What's for dinner? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Planning to have pasta tonight w/salad and garlic bread. Cold and gloomy out with rain expected later so pasta makes for a good comfort food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight it's one pot chicken and rice. Instead of brown rice, I'm using regular white rice to cut down on the cooking time. When I used brown rice before, it took close to 2 hours to cook:eek2: I'm also going to take the chicken out briefly so I can saute the veggies for a few minutes then put the chicken back in and add in the rice and water.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a grilled cheese sandwich, possibly some tomato soup, and a banana.
I brought a bunch of green bananas a couple weeks ago and they never ripened. Ten days after I brought them they were still green and hard as a rock. I've never had that happen before. Do you know what was wrong with them? I just threw them out.

I stopped at Burger King and got my veggie burger and fries for dinner. I don't do it to often so I don't feel guilty. I stopped by the grocery store and boy were they busy. I think l will wait till after Thanksgiving before going back. People here were talking about the cost of cream cheese. I noticed that Food Lion and Shoppers had Phil. cream cheese 3 for $5.00. I did not get any because I use the flavored kind that comes in a tub for my bagels.
Anybody ever try cutting open dates and adding cream cheese? It is really tasty and good for you. I also like cream cheese and olive sandwich.
Muffy

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Spaghetti, I think. I thawed the sauce. BUT...I'm going to have a nice bit of extra cash this month...pizza maybe?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I brought a bunch of green bananas a couple weeks ago and they never ripened. Ten days after I brought them they were still green and hard as a rock. I've never had that happen before. Do you know what was wrong with them? I just threw them out.
I've had that happen occasionally. Bananas are always picked green and I believe there's a gas used during transport that starts the ripening process. I've read putting them in a bag with apples will help hasten their ripening, but not sure if it works with totally green bananas.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looking at the newest local supermaket flyers online now. Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese is 3 for $5 at two chains and $1.99 each at another.

Bananas turn brown within a few days in my kitchen even if I buy them green :rolleyes2: They skip turning yellow. I keep bananas in a cabinet so maybe that's why? I can't leave them out because Leroy will eat them :doh:

The one pot chicken turned out well and quicker than the previous time I made it :agree:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had that happen occasionally. Bananas are always picked green and I believe there's a gas used during transport that starts the ripening process. I've read putting them in a bag with apples will help hasten their ripening, but not sure if it works with totally green bananas.
Thanks for the reply. If it happens again I will try the apple in a bag.

LTS3 Thanks for your reply. I really don't buy bananas for myself. I buy them mostly for the raccoons that come up during the night to eat the left over cat food. They are so cute.

Muffy

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somehow I ended up with this, after eating pizza for breakfast, so I guess that has to be part of my dinner today :D
upload_2017-11-18_9-25-7.png

Neighbors did drink alcohol again like every weekend, 3 am they started to show signs of quieting down, so I made sure to not be careful of making lot of noise while starting my bread making endeavors at 5am, vacuuming at 7am and just by accident I happened to be clumsy...

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I stopped at Burger King and got my veggie burger and fries for dinner. I don't do it to often so I don't feel guilty. I stopped by the grocery store and boy were they busy. I think l will wait till after Thanksgiving before going back. People here were talking about the cost of cream cheese. I noticed that Food Lion and Shoppers had Phil. cream cheese 3 for $5.00. I did not get any because I use the flavored kind that comes in a tub for my bagels.
Anybody ever try cutting open dates and adding cream cheese? It is really tasty and good for you. I also like cream cheese and olive sandwich.
Muffy
oh, wow! i've never heard of that happening before. :think: could they possibly have been plantians, maybe placed in with the bananas at the store? it does sound like maybe those were plantains. here's more info about plantains -- How To Ripen Plantains it says that plantains can take 3 or 4 weeks to become ripened.

oh my! dates filled with cream cheese.....:yummy: i love dates! i also simply adore dried figs. do you like them?

and a cream cheese and olive sandwich! :thud:that sounds like it would be really very good! :yummy:

tonight i'll have some of the slow cooker cabbage roll casserole i'll be making today. a slice of bread with some margarine with it, and some of the (buttercup) squash casserole (will be making tonight) for dessert.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at the newest local supermaket flyers online now. Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese is 3 for $5 at two chains and $1.99 each at another.

Bananas turn brown within a few days in my kitchen even if I buy them green :rolleyes2: They skip turning yellow. I keep bananas in a cabinet so maybe that's why? I can't leave them out because Leroy will eat them :doh:

The one pot chicken turned out well and quicker than the previous time I made it :agree:
most excellent!!! :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. If it happens again I will try the apple in a bag.

LTS3 Thanks for your reply. I really don't buy bananas for myself. I buy them mostly for the raccoons that come up during the night to eat the left over cat food. They are so cute.

Muffy
muffy muffy That's sweet that the raccoons eat bananas, but you should buy some for yourself too. They're good for you. ;)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, wow! i've never heard of that happening before. :think: could they possibly have been plantians, maybe placed in with the bananas at the store? it does sound like maybe those were plantains. here's more info about plantains -- How To Ripen Plantains it says that plantains can take 3 or 4 weeks to become ripened.

oh my! dates filled with cream cheese.....:yummy: i love dates! i also simply adore dried figs. do you like them?

I'm pretty sure they were bananas and not plantains but you could be right. I never gave that a thought. My brother said he has had that happen to him with bananas and some other fruit.

I love dates but I do not care for figs.

Muffy

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did run out of cheese, so I made smoked 10% ground beef to put on top of bread.
You apply smoked red bell pepper powder on meat to get it taste like smoked in a flash, wonderful stuff.

I wonder what is really name of the stuff in US English, but smoked Paprika ground, something like that:
Paprika - Wikipedia

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't feed our raccoons, but I do sit out at night and watch a big bull raccoon climb on top of the dumpster, lean over, and pull the door open. He goes in, gets what he wants, and the neighborhood cats follow when he leaves. I've seen him do it several times now.

Tonight, chicken salad. Tuesday is Monthly Shopping Day. I'll be getting the last few things for Thursday. I already have most of it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Today it is some chicken, a baked sweet potato, and a bit of very soft broccoli...

Tomorrow will be Italian.. We have a church party which is catered Italian food. Since I am on the social committee, and help serve the food, I get to take home leftovers!! I may even take a plastic container!! Why not??? Some nice soft pasta sounds good to me..

You should see all the elderly people bring their containers up to the buffet line, in addition to their serving plate!!! OMG..

Quite funny; especially when you know where they live, and that their meals are included in their rent!!! But, hey, it is church.. and we are to be charitable..

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tonight i'll be having some roast turkey for dinner. likely a microwaved potato, and some winter squash casserole -- it's slightly sweet and has cinnamon and nutmeg in it, so i'll consider that dessert.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You should see all the elderly people bring their containers up to the buffet line, in addition to their serving plate!!! OMG..

Quite funny; especially when you know where they live, and that their meals are included in their rent!!! But, hey, it is church.. and we are to be charitable..
Oh, but so often those meals are terribly bland, mostly because they are dealing with such a variety of diets. Your meal is probably the first interesting some of them have had in months!

Spaghetti tonight. OH...DRAT! I have to go take the turkey out of the freezer! I want to cook it on Wednesday. It will just be me, and I personally prefer my turkey cold, so I bake it the day before.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, but so often those meals are terribly bland, mostly because they are dealing with such a variety of diets. Your meal is probably the first interesting some of them have had in months!

Spaghetti tonight. OH...DRAT! I have to go take the turkey out of the freezer! I want to cook it on Wednesday. It will just be me, and I personally prefer my turkey cold, so I bake it the day before.
...and then you'll be able to relax and enjoy your Thanksgiving, without spending the day cooking and doing dishes. :agree:

tonight i'll heat up some cabbage roll casserole, a slice of bread with margarine, and a nanaimo bar for dessert.

Status
Not open for further replies.