What You'd Only Admit To A Fellow Cat Person...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Is this going to be anything like the gal who made a thread about her boyfriend spilling toast crumbs all over the cat? That was hysterically funny :flail::flail::flail:
@lavishsqualor started it back in 2016 with an absolutely hysterical post, and several others piled on with some pretty fantastic cat huffing stories. After reading them all, I will admit to this forum—but no one else—that I tried to huff my cats. :lol:

Mocha smells like hay.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@lavishsqualor started it back in 2016 with an absolutely hysterical post, and several others piled on with some pretty fantastic cat huffing stories. After reading them all, I will admit to this forum—but no one else—that I tried to huff my cats. :lol:

Mocha smells like hay.
All our barn cats smell like hay :lol:
I gave two of ours a whiff, and one smells like grass (not that kind of grass :crazy:), and a certain imp who won't be named (it's Baby Girl) smells like cheese. Oh the shock :lol2:

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw everyone's confessions are so selfless...sometimes I wish I was a cat so I could lick my kitten ...she smells so good and her fur is so soft. Also so I could understand what shes meowing about.

As i'm already checking myself in I'll admit that im worried that my kitten will lose her smell, my two rescue cats, who I loved, smelt like old teddy bears.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes lick my cats faces, (just little flicks not full on slobber and full tongue:lol:)
I also know what all my cats are saying when they meow, I know the "I have to poop" meow, the "I just pooped" meow, the "I'm going to throw up" meow and so on...
My husband sings to our cats, something I'm sure he would not admit to everyone. He even makes up "real time" songs and sings them, depending on what they are doing at the time.
Many people would cringe at the thought that I have literally picked thru my cats poop to find a possible foreign object eaten.
The time, energy and money invested, including not going on a vacation/holiday/out of town for more than one day, for over 3 years when we were dealing with one of our cats who had CKD. My family and close friends get it, and if they don't, they at least don't say anything. But I have a feeling that some secretly rolled their eyes when we said no to a certain event, because of our cats.

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha I'm so glad you've said this I've gotten very close then thought to myself am I ok...I never wanted to lick my old cats but they did smell. Sometimes I think i can understand her, she's just in and out of sleep now and meowed it me I'm thinking she either wants me to stroke her or to shut up haha I'll get there one day.
Aw I also sing to my kitten she gets a medley of songs during play time mainly to keep me energised her favourite is my girl wants to party all the time

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha I'm so glad you've said this I've gotten very close then thought to myself am I ok...I never wanted to lick my old cats but they did smell. Sometimes I think i can understand her, she's just in and out of sleep now and meowed it me I'm thinking she either wants me to stroke her or to shut up haha I'll get there one day.
Aw I also sing to my kitten she gets a medley of songs during play time mainly to keep me energised her favourite is my girl wants to party all the time
I had a little tortie once that would roll and let out the highest pitched longwinded little squeak-chirp you've ever heard if I sang or whistled. She's been gone for decades but I always wondered if she was singing along, or just wishing she had a plate of rotten vegetables to throw at me :flail:
Haven't seen ya around, Luna92 Luna92 ! Welcome to TCS :welcomesign:

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a little tortie once that would roll and let out the highest pitched longwinded little squeak-chirp you've ever heard if I sang or whistled. She's been gone for decades but I always wondered if she was singing along, or just wishing she had a plate of rotten vegetables to throw at me :flail:
Haven't seen ya around, Luna92 Luna92 ! Welcome to TCS :welcomesign:
Aw that is adorable and one the best thing about cats you get to decide! I've decided that as my kitten does not attack me when I sing I must have a beautiful voice.
Thanks! I've been reading up for about a month, owning a kitten feels like a test I did not study for.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw that is adorable and one the best thing about cats you get to decide! I've decided that as my kitten does not attack me when I sing I must have a beautiful voice.
Thanks! I've been reading up for about a month, owning a kitten feels like a test I did not study for.
And TCS is your new cheat sheet ;):lol:
Kittens are probably the cutest animals on the planet. Just make sure she's got good food, access to water, a litter box, some toys and a lot of play time and you'll do great :wave3:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already feel weird and I didn't even start listing yet. Note I adopted my cat after she adopted me as a stray and had no preparations whatsoever. This year...
  • I read four books on cats and counting. They don't even say anything new but "just in case there is something I don't know."
  • I watched videos like "How to give the best massage to your cat"
  • Because she has some mysterious errors in her bloodwork and she was ill earlier this year, I rejected work trips to out of town. Hell, I refuse to go anywhere longer than like 14 hours and that should be for a good reason.
  • Because I can't stop her from roaming outside I take extra precautions for the things I can control. Including changing her water twice or more in 12 hours. And taking care of the stray cats around as much as possible so they won't get sick and pass it to my Hima.
I feel even weirder now tee hee.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I don't tell many people that I have far too many cats that stray into my yard and become part of my "cat family" . I mostly share these details only with fellow cat crazy folks here at The Cat Site and people I meet at the spay/neuter rescue shelter :lovecat2:
I have always hated the negative response to the people who have "too many cats" even before I ever had a cat. Almost always this means they rescued those cats. What is there to shame here or the crazy thing? Saving lives? I applaud you for helping them :rock:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to move down south, but I would be afraid to leave my cats even for a few hours. A deadly poisonous snake or spider could get into the house and kill them. :fear:NY is pretty safe, the snakes and spiders here aren't deadly.
It made me smile that you didn't say "A deadly poisonous snake or spider could kill them" and not "...could kill me/us."

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to be morbid but I care more about dying now because of my cats. Especially Benny. Before my attitude was more like ‘meh everyone dies why not me.’ But now I actually get worried about it because Benny isn’t an easy cat to care for and he’s a momma’s boy. And he needs raw food. I don’t want to leave him behind. He depends on me.
We have talked to our older daughter about taking care of our cats if something happens to my wife and me. She has a cat and is currently in vet school. So, I think our cats will be in good hands.

Our will specifies that our cats are to remain together and allocates money for their care for many years.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always hated the negative response to the people who have "too many cats" even before I ever had a cat. Almost always this means they rescued those cats. What is there to shame here or the crazy thing? Saving lives? I applaud you for helping them :rock:
I've seen people with 30 or more animals in their house that have a really clean pristine place because they are diligent about house breaking dogs and scooping boxes and general cleaning, and making sure everyone is healthy, and vet them when they're not.
I've also seen one unfortunate incident where a woman had one dog that was neglected so badly in her basement that animal control removed the dog. She wasn't sick or elderly, she just didn't like the dog and admitted it, and didn't take good care of her. In this type of case, "numbers" are stupid because someone can take care of a big number of animals well, and some can't take care of 1.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen people with 30 or more animals in their house that have a really clean pristine place because they are diligent about house breaking dogs and scooping boxes and general cleaning, and making sure everyone is healthy, and vet them when they're not.
I've also seen one unfortunate incident where a woman had one dog that was neglected so badly in her basement that animal control removed the dog. She wasn't sick or elderly, she just didn't like the dog and admitted it, and didn't take good care of her. In this type of case, "numbers" are stupid because someone can take care of a big number of animals well, and some can't take care of 1.
That is a lot of dogs and I can't comment on that, but I know people who own a lot of cats. My cousin has 10 cats, my uncle has about 20 (all rescues). Even though they change out the litter out once a week and keep the house as clean as possible, the house still has a overwhelming odor when you walk in the door. The males can spray and mark territory even if they're neutered. IMO, it is practically impossible to keep a totally odor-free home if there are more than 5 cats in the house.

GracieMae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid to admit to anyone that I'm obsessed with my 10 week old kitten. I'm trying to do everything perfect food, not to many vaccines, environmental... I have fostered for years and it's amazing to see them all go to forever homes... in the last few weeks I lost two bottle babies... it was my first lost fostering orphaned kittens and it just killed me... my husband kept saying you did everything you could but it didn't matter... it hurts and makes me have anxiety. The mom of this litter was an 8 month old drop off to a shelter and she had 6 kittens that 4 have made it. Since then I'm just worried about my kitten. Making sure she eats, poops, and all that jazz. I know I'm pushing my anxiety on her but she doesn't know that... I just am trying to prevent anything that can happen to her that I cant stop.

GracieMae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid to admit to anyone that I'm obsessed with my 10 week old kitten. I'm trying to do everything perfect food, not to many vaccines, environmental... I have fostered for years and it's amazing to see them all go to forever homes... in the last few weeks I lost two bottle babies... it was my first lost fostering orphaned kittens and it just killed me... my husband kept saying you did everything you could but it didn't matter... it hurts and makes me have anxiety. The mom of this litter was an 8 month old drop off to a shelter and she had 6 kittens that 4 have made it. Since then I'm just worried about my kitten. Making sure she eats, poops, and all that jazz. I know I'm pushing my anxiety on her but she doesn't know that... I just am trying to prevent anything that can happen to her that I cant stop.

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since her IBD, I've become a connosseiur of her poop. I have this great probiotic that has firmed them up and really cut the stink. Now it has what I call a "spicy" odor to it. Not overly offensive like before but still has a sharpness to it. But so does the food itself so I'm not concerned. But I have taken to calling her, "Captain Spicy Poop."

I sing her poop songs. She's been more regular lately but before I would ask her if this was the meal she would poop after. Eventually it became me singing the "doot doot doot" parts of Eric Church's Desperate Man as "poop poop, poop poop poop...." and ending that whole bit with "desperate cat!"

I know her pees from her poops by her digging pattern in the box. One time I went to burgle her bombs and found none. Don't ask me how I thought of this, but I started singing "no poop" to the Bewitched theme song.

You're welcome for those earworms. :D