What would be the best way to get rid of some poo stuck on fur on cat's butt?

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of cutting it with scissors but it seems dangerous and also putting it in a basin and using cat shampoo, but I'm not sure if she will stay put.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you just place her on a towel and hold a wet cloth to the area to see if that is enough to loosen it? Once loosened and softer, lightly washing the area followed by a very gentle drying and combing should suffice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can have someone hold the cat, a quick snip with preferably blunt tip scissors would work. Otherwise, soften the dried on poop with a damp cloth and try to tug or comb it off gently.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear gloves, dampen the spot with a warm damp cloth and then see if you can pick it out. If it’s more a smear than clumps then you might have to either do a spot wash or a full bath. If you need to bath the cat, an enclosed shower space, a couple buckets of water and a sponge makes it much easier to shampoo and rinse the cat.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a fluff girl who will do anything to avoid water. I found that if I have to use flowing water, pouring it from a container is less frightening that running water from a faucet.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to deal with this on a regular basis. Susanm and Jcatbird pretty much got it. Try a gently wiping with damp paper towel, if it comes off done. If hard/stuck on, hold a couple of paper towels soaked in luke warm water til loosens. The only time Id use scissors if its stuck on the tip of her fur (nowhere near skin).

If its a huge mess... wipe off what you can, bathe her, plenty of tips on here how, I use something about the size of a large sink (or the basement sink) again, luke warm water, let her hold her onto the rim with her front paws (so she doesnt feel trapped) and have a couple of pitchers of water. rinse her with the pitcher water. Baths are stressful for cats, running water just makes it scarier hence pitchers. The water level shouldnt go higher than her hind legs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to deal with this on a regular basis. Susanm and Jcatbird pretty much got it. Try a gently wiping with damp paper towel, if it comes off done. If hard/stuck on, hold a couple of paper towels soaked in luke warm water til loosens. The only time Id use scissors if its stuck on the tip of her fur (nowhere near skin).

If its a huge mess... wipe off what you can, bathe her, plenty of tips on here how, I use something about the size of a large sink (or the basement sink) again, luke warm water, let her hold her onto the rim with her front paws (so she doesnt feel trapped) and have a couple of pitchers of water. rinse her with the pitcher water. Baths are stressful for cats, running water just makes it scarier hence pitchers. The water level shouldnt go higher than her hind legs
Could you post a picture of the bath tub for cats or a link to where I can buy something like that?

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you post a picture of the bath tub for cats or a link to where I can buy something like that?
i have a big sink in the basement (like a typical kitchen sink), that's my cat bathtub. Plenty of people use their kitchen sink (i find that icky). When I didnt have a place with a spare sink Ive used a storage tote like this, and those hard bins people use for recycling/storing documents.

I have the one I linked, Lowes has a comparable product, if you're in the US theres probably a dozen of both close to you.
These totes are the cheapest thing that is durable enough to hold a cat and a few gallons of water for a while.

Those clear flimsy bend if you put a few gallons of water in them.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also use a simple dish drainer board that is slanted/sloped, at your kitchen sink - if you aren't concerned from that standpoint. Lay a towel on it before placing the cat on it to help with any slippage. In the sink set up two small tubs/bowls of water, one with some basic Dawn detergent if you are planning on using soap. A couple of soft wash cloths, one for washing and one for rinsing, and another larger towel for drying. If you don't want to use the sink, you can use the same set up in a bathtub. The point is to use a sloped item to place your cat on so that the water is drained away from her by gravity, reducing the amount of area on her that needs to get wet.

6x16inside

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A diaper wipe. Try while asleep and if no go, swaddle her body tightly and have a helper hold her while you gently deal with it speaking softly about mommies bottoms special attention sometimes etc 😄

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i put petroleum jelly on my cats butt. my fluffy girl never again let her butt get dirty! :crackup:

Last edited:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am SO spoiled with Theodore. I gave him his monthly bath this morning in the kitchen sink. He was a little apprehensive as I held him while adjusting temp of the sprayer but, he started purring the moment I started wetting his fur down. He is so good about bath time. He feels so good now that he is racing around the house! The worst part of bath time is that it takes forever to get him dry after! He smells pretty now! :blush: