What Weird Food Do Your Cats Like?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
(This is a jump-off from a side-conversation within a thread in the Nutrition section.)

What completely weird foods do your cats go crazy for?

My old cat Delia (RIP) loved plain corn chips, black olives, and once I caught her happily eating my curry-filled Indian food! :eek:

My current little boy Alasdair got very excited and took a bite of a pumpkin spice muffin I was snacking on the other day. He NEVER goes for my food. :dunno:

Give us your weirdest!!!

:flail:

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My previous cat Nix (bless his little soul) was the biggest weirdo...he once dipped his nose in a pat of wasabi, ran around the house flinging drool everywhere, and then ran back to BEG loudly for more.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Hank (RIP) loved any potato or corn chip, also black olives, green peppers and went ABSOLUTELY NUTS :runaround:for chick peas, like try to crawl up my body to get them, knock the fork out of my hand and even paw at my mouth and try to open it if i'm chewing nuts. I had to try to be a ninja when I was preparing food that contained chick peas, it never really worked though. So I just threw them across the house, for him to chase and find to give me time alone in the kitchen.

Our other two seem to only be interested in normal "human" food like chicken, tuna..... for the most part.
Although Toby is RELENTLESS to get a piece of whatever we are eating for dinner.
And Chewie will follow me around and try to paw at my plate if I have toast for a snack. I'll let him lick up the crumbs left behind on the plate when I'm done.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan loves asparagus and coffee. My old roommates cat Leia also loved coffee. We would fill toys with coffee beans instead of catnip, and at the end dipping her medicine in coffee was the only way she would eat it.

Olive begged for the raw bacon we were cooking but had no interest in it when it was cooked.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tawny loved popcorn - every time I would make it, up he would jump on the couch beside me waiting for his share!

He also loved Vaseline, which I used to feed him to prevent hairballs.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan loves to eat fur - I don’t think it matters to him if it was another cat’s or his. Maybe he is jealous that Trin has hair balls once in a while and he wants to see what it’s like ...

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tommy goes hog wild feral kitten when I get out the mayonnaise. Everything else is pretty much game, too. But he's the biggest jerk in the world for mayo.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan loves to eat fur - I don’t think it matters to him if it was another cat’s or his.
My cats do the same thing! I don't get it. Although I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never fully understand the different quirks of some cats. :lol: I have to be on watch if I'm brushing one of the cats, if another one comes around, he'll sniff at the fur pile and start licking up and eating it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh yeah, the fur thing! I had forgotten about it. Initially when I first got Feeby and brushed her, she wanted to "sniff" the brush. Turns out it wasn't sniffing that she wanted! She snatched the hair out of the brush and chomped it down! After multiple attempts to do the same thing, she no longer is allowed to "sniff" the brush!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan loves asparagus and coffee. My old roommates cat Leia also loved coffee. We would fill toys with coffee beans instead of catnip, and at the end dipping her medicine in coffee was the only way she would eat it.

Olive begged for the raw bacon we were cooking but had no interest in it when it was cooked.

Oh, this so reminds me of my former cat Murphy who just adored coffee. If I looked the other way her paw would be in my cup for a dip and suck in an instant. She would stare at my cup with such longing that not every day but often enough I would pour out a few drops for her so she could get her fix along with me. When she was younger, I thought it might be that what she liked was the creamer in the coffee. Then I caught her on the counter eating spilled coffee grounds.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lily will eat anything, and I mean anything, even a jalapeno bagel. She loves popcorn and anything spicy like BBQ potato chips and Cheetos. I let her wash my plate after I eat dinner. Mingo despises these foods, but that doesn't mean he doesn't try to take it away from her. When he sees her eating a handout, he chases her away, smells the food, then scratches around it trying to cover it up with litter. Cats!

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Olivie loves cookies!! But they have to be home-made cookies that I baked, not store bought! She also loves home-made corn bread.

Hotaru likes bread; and she also has a taste for butter and cooking oil, but I don't let her have those because they make her puke.

C'est Moi doesn't really care for any human foods, except for tuna fish and turkey.

MischiefManaged

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Sylvie stole cooked bacon off the table once. We then learned that we couldn't just keep it out. xD Also, my male cat Neville loves to eat plastic. :/

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Last Thanksgiving, Gizmo just about lost his mind over canned green beans. I only gave him a couple just because I was so amused by it but he was stretching out trying to reach his paw up on the counter for more.
Canned green beans are a bit too salty for a cat but cooked fresh or green beans are a fine addition to his diet.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Canned green beans are a bit too salty for a cat but cooked fresh or green beans are a fine addition to his diet.
I'll probably give him a couple more of the low sodium version during Thanksgiving again this year but I don't intend to bring them into his actual diet. They're just a fun little treat when I make green bean casserole for the holiday.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie likes vanilla ice cream- but only the high quality stuff. Usually when I offer her people food she has to really check it out before she will taste it. That is not the case with high quality vanilla ice cream. She happily licks it off the spoon. She will not eat cheap ice cream. It HAS to be the good stuff.

Yes- I am aware that cats are lactose intolerant and ice cream is not the best thing for them. When she does get some, it might be about a teaspoon or so at most. She also does not get this treat every day. At the very most she gets 2 teaspoons a week.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten Salem goes nuts for watermelon! She loves anything fruity. I often have to check if different fruits are safe for cats before letting her have a little taste.