What would you do in my situation?

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding 4 feral cats since 2008, Mama cat and her 3 daughters. They have never had to hunt or search for food. They pretty much live on my front porch hiding in the shelters and flower beds.

I got a vacate notice from my landlord today and have to be out of here by Sept. 30. I am on a housing program and can't take the cats with me. I don't even know if I will find a place when my time is up. It's very hard to find places that take section 8. Do I board up the opening that leads under the house so they can't get trapped down there and leave them here OR my only option is to try and trap them and put them to sleep.

I have been searching for someone to take them since 2011 without any luck. My neighbors are saying they need to be removed because nobody wants them here and they will starve to death if they stick around here. They sit on my front porch looking at the window waiting for me to come out with the food.

I feed them on a timed schedule  same time morning and night and they each get their own dish. They are not feral cats who just pop in every now and then. They are like my own pets but live out doors.

I am so upset and can't stop crying. I don't know what will happen to my babies.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I would do is call every single animal rescue/shelter group anywhere within reasonable distance and beg for help. I don't know where you live, but where I am...not a huge city..medium sized, there are at least eight places that I can think of off the top of my head. Even if they couldn't take the Cats, they might have some suggestions. I wish you luck..it's so hard when they have become dependent on you for their survival and suddenly you find yourself in a position of trying to survive yourself. Have they been spayed? I assume so or there would be a lot more than 4.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this; you are in a tough situation.

Did you use a rescue or program to spay them? If so, perhaps there is someone in that group who might have suggestions. Because you have such a short timeline, can you ask someone to keep them temporarily - it may give you time to find a home where you may be able to keep them.

I hate to say this but if leaving them or putting them to sleep are the only two choices, I would think putting them to sleep would be more humane. As you said, no one will feed them and they will surely, slowly starve.

The only other thing I can think of is for you to keep coming back to feed them, although I feel pretty sure the landlord won't be too happy about that.

I am praying that you find a solution for this situation.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried one more time trying to find someone to take and relocate my 4 beautiful ferals but again nobody can help me. All I hear from everyone one is sorry wish we could help you.

I have to start trying to trap them which is going to be impossible. I have never been able to trap any of them since they were spayed back in 2009. Even when one was injured I was not able to trap her. They will lay on top of the traps and nap but will not enter at all and believe me I tried everything that would attract them inside the trap.

I am so heart broken and don't know if I can do this. I try and tell myself  that this is the right thing to do for them so they won't starve to death. The hardest part for me will be whoever I trap first will be the first one to go but I love them all and again don't know if I have the heart to do this.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your location says Washington state but not what area so you might want to look though the lists from these links to see if any of them are close to you and even if they aren't, they might be able to recommend someone who can help you. Are they true ferals? Semi-ferals? I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm in Florida so there's not much I can do for you except try to help you find resources.

http://cat.rescueshelter.com/Washington

http://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/feral-cats/other-resources/

http://www.hoosierkitties.com/rescue/washington.htm

http://www.feralcare.org

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in Vancouver, Washington.....close to Portland Oregon. Thanks for the links but like I said I have tried everything, I even wrote the talk show host Ellen because I know she loves helping animals. I had them spayed through the Feral Cat Coalition and I have wrote them several times but they just say sorry for your situation and wish me luck.

I think I might have convinced my landlord to let me stay a little longer but I will pay a big price for that. She is a greedy lady who cares for nobody but herself. I know I have to try and trap them and it will take time. I have also made myself so sick from the stress, not eating, sleeping and just so weak from crying all the time. I have no friends or relatives to help me out. I also have to find rides to take the cats in when they are trapped because I don't have a car. I am just so stressed out over all this.

Thanks for listening, I don't have anyone to talk to about this.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried any resources in Oregon since the ones in Washington didn't pan out? Maybe they can reach out to someone in their network who is already caring for a colony and is willing to take a few more?

@Feralvr   @Ondine @ShadowsRescue    Do any of you have any ideas about what Snugglecat can do to try to save her cats?

Here are a couple links to places in Oregon in case you need them.

http://feralcats.com

http://feraltrapping.com

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE on my situation. My landlord let me stay and the best news is the woman who is very interested in buying the duplex I live in is going to let me continue living here if the sale goes through. I met her yesterday when the place was being inspected. She is a very nice caring lady and likes animals as much as I do. She was so sweet to me and even took my hand and said don't worry about anything because I want you to stay here and she will live in the other part of the duplex.

I am so happy and praying that this sale goes through because even if I were to move I think she would be willing to continue feeding them. I of course would even supply the food for them. Please send any prayers this way that this woman gets to buy this place. My landlord I have now is such a crazy person and I get so stressed out by her.

Thanks for all your support.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great, I'm so happy for you and your little colony.

I really hope this works out for you. Keep us posted.

Vibes for a nice new land lady for you all.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Snugglecat- I am just catching up on posts.This one is a few weeks old but I was wondering what happened.Is the women able to buy the property?I hope so. I do hope you will update.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any update so that's why I haven't said anything. I am still living here and taking care of my furbabies. I was just told yesterday that the papers are being signed next Tuesday. I did not get this news from my landlord so I don't know if it's true or not. I have not seen the lady who is buying since that one day she was here for the inspection. I do know she wanted the people who live on the other side of duplex out and they moved out the beginning of November so I would think we still get to stay or we would have gotten our notice to move before the sale is final.

I guess I will know more next week. Thanks for checking up on my situation. I just hope this woman is really nice and wasn't putting on a show for everyone.