What Type of Water Do You Give Your Cat?

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I raised my kitten from 2 weeks of age, I prepare his milk with boiled spring water from a store. But now he is almost 5 months so he drinks tap water and he is pretty healthy!

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give my furgirl filtered tap water from the kitchen sink filter which is a GE one that I replaced before I would drink it myself. I live in an apt and the manager replied to my question about when to replace the sink filter that he doesn't replace his...

Darn, I just remembered the cheap water fountain I bought for my furgirl has a charcoal filter in it that I will have to throw away since I immediately emptied the fountain because she seemed to not like it and it was making my apartment humid and sputtering after water condensed into the air. It's a very cheap one from chewy.com. I'll try using it again though since I have replacement filters. At first, I had one stainless steel bowl of filtered water out, then added a cheap little water dispenser, then added a second water bowl out before I saw her drinking the water from her cheap water dispenser. Yay! So I took one of the stainless steel bowls away. =)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What kind of water fountain?
I don't have a specific brand to recommend since my kitty never took to a water fountain--just sort of stared at it like it was from Mars. Drinkwell is a big brand, though. They're pretty much available at any pet store, so just go down to the nearest Petsmart or Petco. Make sure the item is returnable even if you open it and use it. Your kitty sounds like it would like a fountain, though. I've heard some kitties like the ones which make a lot of noise, others don't. Maybe just get the one that comes closest to replicating what it's like when you water plants.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What kind of water fountain?
I use filtered water and the cats have the Pioneer Pet ceramic raindrop fountain in black. It has a charcoal filter in it. I also have the Pioneer Pet stainless Big Max for the dog. I like this brand because it is easy to clean. I had the Drinkwell Platinum but returned it because it was not as easy to clean and I wanted one that wasn't plastic.

kika the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I don't have a specific brand to recommend since my kitty never took to a water fountain--just sort of stared at it like it was from Mars. Drinkwell is a big brand, though. They're pretty much available at any pet store, so just go down to the nearest Petsmart or Petco. Make sure the item is returnable even if you open it and use it. Your kitty sounds like it would like a fountain, though. I've heard some kitties like the ones which make a lot of noise, others don't. Maybe just get the one that comes closest to replicating what it's like when you water plants.

I use filtered water and the cats have the Pioneer Pet ceramic raindrop fountain in black. It has a charcoal filter in it. I also have the Pioneer Pet stainless Big Max for the dog. I like this brand because it is easy to clean. I had the Drinkwell Platinum but returned it because it was not as easy to clean and I wanted one that wasn't plastic.
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if you were recommending a pet fountain or an outdoor patio fountain. 

Thanks, I'll check into it.

Last edited:

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tap water. He drinks it out of his bowl, but he also likes jumping in the shower with me and licking the water off his fur after (I've had to become very careful about not keeping the soap and shampoo away from him)

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty gets Santevia filtered water. He's been drinking a lot more since I got the filter. It's alkalizing and mineralizing. I can't afford a fountain but he drinks nearly half his water bowl each day at least (compared to barely any before) so he seems to be doing well without one.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty gets Santevia filtered water. He's been drinking a lot more since I got the filter. It's alkalizing and mineralizing. I can't afford a fountain but he drinks nearly half his water bowl each day at least (compared to barely any before) so he seems to be doing well without one.
While there are many proponents of alkainized water, there are also many who say alkalinized water is bad for you. I have no idea which side is correct, but make sure you know the potential side effects since your kitty likely won't show any clinical signs until there's a big problem:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/370249-what-are-the-dangers-in-drinking-alkaline-water/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/11/alkaline-water-interview.aspx

gmm80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Old thread, but I was curious about this. We have 5 male cats and one female in the household, along with a few foster cats. I've never had an issue with urinary crystals or UTIs with my own cats, but recently I've had several friends that have had urinary issues with their cats, one had to spend the night at the ER, which put her out about $1000. I had a Drinkwell fountain when they first they came out and always hated cleaning it and buying the filters for it. I know vets recommend filtered water for cats with UTI issues, and I certainly can't afford a $1000 vet bill, times 6! After seeing something similar at another foster's home, I set up two homemade water fountains made with a fish tank filter and large bowl. The filters cost about $11 each at Walmart and I just used bowls I already had. The cats love it and it's easy to clean. I wash the bowl and rinse the filter once a week, and replace the charcoal filter once a month.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be interesting to know if the cats who developed urinary issues and were drinking tap water were also getting enough water? Sure, tap water can be polluted, but if your cat is eating mainly dry food then the more common reason for urinary/kidney problems is they are not getting enough water.

My cat eats all wet food and never drinks from his water bowl. Sometimes I add a bit of warm tap water to his wet food .. we live in the Pacific Northwest and have pretty clean water.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water from the sink. The city water is good. The only issue is that he likes to play with it and splash it around :rolleyes:

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tap water. But they prefer the water in my fish tank. That has a water treater to make tap safe for fish. So I assume it would be better actually. My girls are weird in that they dip their paws in and lock their paws. Abigail will drink from the toilet if my dad forget to put the top down and she'll drink from the sink.when I buy myself voss they get some.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Max prefers running water from MY SINK. If I get up to do anything he tries to herd me toward the batbroom!
Fishwater sounds like it would be a big seller, kind of like Perrier or Avian, LOL!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give them bottled water as well. I thought of getting a Brita thing, but read there's bacteria in the filter!

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've actually seen "BELLA" grab the waterdish with her paw and pull IT toward her, splashing water everywhere! I'm kinda her Auntie and her momma is Max's favorite AUNTIE. He is not shy and plops down on AUNTIES lap anytime... she is the one that SPOILED the little monkey, not me!