What's best way to get rid of Lysol on carpet?

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sprayed some Lysol, not knowing it's bad for the cat, and I'm trying to get rid of the Lysol. I rubbed wet tissue into the carpet but it didn't work, I rubbed wet towel with a little soap (Irish Spring) on it too. Is there a better way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Most Lysol products are not recommended for use on your carpet. This is because they contain harsh chemicals that can leave residues on your carpet that are difficult to rinse out. You can generally ignore a small amount of Lysol residue that might be on your carpet because you sprayed it above the carpet. However, if you've sprayed Lysol directly on your carpet, you'll need to remove it so that it doesn't change the color and texture of your carpet." How to Get Lysol Out of Your Rug | Homesteady

Just to make sure, when using an extractor, would this solution be effective to get all the lysol out? Maybe I could add some vinegar into the solution to make it stronger at removing the lysol?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BV5LT27/?tag=thecatsite

The extractor I was thinking of buying was this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2MKX5C/?tag=thecatsite

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much did you put on the carpet? Was it the aerosol spray or regular Lysol?

A cheap way to "extract" it, if it's a small spot, is to soak it with water and put a towel on it, stand on the towel, let it soak up, replace the towel, snd keep doing that until it's mostly dry.

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was aerosol.
I guess I should do that but I thought it might be more time consuming.

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was maybe 3 sprays on two different spots on the carpet.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a box fan or an otherwise very strong fan? If so I can help

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What I've done when I've sprayed Lysol on a small area where Ruby has had an accident, I cover it with paper towels and leave them there for a few days, or until I'm confident it's dry. My carpeting is only in the basement, so it's not really in the way to leave the paper towel there. And Ruby ignores the paper towel, in fact, will walk around it. So maybe an option.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just blot the part that’s wet, pour a bit of warm water on it and blot up the liquid, pour again and blot, etc etc and repeat a few times or until you can’t see the stain anymore if there is one. This works for most carpet stains, pull up as much as you can and then dilute the stain and lift more of it out by blotting.

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can still smell the Lysol when I put my nose close to the carpet and I'm worried that the cat whenever passing by it might throw up again.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main ingredient in Lysol spray is ethyl alcohol. (58%)
The secondary ingredient is alkyl dimethylbenzyl ammonium saccharinate (0.10%)

That's just a very long name for a kind of hospital grade disinfectant.

Yes, it is somewhat harmful if misused but I wouldn't say that there's anything special about it that makes it unusually harmful to cats as opposed to any other animal. If you look at it in a certain way, you can say that it's supposed to be harmful. If we want to disinfect some surface, we have to kill bacteria. On the other hand, we aren't talking about nuclear fallout, either.

Lysol spray is just a household cleaning product that is perfectly safe as long as you use it properly, according to the directions on the label.

Lysol spray is good for hard surfaces like counter tops and bathroom fixtures. You should be more conservative about spraying it on things like upholstery and carpets. You should only spray enough to lightly mist the surface. You shouldn't saturate the material.

If you only used enough spray to lightly wet the surface of your carpet, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

If you used the recommended amount of spray, according to the directions, you would have sprayed less than a teaspoon of the solution on your carpet. Almost 60% of that amount would be alcohol which would evaporate after a few minutes. 39.9% of that amount would be water and fragrance. The last 0.1% would be the disinfectant chemical.

If you sprayed a whole teaspoon of Lysol on your carpet, only one part in 1,000 would be alkyl dimethylbenzyl ammonium saccharinate.
We're talking about one thousandth of a teaspoon. That is equivalent to 50 nano liters... A really, really small amount. You would need special laboratory equipment to measure an amount that small.

The area is probably well dried, by now, and virtually all of the chemicals have evaporated long ago.

Any smell you can detect is probably from the fragrances that they put in.

So, stop worrying. You aren't going to hurt your cat from spraying some Lysol on the carpet.