dressing up and "going to dinner" with others. Beats plastic trays of plastic food in your room any day.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tarragon-garlic herbed dumpling sounds so fancy. I hope it tasted as good as it sounds. :)
Sounds fancy, but I just added a couple pinches of tarragon and some granulated garlic to this dumpling recipe, then dropped spoonfuls on top of the stew to simmer 30 minutes. They came out nice and fluffy in the center.

Basic dumplings for stews (you can adds herbs you like and garlic powder to the batter, or they're good just plain too):

1 cup of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter/margarine
1/2 cup of milk

Combine dry ingredients and cut the butter in, then stir in milk, and drop spoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and steam for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You're going to love your spiralizer, R raysmyheart It's wonderful for zucchini noodles, but there are tons of other vegetables you can use for "pasta". Have fun with it!

Tonight is a leftover buffet. We'll take all the leftovers out of the fridge and choose what we want.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight is Scratch 'n' Dent Food Court, open for business!!!

....this means you go to the fridge, and put together your own creation from leftovers, like 1/4 of a rice dish paired with 3 raw carrots, a plum, and a slice of cheese.
Be creative, they said...it'll be fun, they said...
:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're not sure about tonight. On one hand, Rick wants to go out for dinner (if it rains tonight). On the other hand, we're thinking about having a campfire in the back yard in our new fire pit, just Rick and me. It's supposed to rain tonight with a t-storm. If the weather holds out (and it's a gorgeous morning here), we'll do the campfire. We'll either make pizza mountain pies or ham and cheese mountain pies with apple mountain pies for dessert. (I'm going to have to go to the store for square-shaped bread to fill into the pie makers.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Guess what I found, buried in the pantry? A JAR OF PESTO! So...pasta e pesto! I really must find the funds for a decent food processor. I miss making my own pesto. At one point, I had over 150 pesto recipes, each one a bit different than the other.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a very late lunch so who knows if I'll want dinner? I might have something like soup. I've got some we preserved and also a really good commercial southwest style soup I love. So many soupy choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.