What would you tell your past self?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
IMG_1078.JPG

I would tell myself that I don't need all of "the stuff". My cellar and above my garage and all of the closets are full of "stuff" that I really don't need. I'm trying to slowly go through it all now and get rid of it. I'd also tell myself to not spend so much money on eating out.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been really stingy for as long as I can remember, so there wouldn't be a whole lot. I think mostly some clothing articles that I barely ended up wearing. I still feel a bit stupid for spending so much on them while barely having worn them. I'd also try to convince myself to go thrift shopping earlier in life!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been pretty frugal/cheap...so not much, really. I have a few articles of clothing that I have only worn a couple of times that I could have done without.
The biggest thing would be that I wish I had bought a different house. The one I was drawn to was actually cheaper than the one we purchased, but my husband really wanted the one we are in now...I caved because "his house" seemed more important to him than "my house" was to me. I still wonder sometimes if we would have been better off in the house I wanted....and I can't help it because I drive by it everyday... ;)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, probably would have told myself not to buy my current car. I needed a car, but I should have bought a different one. This one has had so many problems, especially in this past year, that I wish I'd gone with a different one. It hasn't been worth it.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I spent too much on recreation(Eating out, going to the movies, etc). There were times where I cracked down and saved alot, but I spent much less time doing that than my wasteful spending. I wish I socked more money in my 401K and my savings. Too many emergencies came up where I could have used stashed away funds, rather than putting things on my credit card. Thankfully, I paid everything off that I put on them. 🙂

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was brought up to be practical so for the most part I don't live beyond my means. But if I had to think of something it would be shoes. I have trouble finding shoes in my size or that are comfortable. All the years of running took their toll on my feet so when I see something I like I buy the same shoe in two different colors.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have problems finding comfortable shoes. (I know, the real problem is my feet and not the shoes).
So, "Don't spend so much money on expensive shoes unless you're absolutely certain they are not going to hurt you!"
Cheap, or even cheaper shoes, are easier to throw out if they start to hurt your feet. But expensive ones are just taking up space in the cupboard - perhaps they'll be more comfortable one day!🙈

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
1. Clothes. I put in another thread awhile back that if I like something I buy it in all the colors because I read that Jackie Kennedy did that and I am so much like Jackie.:p

2.Sorry to say this one, but some 11th hour Hail Mary vet care that I have allowed, especially when the results of whatever test was being run were not going to be acted upon in the first place. This includes one experimental treatment for one of my GSDs.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don’t ask my husband this... :lol:

I’m thinking any sort of multi-level marketing “business.” DH and I paid off approximately 25k in credit card debt thanks to one “learning experience”. We basically put all of my salary towards that and saving for a house for several years. So just say NO to debt. Avoid all possible debt that you can.