What Was Your Cat's First Word?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the first human word your cat seemed to respond to in the "correct" way on a regular basis?

Was it their name, and did they appear to come right when you called them? Did you have a certain word that you used repeatedly for a toy or game, and they came running or lifted their head up and stared at you when you said that word, knowing it meant playtime with you?

For my cat, Milly, her first word was, "Dinner!" Her second words were, "Mildred Rose" or "Milly". The next phrase she came to recognize and react to was, "Are you hungry?"

How about you?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sir Eats-A-Lot first responded to "hungry." Chesterfield is pretty dumb and doesn't seem to respond to anything. Meep first responded to "Meep," which was the noise she made as a foundling. So it became her name.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Reese's is 'pretty.' She went through a good month without an official name...but I called her pretty so often that she started responding to it. I'd poke my head into a room and say 'pretty?' and suddenly a screaming, booger eyed kitten would have appeared out of thin air, running as fast as she could.

She still answers to it. My mom was telling her that she was a good girl the other day for getting off the table and I said 'she won't answer to that, try this instead: You are SO pretty!' and lo and behold she turned and started purring.

GracieMae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gracies first word she really responded to was her name. Because it meant play, treat, food. Now its sit. Now if I say sit she automatically sits knowing she will get a treat. It's cute to see my two dogs and her lined up when they hear sit to get a treat. It Also helps with trimming claws and brushing. Sit means good things for her.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith sometimes will run around the house calling out and it sounds exactly like mama? and hello? She sounds like a toddler aged girl when she does that.

When DD first left for college, she would run into her room call out hello? hello?

She will often do that if she wakes up and doesn't know where I am. She will go looking for me.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think Mouse responds appropriately to anything on a regular basis.  :confused: :lol: At least not unless he wants to. 'Toothtime' is probably one of the most reliable things he chooses to hear and usually comes trotting up to lick his toothpaste off my finger.
Other than that he does know what 'ouch' means, and 'no' but it's only ouch that gets him to stop what he's doing. He doesn't get that much now though unless he's being pesky and sneaks up behind me successfully and jumps up my back on to my shoulder... :eek2: :nono:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
When we first took Felix in as a rescue, he was very scared at first. So, we took things one day at a time.

We always greeted him in the mornings. That is the first thing I can remember him responding to.

"Good morning, Felix!" Eventually, he started saying, "Morning!" right back.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all respond very well to their supervised time outside every morning, "Outside?!" They all come running. They all respond to NO! and stop what they are doing. One will run under the bed, one will look at me like "what?!", and one will talk back with a meow and say "It was them, not your favorite one!"

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They all know their names, which is pretty impressive considering how many of them there are. Impressive that I can remember them all too.

They know Pssst, pssst, pssst means come here and if I snap my fingers it means no.

Other than that I just babble at them and they nod and smile and pretend they're listening.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Lola and Pallina would respond to the Italian word for "food". They would come if in another room, wake up if they were sleeping.
But I think, of course, they learned their names as a first thing.
They would also respond to the collective name "Kitties!" (in Italian).
Both knew it very well the word "Outside?", when it was time to stay in the courtyard.

Pallina would respond promptly to the word "Stairs?", when it was time to have a walk on the condo staircase.

My second question would be:
Has one of your cats ever pronounced a sound that had sounded like or was a real word in your language?
Lola, during a trip to the vet, while she was in her carrier, looked at me through the mesh of the carrier, and said the Italian equivalent of
"Mom, I'm scared!" clear and neat!