What type of fur does he have?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not call him lh yet but he is pretty fluffy and he has good ear tufts... Hope he feels better soon ❤
Thanks! Yeah he’s doing fine now, when I got him back first day he was still pretty drugged up so just dragged himself around on his front paws and just stuck his head in his food bowl for like 20 minutes...kinda sad and hilarious at the same time 🤣 Yeah can’t make the call yet, definitely not lh in my opinion but just so fluffy. My coworker brought her 6 month kitten into work to play with him and it just looked drastically different even though she said hers had an undercoat

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, not sure if these are the “toe tufts” but they’re starting to come in
6F1CA4B2-442B-4B48-800B-2A01F549D7A5.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like tiny ones coming in… Sybil, forest cat mix, was 6 months when I adopted her had long paw tufts, I will try to find a pic.

See pics, you can see her long tufts sticking out a bit in these… she was polydactyl on her front paws too.

F5D1806D-1873-4847-8866-18E463916E58.png
6D90EC3A-2E4D-4D00-BCE1-E522C26CD927.png
84F62007-E8F4-4DDA-8891-57BDB39CD931.png

Last edited:

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like tiny ones coming in… Sybil, forest cat mix, was 6 months when I adopted her had long paw tufts, I will try to find a pic.

See pics, you can see her long tufts sticking out a bit in these… she was polydactyl on her front paws too.

View attachment 397979View attachment 397980View attachment 397981
I feel like you’re my go to for all things cat haha. Yeah his aren’t as long as Sybil, so not sure and they don’t stick out just down a little bit. I hate not knowing and he hasn’t started getting his adult fur yet 😵

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this started happening out of nowhere, getting some length. I was literally gone for like 2-3 days and when I saw him I was in semi shock. My Ozzy is growing up 😖
182078C1-EAB3-4B04-9708-DA63EBCFBFF9.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this started happening out of nowhere, getting some length. I was literally gone for like 2-3 days and when I saw him I was in semi shock. My Ozzy is growing up 😖View attachment 399449
I replied to this and it is missing now which odd, anyway, that was fast! … and it is odd that his back has no stripes.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, he is a domestic shorthair for sure. He doesnt have the toebean fur length, he just might a bit fluffier than others. It is getting colder some my cats are getting their winter coats in. Maybe your boy is to :) hes a stunning boy

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this started happening out of nowhere, getting some length. I was literally gone for like 2-3 days and when I saw him I was in semi shock. My Ozzy is growing up 😖View attachment 399449
His back never really had much pattern to it, his sides are swirly, his legs are striped, and his belly is spotted. Like nature couldn’t decide lol. Yeah I’m not sure, definitely dense but I don’t think he’s really started shedding much yet, so who knows what it’ll be 🤷🏻‍♂️ He just hit 6 months so I guess from now till a year is when his adult coat comes in? He’s still so soft so I hope that stays haha

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, he is a domestic shorthair for sure. He doesnt have the toebean fur length, he just might a bit fluffier than others. It is getting colder some my cats are getting their winter coats in. Maybe your boy is to :) hes a stunning boy
See that’s what I thought (and still kinda do) but I bring him into the office now and then and everyone with a shorthair is always telling me no he’s medium...I think he might just be a little longer and denser than the norm

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, he’s lucky he’s so cute...hides behind the stairs waiting to pounce when I walk down 🤣
Looking at that pic of his back and the top of his tail I would not call him a sh but a lh or medium hair, but again time will tell. Not all longhair kitties have the big floofiness, some are more subdued or it is longer on certain body areas, and it can take two years to see the full floof as they grow. The only way to know for sure is to test for the lh gene if that can be done. My Syb would shed a lot in spring and get her full floof in the winter months. I also used to give her a lion cut in spring starting at age 5 or so because she had terrible mats and she hated being brushed. See pic 😻
6D00112E-3296-495F-BF2E-BB5401B16810.jpeg

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looking at that pic of his back and the top of his tail I would not call him a sh but a lh or medium hair, but again time will tell. Not all longhair kitties have the big floofiness, some are more subdued or it is longer on certain body areas, and it can take two years to see the full floof as they grow. The only way to know for sure is to test for the lh gene if that can be done. My Syb would shed a lot in spring and get her full floof in the winter months. I also used to give her a lion cut in spring starting at age 5 or so because she had terrible mats and she hated being brushed. See pic 😻View attachment 400201
Oh my god, that’s adorable haha! I didn’t even know that was a thing! New cat dad problems I suppose. That’s the thing, so many parts throwing me off...I don’t know if I necessarily want him LONG but medium could be cool. He’s definitely got more than the standard sh so he’s a little different than the norm which I like. He’s really getting bigger and he’s only 6 months. Do they grow much more past this point? Or is it more of a muscle/fat development at this point?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my god, that’s adorable haha! I didn’t even know that was a thing! New cat dad problems I suppose. That’s the thing, so many parts throwing me off...I don’t know if I necessarily want him LONG but medium could be cool. He’s definitely got more than the standard sh so he’s a little different than the norm which I like. He’s really getting bigger and he’s only 6 months. Do they grow much more past this point? Or is it more of a muscle/fat development at this point?
At first she would be a bit upset after her cut but after a while she loved it. But I always felt bad cutting her glorious coat... sh is easier overall to care for, but lh is so beautiful. Most kitties will grow to full size at about 1 -2 years, but some breeds which are larger such as the forest cats can take longer to reach full size even growing up to 4 years but it won't be the huge growth spurts you see in early kitten hood during the first 6 months and the first year. This could be true for domestic cats who are larger as well... see links. Male cats will be more bulky generally if neutered later but one of these links says they will grow larger if neutered earlier, I am not sure if that is accurate. It also depends on their nutrition and how much they eat etc. for males and females from the time they are born. In addition, each cat has a hereditary body type and size capability as well I think. Some of the Maine Coon cats are bred to be giants and can way around 30lbs, but I think this causes stress on their hearts. The largest cat I have ever seen in person was a dsh ginger tabby and white boy. He had been declawed on all four paws and was the most gentle cat. When sitting he was about 2 feet tall prolly.

At What Age Will My Cat Stop Growing? | Comfort Zone
When Do Cats Stop Growing? Reliable Ways to Know When Cats Reach Their Full Size | Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
At What Age Are Cats Fully Grown? | PetMD
FelineLiving.net
When Do Cats Stop Growing? Reliable Ways to Know When Cats Reach Their Full Size | Healthy Paws Pet Insurance

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At first she would be a bit upset after her cut but after a while she loved it. But I always felt bad cutting her glorious coat... sh is easier overall to care for, but lh is so beautiful. Most kitties will grow to full size at about 1 -2 years, but some breeds which are larger such as the forest cats can take longer to reach full size even growing up to 4 years but it won't be the huge growth spurts you see in early kitten hood during the first 6 months and the first year. This could be true for domestic cats who are larger as well... see links. Male cats will be more bulky generally if neutered later but one of these links says they will grow larger if neutered earlier, I am not sure if that is accurate. It also depends on their nutrition and how much they eat etc. for males and females from the time they are born. In addition, each cat has a hereditary body type and size capability as well I think. Some of the Maine Coon cats are bred to be giants and can way around 30lbs, but I think this causes stress on their hearts. The largest cat I have ever seen in person was a dsh ginger tabby and white boy. He had been declawed on all four paws and was the most gentle cat. When sitting he was about 2 feet tall prolly.

At What Age Will My Cat Stop Growing? | Comfort Zone
At What Age Are Cats Fully Grown? | PetMD
FelineLiving.net
Good info, thank you! This just all throws me off cuz he’s 7 months now and even though it’s slow growth at this point, I’m not noticing any growth for the last two months. Also was there supposed to be a lot of kitten fur shedding? I haven’t noticed like anything, I’m just hoping he’s getting all the nutrients he needs

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good info, thank you! This just all throws me off cuz he’s 7 months now and even though it’s slow growth at this point, I’m not noticing any growth for the last two months. Also was there supposed to be a lot of kitten fur shedding? I haven’t noticed like anything, I’m just hoping he’s getting all the nutrients he needs
I am not sure about the kitten fur shedding. I will have to look that up. Sybil was about 6 months old when I adopted her from a rescue I volunteered for. She was part nfc and they tend to shed a lot in spring. Most kitties get thicker fur in winter whether dsh or dlh. I have a photo I found before I started giving her lion cuts maybe in an enclosure I built- maybe at 1 year where she does not look as floofy. I am not sure about that though. Just keep an eye on your guy. Either way it will be fine no matter what fur he has.

You can supplement his diet with kitty vitamin supplements and ask your dvm about if his weight is normal etc. He looks healthy to me. I feed my guys mostly a grain free home cooked diet. They have food sensitivities.

Last edited:

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about the kitten fur shedding. I will have to look that up. Sybil was about 6 months old when I adopted her from a rescue I volunteered for. She was part nfc and they tend to shed a lot in spring. Most kitties get thicker fur in winter whether dsh or dlh. I have a photo I found before I started giving her lion cuts maybe in an enclosure I built- maybe at 1 year where she does not look as floofy. I am not sure about that though. Just keep an eye on your guy. Either way it will be fine no matter what fur he has.

You can supplement his diet with kitty vitamin supplements and ask your dvm about if his weight is normal etc. He looks healthy to me. I feed my guys mostly a grain free home cooked diet. They have food sensitivities.
I think it just started, noticed some on my coat today so all is good 👍🏻 I had to go away for 5 days for training at the new job, and my old coworker who gave him to me babysat. Was good for him I think cuz his mom and two sisters live with her, he’s twice the size of his sister and bigger than his mom already at 7 months 🤣 I guess he did great until the day I was coming back he started looking for me meowing and when I got there he was on a perch. I got in closer to him and he grabbed my face and licked my nose ❤ He is now like Velcro and won’t let me out of his sight and needs to sit with at least his arm touching me 😭

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it just started, noticed some on my coat today so all is good 👍🏻 I had to go away for 5 days for training at the new job, and my old coworker who gave him to me babysat. Was good for him I think cuz his mom and two sisters live with her, he’s twice the size of his sister and bigger than his mom already at 7 months 🤣 I guess he did great until the day I was coming back he started looking for me meowing and when I got there he was on a perch. I got in closer to him and he grabbed my face and licked my nose ❤ He is now like Velcro and won’t let me out of his sight and needs to sit with at least his arm touching me 😭
aww what a sweetie he is, you are lucky 😻

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here we are at 1 yr, think this is fur limit, kind of a shaggy shorthair, but pretty big. Do cats continue growing past this point?
E625BCAF-98AD-458D-9BAA-32B8FC424D22.jpeg