What Would You Do?

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I'm getting vibes that letting my little cat in the backyard may be more risky than I thought (my parents said that they heard some noise - They're not sure what animal made it - and saw Felix come running towards the house with a larger cat chasing him). I checked him over, and he does not have any injuries.

My concerns about letting him outside are partly selfish (I can't afford to treat an infected wound, if it can be prevented) and partly out of protectiveness towards my little guy (he's petite - about 8 lbs - and shy - so I'm not sure he could hold his own with other cats).

My concern about keeping him inside is that he will get bored with out more stimulation, and that my parents won't be able to (and shouldn't have to) put up with the transition period and him begging to go out.

Felix is a neutered male. Do tomcats see other male cat (even if they're are neutered) as a threat?

Last edited:

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have honestly no idea but of you have doubts I would not for the moment let him out. Better to be safe than sorry. I would then scout the area for all potential dangers and then decide. If I still have doubts I would leash train him

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a territory thing more than a threat thing. Yes they will chase him off. He will most likely not fight back. But if they can corner him they will hurt him. Homer is an inside cat because of the three Toms that patrol the area. The three of them have an uneasy truce and fight with each other occasionally but they will not tolerate outsiders in their area. Two of them have 1 eye and one has no front teeth and they are all three covered in scars. Two of my neighbors (on opposites sides of me) feed them. They have a timed arrangement thing so they don't meet each other going back and forth across my yard.

The neighbors did the catch and spay thing for all the neighbor female strays years ago. That solved that problem and the females either have died or moved on. Those three toms though are not neutered, and they share the territory even though there are no females here anymore.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would never suggest a cat go outside. Under any circumstances unless you are out there with them in a controlled environment and have your eye on them all the time or if you have them on a leash and harness. If you’re wanting outdoor time I would suggest a harness and leash. And weekly/daily walks. It took my first cat going out one time (by mistake of a family member) for her to almost have her leg torn off. There is nothing good for a cat outside. There are wild animals, other cats (which hopefully you can contact your local trap fix and release place to have the cat you’re seeing outside neutered if he isn’t already) poisons, fleas, parasite infested rodents and bird. Not to mention cats are a huge invasive species in most of the world. They are the cause for hundreds of species of birds and lizards going exstinct since they were domesticated. There are plenty of ways to enrich a cats life safely. Such as playing with them often with a variety of toys (or if you have to leave them alone for long periods of time during the day try interactive toys they can play with themselves) and taking them on walks if you do want them to have that outdoor time just be weary of fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will keep an eye on it. If the other cat becomes a problem again, or if he starts acting afraid rather than happy to be outside, I will keep him in. As far as putting him on a leash goes, I wish he would take it. I tried it once, and he went a limp on me (in an I'm afraid sort of way, not in an I refuse to wear this contraption sort of way).

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The key is patience and doing it slowly. Just let the harness close to her toys for a few days, then putting it on while giving her treats ect.. You stop when his is unconfortable and you rewared her patience. That way he will associate the harness with good things. However ultimately it is about being able to go out so it will work only if you make him an indoor cat first