What would be less stressful for cat re. Moving overseas

Tigermum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all

We are planning to move overseas from Australia to the USA later this year and we have concerns about taking our cat Tiger.
We will be moving from a rural environment to an urban environment and to a much colder climate.
A neighbour has offered to look after our cat while we are overseas (5years) so we are considering whether this would be kinder to Tiger.
In your opinion; would it be less stressful for Tiger to stay in his current environment but with a new family or to go with his current family to a new environment including a 14 hour overseas flight?

Currently he has access to the outdoors which he may not have after we move.

many thanks in advance for your advice

Attachments

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is based on my personal opinion and experience with my own cat, so take it with a grain of salt, and you know your cat best!

5 years is a long time the cat stayed with the neighbor. I think maybe depending on who Tiger has a stronger bond with could be a big decider if Tiger's best interest is what you want. This is completely up to you!

However, if you do take him, know that a 14 hour flight isn't the end of the world! I flew twice, US > China and back, about 13 hours each. My cat was fine the entire time... he didn't enjoy it and meowed a little during take off but basically just slept it off. I did a lot of reading to make sure he wouldn't have issues with going to the bathroom midway. He was only a mildly skittish cat, ok with strangers after observing but disliked noise. I did not need to medicate him in any way. Definitely take him with you in cabin! My cat is on the larger side but I could take him with me even tho technically he didn't meet the "stand up fully" requirements I saw on some sites. If you're worried about 14 hours being long, you can do a connection in between for him and yourself, but personally I like a straight shot to minimize time and exposure to possibly scary new places to him.

In terms of environmental changes, my cat was never an outdoor cat, but he went from having the run of a 4000 sq ft home to staying mostly in my bedroom for 3 years in my parents apartment in China. He was perfectly fine and happy as I provided him everything he could ever need in that room. Occasionally he would get the run of the rest of the apartment as well. Since then he has moved with me to a dank above ground basement, a bedroom again, and now a 900 sq ft apartment. He has been fine in all of them as I made sure to provide all the enrichment he wanted and attention. Weather hasn't really mattered to him since he is indoor only.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to bring the cat, make sure you check with the airline and the laws of the US state. The US as a country doesn't impose much in the way of requirements, but there can be additional issues at the the state level. Cats | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

14 hours is a blip in the cats life, so its mostly just about moving. And generally if you can fit the carrier under the seat, a cat doesn't have to travel in the belly of the plane (check with airline). People move with cats all the time and they generally adjust. And its not like the cat wouldn't have to adjust to your neighbors, right?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I moved to the west coast of the US from the UK with a cat and was glad I did so.

I suggest keeping Tiger indoors when you get here. I've seen too many dead cats outside to do otherwise.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only a long flight but a quarantine period for pets entering Australia.
They are moving to the US from Australia, and the US does not have a country wide quarrantine policy for cats, although certain states may require it. However, they are moving back in 5 years, so your point is nonetheless very relevant, as the cat would be subject to Australia's quarrantine on the back end.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, unless your cat has strong anxiety or nervousness issues, even quarantine will be fine. My cat had to be quarantined when brought to China for 2 weeks at their boarding and 2 weeks at my home. I was very worried but when I picked him up in 2 weeks he was happy to see me and nothing happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigermum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your helpful advice!
My heart also tells me to take him with us, and I am so very grateful that this is also the general consensus on the forum.
THANK YOU! 😻