What was your first car?

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first car was a hand me down. First my father owned it, he then gave it to my eldest sister. She got in a wreck in it and never repaired it. She gave it to the next sister. She got in another wreck and never fixed it. She gave it to next sister who also got in a wreck in it and never fixed it. Finally I got the most beat up, cracked up, hood all twisted and held down with a chain to the bumper white Volvo. I never got in a wreck in it. People got lots of laughs when they'd see me get on top of hood and jump up and down to get it closed after putting water or oil in it. I liked that car a whole lot it had so much character. I even drove it down the railroad tracks once. One boyfriend of mine I let shoot the trunk with a pistol when we were out by the river and saw it in the distance. (the wildness of youth!) Once I got a note on it while I was at school that said "I hope nobody was killed in this wreck". It was fast and safe and I kept it for about 10 years. Everywhere we went in it was a blast. I did finally sell it to some cute guy who wanted to restore it. The interior was still perfect. I have not seen it around but I'd bet it is still a great car and someone is very lucky to have it. I have a picture of it still. The caption on it: C'mon you silly savage, let's drag!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My '68 Mustang was a wreck, written off by the insurance company and sold by them. The guy that I had worked for during my school years bought it and did a rebuild on it. I knew the kind of work he did, so there was no hesitation on my part. It had a little over 20,000 miles when I got it, and I paid $1,350 for it. I would have kept it longer, but it required premium leaded gas, which was no longer available, but as it was I drove it for 7 years.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first car was a used 1972 Ford Pinto, with a manual transmission. I absolutely adored that car! It was fun to drive, and had tons of storage space when you put the back seat down.

But I got spooked after there were all those news reports about the gas tank exploding, so my next car was an Oldsmobile that was built like a tank. :wink:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My first car was a used 1972 Ford Pinto, with a manual transmission.
Same car my boyfriend in college had, an orange one with a white stripe. He taught me to drive a stick shift with that car, but the whole exploding-gas-tank thing made me nervous, too!