What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that there was a vegetarian dog that lived longer than any other dog. I don't remember how long he lived.

Tonight I had beans and rice.
I think that was Bramble =) I've read about him.
He lived on a farm with a farm owner that was borderline anal about the soil quality. The dog ate vegetarian prepared dishes but had a huge range of space to move/run/amble along. The food prepared was no doubt from amazing soil (very important to thoughtful farmers) and probably (due to the farm life) ate dead things or killed small critters!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 10 years ago, I researched top longest-lived dogs and diet. I remember one in the top 10 being vegetarian; the other 9 mainly ate raw diets or had access to live prey. It is interesting!

I should also refresh my research since it's been a decade. :confused:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 10 years ago, I researched top longest-lived dogs and diet. I remember one in the top 10 being vegetarian; the other 9 mainly ate raw diets or had access to live prey. It is interesting!

I should also refresh my research since it's been a decade. :confused:
Our old neighbors had a dog that was 80 pounds or so live to see 21-22. Amazing age. This dog was fed bargain food but had daily access to the outdoors. Fresh air, sunshine, exercise, and all the horse crap/dead stuff she could eat!
Our barn cats have always been hardier than our indoors only cats...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that was Bramble =) I've read about him.
He lived on a farm with a farm owner that was borderline anal about the soil quality. The dog ate vegetarian prepared dishes but had a huge range of space to move/run/amble along. The food prepared was no doubt from amazing soil (very important to thoughtful farmers) and probably (due to the farm life) ate dead things or killed small critters!
Thanks for the dogs name. I looked him up and it says he lived to be 25 years old and lived on a vegan diet. He was a Border Collie.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm on my own again so I'm doing my boring as heck chicken thighs and flash-steamed veggies.
Beats the heck out of my personal, simple favorite of hot dogs with cheese and onions...which sounds about right for tonight. "Urge" to "Eat"in 3 minutes flat.

I love pepperoni!!! And extra cheese. And olives. And anything but anchovies =D
LOL, my Dad used to call anchovies "eyebrows." "One large with everything but the eyebrows." He always said you could not trust a fish that needed a barber.

I'm not drooling, my mouth just has a cold xD
I, on the other hand, am drooling... there's no fooling myself on this, it's a full-out drool-fest!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, my Dad used to call anchovies "eyebrows." "One large with everything but the eyebrows." He always said you could not trust a fish that needed a barber.
I'M DYING!! xD
My dad always said never trust any dish of food that looks back at you!! Very old school my dad...he also said the style of moustache's that was popular in dudes in the late 60's/early 70's looked like someone stapled a ferret to their upper lip.

Tonight will be stir fry for humans here. Cats got the remainder of ground turkey, bison chunks, a bit of fish oil and liver.
Dogs got tripe with a side of yogurt. I'm easily amused and love watching them tear through these chunky things. It's so good for them and their digestion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took a nice thick ham slice from the freezer last night to thaw in the fridge. Rick's going to do the ham on the grill while I make a bit of salad. I have some whole mushrooms in the fridge that I need to get used up, so I'm going to stuff the mushrooms for Rick to flop on the grill, too, while he's doing the ham. We haven't had stuffed mushrooms in ages!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just grabbed a couple of those Mexican meatloaf muffins out of the freezer to thaw. Just going to do corn and green beans to go with. I did catch some nice ears of corn on sale this past Saturday, so I'll microwave-steam them in the husks. That way, I don't have to worry about the silk. It will slide right off when I husk them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No mushrooms last night. Rick decided he wanted to do fried/grilled potato slices on our griddle on the grill. They came out fine and were quite good, nice and crispy with the butter and chives.

So tonight we're having steak sandwiches and I'll do the stuffed mushrooms with them. He said he'll do the sandwich steaks on the griddle, throw the buttered buns on the grill rack and put the 'shrooms in one of our pans that we use on the grill. Works for me. I'd rather grill any night than heat up the stove and the oven.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cubed up a bottom round roast for future batches of cat food, and had about 6-8 ounces extra. Decided to sear that for myself and tossed red potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic into the small crock pot with the beef. I'll add a can of tomatoes after it cooks down just a bit and have beef stew for dinner.

The weather is really hot here though and that seems more like winter food. Maybe a small portion won't be too heavy.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I purchased a small hand spiralizer
Stir
I've been thinking about one of those...let me know how it works!

The stir fry came out very nicely. Nothing that would win awards, but tasty and filling, which is all I require!

Tonight...um...I'm feeling bakish. Scrambled eggs, biscuits, and a small salad. I actually have lettuce right now!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what I'm going to have because I'm going to have dinner with some friends of mine in a retirement home. The leader has too many meal tickets and wants to use them up, so the rest of us come once a month to help her out. :rolleyes: Last time, I had beef stroganoff and carrot cake. It was delish.
I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear about a retirement home that is serving tasty meals! All too often, they DON'T!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , I just this afternoon used the hand spiralizer to make zucchini 'noodles' and it worked so well! It is something I bought under ten dollars and I think it will really be nice this summer to have zucchini pasta. I just had my early dinner and that was zucchini noodles cooked lightly in olive oil, black pepper, and romano cheese. I have enough for work tomorrow. I am thinking these noodles would be wonderful with a cream sauce, so I will see what I come up with. Making the noodles themselves with the spiralizer was almost effortless.

Status
Not open for further replies.