What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I had a knife fight with a carrot a week ago tonight.
Tonight I had an argument with a frozen container with sharp edges.
The carrot knife fight wounds on my left index have healed but now I have a new wound on my right thumb.
Also, a random cut on my right index that has no known cause but feels like a paper cut from the demons and is annoyingly sting-y.
I don't think I should be in the kitchen on Thursdays!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably tea with lemmon here. My stomach is still not accepting food.
Take care of you!

Well, the steak came out pretty good. Don't laugh, but I've never actually cooked a steak in my entire life! When I was younger, my dad was a grill master. When I got married, my spouses (actually, there were two of them, consecutive NOT concurrent!) were both chefs, so I had almost 30 years of chef-prepared meals between the pair of them. I cooked my specials, 2-3 nights a week, but they did the "heavy lifting," including steaks! That said, I was happy with my maiden voyage! The steak was very slightly overcooked, but I'll cut back by a minute or two next time! It was tender, and juicy, and flavorful, so I'm not complaining too much!

Tonight is spaghetti.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take care of you!

Well, the steak came out pretty good. Don't laugh, but I've never actually cooked a steak in my entire life! When I was younger, my dad was a grill master. When I got married, my spouses (actually, there were two of them, consecutive NOT concurrent!) were both chefs, so I had almost 30 years of chef-prepared meals between the pair of them. I cooked my specials, 2-3 nights a week, but they did the "heavy lifting," including steaks! That said, I was happy with my maiden voyage! The steak was very slightly overcooked, but I'll cut back by a minute or two next time! It was tender, and juicy, and flavorful, so I'm not complaining too much!

Tonight is spaghetti.
Yum! How did you cook them?

Tonight we're going south of the border...tortillas, etc.!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yum! How did you cook them?

Tonight we're going south of the border...tortillas, etc.!
I did my steak in a cast iron skillet for 3 minutes on each side on the stove top at medium high heat, then finished in the oven at 425. That was where I messed up. Left it in the oven for too long. I'll cut back by two minutes next time. LOL, my neighbor had a hissy that I used the oven at all. She was raving, "THAT'S WHY IT WAS DRY AND TOUGH!" But it WASN'T dry, OR tough. Just a little more done than I would have preferred. It was actually quite tender and juicy.

For tonight...I'm struggling a bit. I think I'll boil a couple of eggs and have egg salad sammiches. Haven't done those in a long while!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 you simply cannot go wrong with a cast iron skillet. It makes a great steak.

Here was our dinner. I made ham and cheese calzones. I made the dough yesterday and threw it in the fridge to rise overnight. The recipe was supposed to make six, but I only got four. I could only get 2 cups of flour into the dough, not the three cups called for in the recipe.

The filling is just diced ham and several kinds of cheeses that I microplaned. Two eggs mixed in and some Dijon mustard. The dipping sauce is simply some crushed tomatoes with some lemon juice, basil, oregano, and just a wee bit of thyme.

They don't look the best, but they were yummy. We each had a calzone tonight. I'm letting the other two cool, then will wrap and put in the freezer for later on. (Unless Rick eats them later on for a late-night snack while he's watching tv. He's been known to do that.) It's been a while since I made calzones and they were really good.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my steak in a cast iron skillet for 3 minutes on each side on the stove top at medium high heat, then finished in the oven at 425. That was where I messed up. Left it in the oven for too long. I'll cut back by two minutes next time. LOL, my neighbor had a hissy that I used the oven at all. She was raving, "THAT'S WHY IT WAS DRY AND TOUGH!" But it WASN'T dry, OR tough. Just a little more done than I would have preferred. It was actually quite tender and juicy.

For tonight...I'm struggling a bit. I think I'll boil a couple of eggs and have egg salad sammiches. Haven't done those in a long while!
I love a pan sear! Have you ever tried a reverse sear (cook in the oven first, then sear)?
If you're feeling ambitious, try dropping your oven temp down to lower (around 325F), it cooks slower so it takes more time but it makes for a more tender steak that's more uniform in done-ness =P Goes great with white rice and green onions. MMMM...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 you simply cannot go wrong with a cast iron skillet. It makes a great steak.

Here was our dinner. I made ham and cheese calzones. I made the dough yesterday and threw it in the fridge to rise overnight. The recipe was supposed to make six, but I only got four. I could only get 2 cups of flour into the dough, not the three cups called for in the recipe.

The filling is just diced ham and several kinds of cheeses that I microplaned. Two eggs mixed in and some Dijon mustard. The dipping sauce is simply some crushed tomatoes with some lemon juice, basil, oregano, and just a wee bit of thyme.

They don't look the best, but they were yummy. We each had a calzone tonight. I'm letting the other two cool, then will wrap and put in the freezer for later on. (Unless Rick eats them later on for a late-night snack while he's watching tv. He's been known to do that.) It's been a while since I made calzones and they were really good.
These look amazing!!!!!!!!!!
We did something similar but stuffed it with pot-pie stuff--chicken, green beans, corn, a chicken broth sauce, carrots, etc. Comfort food <3

Status
Not open for further replies.