What would cause this behavior?

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am just asking about this from something that happened before. Cat sound a sleep on the sofa, i hear a loud meowing sound she jumps off the sofa and was standing there confused with drool coming out of her mouth it was basically running onto the floor... Also after this i noticed she had peed on the sofa before she jumped down... This happened twice, not in the same day but two different occasions... After a few minutes she seemed fine, could it have been a nightmare or something?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to get your cat to the vet ASAP. She may have a UTI which is extremely painful and dangerous.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It doesn't sound too much like a UTI, but the vet would certainly want to check for that while she is there - one just never knows, as cats have many different ways of exhibiting UTI issues/pain. Does she have any other 'unusual' behaviors - such as, twitching in her sleep? It does sound like it could be some form of seizure. If there is any other 'out of the norm' behaviors (how ever small/seemingly insignificant) you can think of that might help the vet, make a list to give them.

How old is your girl and how long have you had her? Were these events just very recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. It doesn't sound too much like a UTI, but the vet would certainly want to check for that while she is there - one just never knows, as cats have many different ways of exhibiting UTI issues/pain. Does she have any other 'unusual' behaviors - such as, twitching in her sleep? It does sound like it could be some form of seizure. If there is any other 'out of the norm' behaviors (how ever small/seemingly insignificant) you can think of that might help the vet, make a list to give them.

How old is your girl and how long have you had her? Were these events just very recently?
this happened i remember the first time awhile back, and just happened 2 days ago now.. The thing is i dont really notice anything else that is unusual though... It is concerning if it is a seizure i thought it was strange because i never seen a cat do that but I am not super experienced or anything she just got up from sleep and stood there shortly kind of like she was in shock and drool coming from her mouth and took her a few minutes to compose herself... If it was a seizure it did not seem like a prolonged one and it was just sudden. She is just about a year old now, and have had her from about 3 months old im just guessing because we found her outside most likely after someone abandoned her or the mother cat. Will probably have to take her to the vet to know more.

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we took her to the vet earlier today in the morning over here, luckily at least from what the vet said it doesnt sound serious they said most likely just a bacterial infection and we got some meds to start to give her tomorrow as they gave her a shot of something. She said that she had a fever as well... I can tell now that she did feel warmer then the other cats. They said keep an eye on her and if she doesnt improve we can bring her back again, the doctor also said about the episode i described with you guys about drooling they said it could of been a cause of being sick or the fever itself.. But I had cats before who had a fever im pretty sure but not sure about the peeing on the sofa and drooling part related to fever but maybe this one is different.

Well a lot of stuff going on here lately with my cats, have to go tomorrow as well to checkup my other cat before we spay her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the doctor also said about the episode i described with you guys about drooling they said it could of been a cause of being sick or the fever itself.. But I had cats before who had a fever im pretty sure but not sure about the peeing on the sofa and drooling part related to fever but maybe this one is different.
Well, I hope what the vet gave her cures her! But, the explanation by the vet of 'being sick or the fever itself' seems a bit of a stretch given that she had an incident, as you said, 'awhile back'. So, I guess that would mean she has had a fever or been sick for quite a while?!?! Another thing - make sure you know what the vet gave her. It is important you know the names of the meds she is taking and what exactly they are for.

Be prepared (I know that is going to be hard) to video another incident - hopefully you will be prepared for nothing! If it should happen again and you have video of it - especially after her treatment is over - I think the vet will have to take another approach in trying to figure it out. Lastly, just watch out for other 'out of the ordinary' behaviors, just in case...

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I hope what the vet gave her cures her! But, the explanation by the vet of 'being sick or the fever itself' seems a bit of a stretch given that she had an incident, as you said, 'awhile back'. So, I guess that would mean she has had a fever or been sick for quite a while?!?! Another thing - make sure you know what the vet gave her. It is important you know the names of the meds she is taking and what exactly they are for.

Be prepared (I know that is going to be hard) to video another incident - hopefully you will be prepared for nothing! If it should happen again and you have video of it - especially after her treatment is over - I think the vet will have to take another approach in trying to figure it out. Lastly, just watch out for other 'out of the ordinary' behaviors, just in case...
Okay yes I will do that, good idea about the video I should of done that before it just happens so quickly. All I can think is maybe she had some lingering infection possibly and started feeling better and perhaps it intensified the last time a few days ago. I probably mentioned this before but the vets here dont go into great details because its Thailand and their english is limited.