What Weird Thing Do You Collect?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed as I was picking up what seemed like an inordinate amount of dog toys this morning that it seems like I'm collecting squeaky stuffed animals. In all actuality, I love collecting all sorts of weird nature artifacts...particularly bones, feathers, fur, cool bits of plants, fossils, etc. I think the weirdest thing in my collection is a mummified cat, which is creepy AND gross. I live on acres of woods, and hiked around the woods for a living there for a while, so lots of dead stuff finds me. I figure the least I can do is bring it inside and appreciate it...surprisingly, my boyfriend is all for it. He collects rocks/minerals(whatever you want to call them), so many areas of my house are decorated with tiny grids of animal bones and clumps of crystals or slabs of pretty minerals.

As a child, I collected Littlest Pet Shops, Breyer horses, and coins, which is a lot less weird, I suppose.

What about you guys?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect old tins. Like Coca Cola tins, Hershey's, Ritz, and I have them all around my kitchen.
This is the one I've been keeping my eye out for...
upload_2017-7-12_14-34-15.png

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
upload_2017-7-12_14-37-1.png
I also really Like Crisco. I have a Crisco glass JAR that has to be from the 1920's at least. It is so cool.
I really want a tin though too like this to add to my collection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These are cool!! I have an old tobacco tin that I keep loose $$ in. It looks like this (not my pic):

I always thought it'd be cool to have an old animal cracker tin :p

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Being a child care provider I collect all kinds of stuff - your "junk" is my treasure! The best thing about re-using stuff is that I don't care if it gets ruined because it didn't cost me anything to begin with.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't collect these, as this is the only one I have. But for some reason I have kept it.

IMG_0008.JPG

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought it'd be cool to have an old animal cracker tin :p
Yea that would be cool I didn't think about that. Like this....
upload_2017-7-13_9-43-21.png The square ones came later; these round ones are older. Ok, so Folger's and Animal Crakers are at the top of my list.

I collect the old pennies that have wheat on them. I have about 600 of them. I've been collecting them since the 60's.
I also collect pennies! I collect Wheat Pennies, and those flattened pennies that you get as souvenirs. But I don't have as many as you do! I wasn't even alive in the 60's, haha.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect odd place names like Toad Suck, AR, Hungry Horse and Plenty Grass MT, Cut and Shoot TX, and a very, very long list of others. I have a book of how many Texas places got their names. Uncertain, in East Texas, was so named because when someone asked the name of the town, the residents were "Uncertain". Cut and Shoot was so named because of a two-family feud that came to a head in the local church. A kid said when all the cuttin' and shootin' started, he hid under a pew. Kentucky has many unusual names. I'd like to visit some of these places. Cut and Shoot isn't too far from here and I've been there and to Uncertain.
P5180076.JPG.jpg

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to start collecting old English tiles, from the 19th century and early 20th century. It's the patina on them that attracts me, the chips and flea bites in them, the wear, the history. I only have a handful of them right now, but I do like this one of mine:
old-tile.jpg

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I collect items from the dairy that my father was a door-to-door milkman for.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All this stuff is so cool!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon . Interested in the names of towns? Here in PA, we have Intercourse and we have Blue Ball. About an hour north of Blue Ball is Virginville. And then there's Paradise and Bird-in-Hand.

About 200 miles away from Intercourse is Climax.
I don't know what these people were thinking!

But I digress....sorry.

muffy muffy , I have quite a few old wheat-head pennies, too.

I collect the old Fantastic Four comic books. My earliest, alas, is only #4.....there's no way I can afford the very first one. I also have some old Batman comics. I'd like to get them on Ebay or sell them, just to get rid of them at this point.

I used to collect bells; when we go to various places while on vacation, I'll buy a bell from that place.

And I mentioned cookbooks in the Guilty Pleasures thread.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should start collecting cookbooks, if for no other reason than it'd be nice to add some new meals into my rotation :lol:

And I'd love to start collecting honey-- just the tiny little bottles-- from every state. I have PA, MD, OH, IL, and IN right now.

Do any of you enjoy antique stores?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Count me in! One of my GFs loves to peruse antique stores and, when she could still walk OK, we used to spend hours perusing antique stores and malls. I didn't ever buy much, but it's interesting to see what's for sale and how much some of the stuff is worth. It's also interesting to know that quite a bit of my kitchen stash is now considered vintage!

I bought a gorgeous set of 12 wine glasses at an old antiques barn a couple years ago. I believe that things should be used, much to my GF's chagrin. I use my wine glasses and I really like them. Something a litte different.

That's neat about collecting honey.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Miniature pots, mostly ceramic.
My favorites are by one specific artist, who passed on a few years ago. Lovely little Raku style. They are great for very small flower stems.
Here's a couple of them:
pots 2.jpg
pots 1.jpg

I have others that are glass, and many others that area also ceramic but much different styles.