What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, Happy Birthday in advance, Winchester Winchester ! :bday: both of those lemon cakes sound wonderful!! :yummy:

tonight i'll heat up a(nother) stuffed pepper half, a slice of bread with the last of a jar of pineapple preserves, and a slice of banana bread for dessert.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of leftover Asian dumpling filling, leftover pork chops and leftover orange sauce...so I made for tonight's dinner...and 5 extra lunches for the freezer:

Pork fried rice (with the extra pork/cabbage/carrot dumpling mix)
Stir-fried pork with peppers and onions (with the extra orange-ginger sauce).

Next weekend, I think that Birdseye Steamables veggies may be what's for dinner. After from-scratch pizza last weekend and from-scratch Asian this weekend, I believe I'm overdue for an open a bag and heat weekend. :thud:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not dumb at all and, yes, it is made with eggs and vegetables. (There is egg foo young made with meat also.)
Cookistry: Fresh Vegetable Egg Foo Yung

I don't know about all Korean restaurants but the one I have been going to for years is all vegetarian and vegan. The owner(s) and chef(s) are two brothers, the atmosphere is very relaxing, i.e. cell phones are not allowed, and they play soothing music indicative of their Buddhist background. The food is unique, fresh and generous portions. I generally go for lunch but order another item to bring home for dinner.
The egg foo young looks good but I can't do eggs. That was my mothers favorite Chinese food.

We don't have any vegan restaurants around here. I would have to go into DC and that's something I'm not willing to do. It is just too far away. I will try a Korean place around here though.

Muffy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the early birthday wishes!

Tonight is Meatloaf with Cheddar-Smashed Potatoes in the pressure cooker. The recipe is from Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass. I have a bit of cabbage in the fridge and will make some coleslaw from that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Long day today visiting my sister-in-law in the hospital so DH and I agreed to treat ourselves to Asian carry out tonight. I'm undecided between veggie egg foo young, tofu w/mixed steamed veggies or zucchini w/black beans and rice.
When my sons were little, their favorite food was egg foo young, and at least twice a week they would tell me, "Mama, PLEASE make egg foo "yum"!

Thanks for the early birthday wishes!
Adding mine to that!

Tonight is going to be scrambled eggs and biscuits...again. And maybe tomorrow night, as well. Dunno.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 !

Oh, wow, that meatloaf was excellent last night! If you have a pressure cooker, try doing meatloaf in it. So good. Rick loved it, too. He took a huge meatloaf and cheese sandwich in his lunch today; the thing was gigantic. Yum! He won't want to work this afternoon after eating that. I'll be making it that way again.

We have some Lean Cuisine meals in the freezer and I may do a couple of those tonight, with the rest of the coleslaw.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I may have to get a pressure cooker and that book! I've been considering it for a while now, mostly to make the odd preserve and such.

Tonight...I forgot I still have a couple of servings of that really good pork roast I did at Halloween in the freezer (the roast in the freezer, not Halloween). Pork sandwich tonight!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Was going to have the leftover steak and asparagus risotto for supper, but I am still waiting to hear if my car will be ready.

Thinking it is going to be a meal of cheese, crackers and green grapes.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I may have to get a pressure cooker and that book! I've been considering it for a while now, mostly to make the odd preserve and such.
I really like our pressure cooker (we don't have an instant pot because we have the PC). When we did our kitchen over, I think we lived from the pressure cooker and the crock pots. If you need some cookbook ideas for a PC, definitely try Pressure Perfect....it's a good one (BUT she bases a lot of her recipes on a stove-type pressure cooker and I have an electric one. It's OK and I can deal with it, but thought I'd mention it).

Another good one is Comfortable Under Pressure by Meredith Lawrence (she's on QVC a lot as the Blue Jean Chef). It's a great book, esp for beginners. Easy recipes, good recipes. She now has another book Delicious Under Pressure; I don't have it, so I don't know what it's like. I have another one that I use quite a bit, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I'll have to look tonight. I also like Great Food Fast and Slow Food Fast by Bob Warden.

(When I first got our PC, I was wary and when I used it, I didn't leave the kitchen. Kept expecting a KABOOM! or something. But it's really easy to use.) I use our PC often; it's a good appliance. I like that I can saute the meat and vegetables in the same pan and then cook. And I love that we can have a good meal in about 45 minutes.

We didn't have the Lean Cuisine meals last night. Rick wanted spaghetti, so I made that for us. Tonight will either be tuna and noodles or maybe mac and cheese. We're on a pasta kick right now; we just had mac and cheese at my sister's the other night, but Dear Richard just loves mac and cheese.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried something new tonight... buckwheat soba noodles

Usually, I believe they are served with a broth, but I opted for stir fried veggies (miatake mushroom, Japanese eggplant, green beans, and bok choy) seasoned with Chinese 5-spice, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, and a touch of soy/teriyaki sauce.

It didn't suck.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Usually, I believe they are served with a broth, but I opted for stir fried veggies (miatake mushroom, Japanese eggplant, green beans, and bok choy) seasoned with Chinese 5-spice, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, and a touch of soy/teriyaki sauce.

It didn't suck.
:lol: I suppose that's a good thing

I did make mac and cheese last night. I was going to make a 9 x 9-inch pan, but Rick came out to the kitchen, saw the pan I was going to use and said, "Is that all you're making? I can't take much to work!" So I made the 13 x 9-inch pan and he was a happy camper. He took a big hunk to work today.

Rick is not bowling tonight; they have too many bowlers on their team, so each member gets a week off. I took a small piece of beef from the freezer last night for a beef stir-fry tonight.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It didn't suck.
That sounds better than not sucking...sounds pretty yummy!

So does Mac'n Cheese.

I have some chicken thighs thawed and a little of the head of cabbage left and carrots. No inspiration yet, but those will get turned into some type of dinner. Maybe soup with some noodles.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no clue what I'm doing tonight. None at all. However, I was plundering through the freezer last night and found three steaks that I had utterly forgotten, so I'm picking up a small bag of french fries when I shop Sunday. I haven't had a french fry in two years! I'm treating myself to steak and fries...THREE TIMES! Also, buttermilk to make cornbread dressing with. I want to do baked porkchops with dressing SO BADLY!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made a curry chicken witih mango and lentil dish yesterday. It came out awfully soupy (just one cup of chicken broth) and there wasn't much curry flavor :dunno: I have leftovers for the next few days.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just made chicken soup with homemade egg noodles. Another one of my "not pretty, but it tastes great" things. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.