What You'd Only Admit To A Fellow Cat Person...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so awesome! :lol:
I never wanted to be a parent. But in the last year or so, I have had to step up and become cat dad instead of cat roommate. I can sort of see the appeal of parenting—I talk to her, sing to her, dance for her (whenever we open a new 5.5 oz can, I do a “new can dance”), give her nicknames, tell her “dad jokes”, and make faces at her. She is the toughest audience! I make sure her boxes are always clean (religiously so!), buy her toys and trees, enrich her environment, make it easier for her arthritis, bought her a medical device (Assisi Loop) for her arthritis, and generally keep her happy and healthy in her golden years. She returns the favor with clean plates, spicy poops, and lots and lots of love and affection. She’s the sweetest!

But I still don’t like tiny humans.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I just gave my two a jolly good talking to.. they just won't get on and I'd had enough. I started to lecture them and they both just sat down and looked at me, incredibly attentatively. I went on and on about sisterly/brotherly love and sharing and consideration for each other and they both just sat there, taking it all in. When I said 'well that's all I have to say on the matter. Just try to get on, will you? I makes for a much happier household' they both gave me a final look, got up and wandered off.
It was hilarious, but not something I would share with non-cat people. They just don't get it.

Also I leave the electric blanket on all day, even when it isn't very cold.

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The thing I'd hate to admit is vet bills. Not that we're complaining, but when you mention that you spent 2 grand to save a sick cat, they look at you like you're nuts. Even a lot of dog people will act like you're crazy to have spent money on a cat when you could have bought something expensive (and pointless) for your dog, like organic water or a fancy harness that stops pulling and somehow trains your dog to serve you bacon and eggs on Sunday mornings.
Two thousand bucks can buy a lot of stuff but it can't buy the love of any living thing. Keep your smart phones and smart pads and apple pods or whatever it is. I'll keep my little buddies :petcat:
I even hide my vet bills from my husband! A few months ago I suspected my cat ate some of my son’s medicine when we dropped the box on the floor. $1,800, 2 day stay thankfully she was and is safe and healthy!!! I told my husband it was $300!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
#1 has to be baby talk. I talk baby talk to all my fur babies. They all seem to really like it.
Sometimes when I’m board at work I fantasize that I brought Olive with me and she’s exploring the conference room. I imagine she’s walking on the table while my coworkers have a discussion, lol. Maybe that’s more about my boring job than my crazy cat status.

I don’t tell people I follow a cat forum. I don’t want to be branded as cat-crazy. :catman:
When I first watched the litter box video on the catinfo site, I was actually shoving people away from the box because I wanted to clean it "right" :lol:
You don't dare mention that to a brief acquaintance, unless you're grappling for an excuse to make sure it will be brief ;)
That is a lot of dogs and I can't comment on that, but I know people who own a lot of cats. My cousin has 10 cats, my uncle has about 20 (all rescues). Even though they change out the litter out once a week and keep the house as clean as possible, the house still has a overwhelming odor when you walk in the door. The males can spray and mark territory even if they're neutered. IMO, it is practically impossible to keep a totally odor-free home if there are more than 5 cats in the house.

Oh boy! So many great cat remarks and lovely secrets shared with us!

Baby talk. Sometimes. My Bonjure is convinced he is still a kitten. He gets rocked like a baby and he loves being held up to my shoulder. Baby talk goes with that. His song is Bonnie baby. Lol Each cat has their own song. Dolly is “Hello Dolly!” My vet knows all the songs and everyone there sings to my kitties. Lol They know that it eases stress with them. I don’t tell this to most people. They might think my singing to the kitties is a form of abuse. :lol:

I do tell about following a cat forum but I mostly deal with cat people. The folks in my life who are not cat people...... I figure they need to come here more than anyone else. Ignorance is not bliss , cats are bliss.

Litter box cleaning. Yeah. No one cleans them right but me. Lol I don’t tell non cat people that I refer to it as ,” panning for gold.”

As for cat odors, thankfully there are lots of great new products on the market now to eradicate strong odors. Diligent and frequent cleaning can keep a home odor free except for the odor of the cleaning products. No home is odor free whether there are pets or not. Food, fabrics etc. all scent a house. If I don’t tell people I have cats, they are surprised when one appears. I don’t tell non cat people that I have cats or how many cats I have because I find that if I do ,they enter the house with a preconceived idea that there will be an odor. They may even comment BEFORE entering. Really?!?!? Give it a chance! I won’t say that a recent box deposit might not perfume an area, :lol: but that only takes one cat! Quick! Pan for gold! :p

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 year old son has bad anxiety. Has since he was around 4 y/o. Our cat has two favorite balls. He takes one of her balls to school with him everyday and if he feels anxious he squeezes it in his pocket. He said it makes him think of his Karna and it calms him down. He’s embarrassed to tell his friends. Any time he’s anxious or even stressing homework he stops to play with his cat before finishing up. We got her as a family pet and never realized she’d actually be therapeutic for him!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 12 year old son has bad anxiety. Has since he was around 4 y/o. Our cat has two favorite balls. He takes one of her balls to school with him everyday and if he feels anxious he squeezes it in his pocket. He said it makes him think of his Karna and it calms him down. He’s embarrassed to tell his friends. Any time he’s anxious or even stressing homework he stops to play with his cat before finishing up. We got her as a family pet and never realized she’d actually be therapeutic for him!
I love that Karna helps! The kitties here helped my daughter too. Please tell your son that another person found comfort in a ribbon her kitty liked and having her purr against her. He is not alone in finding comfort in his kitty.:redheartpump:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for cat odors, thankfully there are lots of great new products on the market now to eradicate strong odors. Diligent and frequent cleaning can keep a home odor free except for the odor of the cleaning products. No home is odor free whether there are pets or not. Food, fabrics etc. all scent a house. If I don’t tell people I have cats, they are surprised when one appears. I don’t tell non cat people that I have cats or how many cats I have because I find that if I do ,they enter the house with a preconceived idea that there will be an odor. They may even comment BEFORE entering. Really?!?!? Give it a chance! I won’t say that a recent box deposit might not perfume an area, :lol: but that only takes one cat! Quick! Pan for gold! :p
:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:
If they comment on the recent box deposit not being a perfume area, mention that I bet their own bathroom doesn't smell like a dozen roses after they and their family are through. Shuts 'em up. If you're lucky, they blush a bit while sputtering for an argument that they don't have.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they comment on the recent box deposit not being a perfume area, mention that I bet their own bathroom doesn't smell like a dozen roses after they and their family are through. Shuts 'em up. If you're lucky, they blush a bit while sputtering for an argument that they don't have.
One of Krista's litterboxes is directly outside the bathroom. Sometimes we poop in tandem. She takes a probiotic so hers probably smells better.
:paperbag:

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of Krista's litterboxes is directly outside the bathroom. Sometimes we poop in tandem. She takes a probiotic so hers probably smells better.
Every morning when I go to take my intense 7 am pee, Aslan licks my knees and hops right in the box next to the toilet. He goes right along with me.

I’ve given up shutting the door, the racket he makes will wake the neighbors.

Plus I kind of like it....

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every morning when I go to take my intense 7 am pee, Aslan licks my knees and hops right in the box next to the toilet. He goes right along with me.

I’ve given up shutting the door, the racket he makes will wake the neighbors.

Plus I kind of like it....

I second all of the above! :flail:

Maybe I should just print these posts and attach them to my front door. That would sort out the riff raff. Too bad I can’t put it on my phone to end unwanted sales or scam calls. I know it would work.
This thread is priceless! Such a great idea! Loving it. :salute:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cookie isn't vocal and she's turning into a grumpy old lady so what I have to add isn't nearly as cute as everyone else's. She's had anal gland problems for the last 6 years so I'm constantly checking her butt because I can tell when the glands are starting to fill too much. If I don't notice in time they could get infected or burst. You should see the looks I've gotten from friends and family when, out of habit, I inspect her butt when she stretches or lift her tail to check quickly when she's in a good mood. Anal glands are small so I have to get a little close to get a clear view. If she's a little dirty in that region (she doesn't groom well due to age) I clean her off so I can see better. It's so easy to forget other people are around when I'm focused on checking on her!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cookie isn't vocal and she's turning into a grumpy old lady so what I have to add isn't nearly as cute as everyone else's. She's had anal gland problems for the last 6 years so I'm constantly checking her butt because I can tell when the glands are starting to fill too much. If I don't notice in time they could get infected or burst. You should see the looks I've gotten from friends and family when, out of habit, I inspect her butt when she stretches or lift her tail to check quickly when she's in a good mood. Anal glands are small so I have to get a little close to get a clear view. If she's a little dirty in that region (she doesn't groom well due to age) I clean her off so I can see better. It's so easy to forget other people are around when I'm focused on checking on her!
B189A8AD-257E-4996-B47C-4C6674D6F7BD.jpeg

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Count trills a lot. When he is awake and if I'm around, he trills at least once every 30 seconds. I always reply with a trill as well. If I told this to my friends they would think that I lost my mind. They already think that it is weird that I have a cat because I'm male.

Also another thing, I sometimes lightly bite his giant ears. He really likes it, I think it feels like I'm grooming him.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Count trills a lot. When he is awake and if I'm around, he trills at least once every 30 seconds. I always reply with a trill as well. If I told this to my friends they would think that I lost my mind. They already think that it is weird that I have a cat because I'm male.

Also another thing, I sometimes lightly bite his giant ears. He really likes it, I think it feels like I'm grooming him.
Oh, yeah. :) I like to nom Iris’s ears. Sadly, the other two won’t let me. Lily just draws away. I’m not brave enough to try Mocha’s ears; I might lose my face.

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did that to Flapjack's ears. Haven't tried it on the girl's though. I shall do that tomorrow :p

And Natasha smells like butter and flowers. Tulips I think? It's a dainty fragrance ^_^

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay...so you guys think going to the bathroom together is bad. Before my cat Benny used to jump on my lap while I was using the bathroom. I let him do that for a long time but I decided it's just too distracting lol. Now I just keep him busy on the floor with pets and chin scratches. :p