What type of fur does he have?

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has been throwing me off. While his tail is fairly thin and he doesn’t have the toe tufts, his ear furnishings are longer and his fur is so much thicker than his litter mates. I know there’s kitten fluff, but it’s not at the same level as the others. People that see him think medium fur, but I’m still wondering 5DAF554E-5D16-4ED3-B8C8-2DDA56A80248.jpeg 20A81188-ABBD-4A1A-8F07-04095DB5C828.jpeg 52AE20BA-97E1-43DF-8E5A-3E62F863DD9D.jpeg

Attachments

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say your cat is not a medium fur but what’s sure is that your cat’s fur is dense,sometimes when they stop being kittens the fur may becomes short and thin but you’ll only know it in a couple of months :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah that’s what I was thinking DENSE. Maybe some British shorthair in there? Although he does have a lot of chest hair if you catch him in the right pose so still could see it both ways
370F1836-8167-41B2-8631-77AD4D6776E6.jpeg
370F1836-8167-41B2-8631-77AD4D6776E6.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been throwing me off. While his tail is fairly thin and he doesn’t have the toe tufts, his ear furnishings are longer and his fur is so much thicker than his litter mates. I know there’s kitten fluff, but it’s not at the same level as the others. People that see him think medium fur, but I’m still wonderingView attachment 392056View attachment 392058View attachment 392059
He is gorgeous😻 He does look a little fluffier, time will tell if he will be short hair or “medium”. Could be dense as you said but I see some longer hairs too.

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous😻 He does look a little fluffier, time will tell if he will be short hair or “medium”. Could be dense as you said but I see some longer hairs too.
Thank you! Yeah he’s a love bug 50% of the time, the other 50% is spent trying to kill me hand haha. Yeah I guess time is really the only thing. He’s a hard one to figure out

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have tufts of fur between toe pads like this? If not I'd say just going to be a thicker DSH. :) Some just have thicker fur than others.
20190121_115600.jpg

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he have tufts of fur between toe pads like this? If not I'd say just going to be a thicker DSH. :) Some just have thicker fur than others.
View attachment 392773
So he’s got some longer fur at the bottom that goes past his pads, but they don’t stick out in the front. I think thick shorthair, I just haven’t seen one like that in person before, but definitely not as fluffy as that kitty in the face

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s about 4.5 months old, thinking shorthair but his tail has some long hairs on it. Safe bet to say just fluffier shorthair? I know he’s probably still got his kitten coat since he’s soft
7E61431E-22A7-4F4A-9B64-9DB20B49D486.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is a medium hair prolly. My Merlin is a dsh but he is fluffier for sure. His middle name is no finn because when he is excited etc his fur in his back creates a thin shark fin, lol.

AB932FC7-669B-4723-BEF1-E36653613C55.png

9DC3C943-6FD1-4860-8D0F-D72D118541BF.png

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he is a medium hair prolly. My Merlin is a dsh but he is fluffier for sure. His middle name is no finn because when he is excited etc his fur in his back creates a thin shark fin, lol.

View attachment 394751

View attachment 394752
Haha, he’s adorable and love the pose/name ❤ He’s got some pretty dense fur too, I’d be happy if my boy ends up like that, but medium would also be cool. Never thought I’d be so curious about...fur length, but it’s just hard to tell since he’s a kitten still and looks in between dsh and dmh. Just don’t know what to expect of the adult fur

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, he’s adorable and love the pose/name ❤ He’s got some pretty dense fur too, I’d be happy if my boy ends up like that, but medium would also be cool. Never thought I’d be so curious about...fur length, but it’s just hard to tell since he’s a kitten still and looks in between dsh and dmh. Just don’t know what to expect of the adult fur
It will be fun to see, he looks more long hair than Merlin… Merlin had shorter hair when I first saw him outside my window, his face was so gorgeous, and his pattern so perfect, I said one day you will be my cat and called him Merlin to be like a brother to my Wizard who left me. Sadly his brother Marlon who was hiding but showed up to eat one night visibly and gave me a surprise, vanished. I felt sad that one day M would be ear tipped, I don’t like it and none of my other outdoor rescues were, I took them to my then dvm for sn with no ear tip. Sybil, also a shelter rescue was a forest cat mix nfc with gorgeous longhair, very long guard hairs and it shed more in spring/ summer. She was my snow goddess and loved running around in the snow. No weather fazed her. I never saw her as a baby kitten, she must have been a super floofy kitten though I am sure. I feel sad I missed her kittenhood.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He most likely inherited an undercoat which some breeds have. He most likely will be a short hair with a dense undercoat. His ears are long, along with his tail, maybe a little Oriental somewhere in the background. Kittens can have different fathers in the same litter so that may explain why the others are different.

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It will be fun to see, he looks more long hair than Merlin… Merlin had shorter hair when I first saw him outside my window, his face was so gorgeous, and his pattern so perfect, I said one day you will be my cat and called him Merlin to be like a brother to my Wizard who left me. Sadly his brother Marlon who was hiding but showed up to eat one night visibly and gave me a surprise, vanished. I felt sad that one day M would be ear tipped, I don’t like it and none of my other outdoor rescues were, I took them to my then dvm for sn with no ear tip. Sybil, also a shelter rescue was a forest cat mix nfc with gorgeous longhair, very long guard hairs and it shed more in spring/ summer. She was my snow goddess and loved running around in the snow. No weather fazed her. I never saw her as a baby kitten, she must have been a super floofy kitten though I am sure. I feel sad I missed her kittenhood.
Yeah I’m not the biggest fan of the process of ear tipping either, but it does give him some character! Kitten hood is so fast, I feel like I got him a few weeks back and it’s already been almost 3 months. We shall see what he’ll be, I’ll update once I can see what’s going on

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh
He most likely inherited an undercoat which some breeds have. He most likely will be a short hair with a dense undercoat. His ears are long, along with his tail, maybe a little Oriental somewhere in the background. Kittens can have different fathers in the same litter so that may explain why the others are different.
Oh yeah his tail is huge, like almost twice the length of most adult cats I’ve seen. But yeah we’ll see what’s in store. Opinions are still split down the middle from everyone on whether he’s a dense shorthair or a medium hair in the making

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I’m not the biggest fan of the process of ear tipping either, but it does give him some character! Kitten hood is so fast, I feel like I got him a few weeks back and it’s already been almost 3 months. We shall see what he’ll be, I’ll update once I can see what’s going on
Enjoy, it goes so fast. I can hardly believe Quinn turned 5 years this July🙀😿

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor guy just had his man bits cut off yesterday, he’s definitely uncomfortable but doesn’t seem in constant pain. I don’t know how but he keeps getting the e collar off and I tried both plastic and inflatable, so he’s just gonna have to manage without it. I’ve seen him lick a couple times here and there, but not excessively so hopefully in a day he’ll be good

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He did all fine without his cone and swelling is almost all gone. Still got that soft kitten fur though...the mystery is killing me. Saw him get scared the other day and his tail hairs stuck out like 3 inches so I guess they’re longer than I thought 🤔
7718C385-5310-48FE-A09E-408088E6932A.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He did all fine without his cone and swelling is almost all gone. Still got that soft kitten fur though...the mystery is killing me. Saw him get scared the other day and his tail hairs stuck out like 3 inches so I guess they’re longer than I thought 🤔View attachment 397636
I would not call him lh yet but he is pretty fluffy and he has good ear tufts... Hope he feels better soon ❤