What word or phrase is a pop culture "trigger" for you.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So there are quite a few words and phrases, that come from shows/movies/commercials, that have completely taken over my brain. I can NOT hear or see them without thinking of or completing the sentence in my head...doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing...
For example,
If I hear someone say, "This one time..." I will without fail, in my head, finish it with "at band camp"...
If someone asks "Who you gonna call?" or any variation that questions calling someone, I will always think "ghostbusters!"
I also have a client who's first name is Jake. Every time I see him on my schedule...My brain says, "Jake...Jake from Statefarm".
And if I hear or even read the word "pivot", my brain will automatically yell at me (in Ross's voice)....."pivot!...Pivot!...PIVOT!"

I know there are other words and phrases that will automatically trigger a pop culture reference for me, I just can't think of them right now. So how about you...what are some of your triggers?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Which way do you want to go?" ... my brain goes, "up or down? She chose down! Too late now."

BTW, always chose up... which is just good life advice. Always go up to better options.

And it's from Labyrinth the helping hands.

labyrinth_guide___helping_hand_by_chaotica_i_d3a0ydi-fullview.jpg

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a few, but they are mostly from old YouTube videos that my friends and I used to watch in college. And for some reason, most are food related! :lol:

Bananas trigger either the "put a banana in your ear" song from Charlie the Unicorn, or this weird old "ba-na-na-na" video we used to watch.

Milk gets me with "we're all saying MALK, Josh!", which is another obscure video.

Not really the same, but it took me awhile to stop saying "salad" with the inflection that Marcel the Shell does, lol.

Whenever someone is hungry, I will think, "your stomach had the rumblies that only hands could satisfy" - from Llamas with hats.

And, this one isn't from YouTube, but whenever I see a potato I think "potato man!", which is from a Simpsons episode.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean, can anyone slowly say "oh my God" without filling in "Becky, look at her butt", at least internally? :lol:
Depends on how slow...I've been watching a lot of Friends lately. If it's said with "conviction" I tend to hear Janet's voice.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so much phrases as songs: sometimes for no reason the Dr. Pepper ads with David Naughton get stuck in my head, as does the “I’d like to sing a song for you” Coke commercials, even though I never drink either. Wish I could reach into my brain and click the off button.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coca Cola commercials really stick in my mind even going back many years. They seem to get good people to do their commercials. The two that I remember the most is one that goes way back 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing in Perfect Harmony. The other one is the Christmas commercials with the truck convoys decked out in Christmas lights 'The Holidays are Coming'.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if it counts as pop culture but someone started to say “What is your favourite“ the other day and I immediately thought of the Bridge of Death scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. “What is your favourite colour? What is the average flying speed of an unladen swallow?” “European or African swallow?” “I don’t know AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!”

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family's favorite movie is The Jerk, so pretty much anything related to that movie triggers a lot of memories. "My story?", "I don't need my dog...", "One dollar and NINE CENTS!", "He hates these cans!"

There were these GI Joe PSA parodies (originally on Ebaum's World) that were popular among my friends when I was in college and it is still something we all quote today. They are so stupid but we love them. One that I said recently was, "Hey Kid! I'm a computer. Stop all the downloading!" and my 4 year old niece thought it was the absolute funniest thing in the world (I did it in the weird voice from the video too). Who knew me quoting some random videos I enjoyed as an 18 year old would be entertaining my niece 18 years later. :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anytime I feel overworked, I have a burning desire to shout "I'm right on top of that, Rose!"

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t know if it counts as pop culture but someone started to say “What is your favourite“ the other day and I immediately thought of the Bridge of Death scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. “What is your favourite colour? What is the average flying speed of an unladen swallow?” “European or African swallow?” “I don’t know AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!”
Whenever something at work breaks, I *always* think "THIS IS AN EX (thing)!!!"

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week I sang Barry White's You're My First, My Last, My Everything over and over.
just couldn't get it out of my head, ha!!!