What type of fur does he have?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends — all larger cats will take longer to mature, and may have some growth after a year, but typically most growth is done by a year to year and a half, outside of giant breeds and the occasional large domestic.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we are at 1 yr, think this is fur limit, kind of a shaggy shorthair, but pretty big. Do cats continue growing past this point?View attachment 420228
Wow he is gorgeous😻 Yes I agree a shaggy sh, like my Merlin. I was wondering about him recently, thanks for the update 😀

Merlin grew a lot in the first 2-4 years, he def ended up bigger than when he and Marlon showed up at 6 months to 1 year. Unfortunately he became obese outside and has gained even more now so he is on a diet. He is about 18 lbs now. Merlin’s head is huge and so beautiful.

2C406608-1EC7-48E0-B3D4-37BCBE491C9F.jpeg

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful! You are right, he is a ' shaggy shorthair'. Cats can grow some after a year if they have a bigger breed in them, like Maine Coon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow he is gorgeous😻 Yes I agree a shaggy sh, like my Merlin. I was wondering about him recently, thanks for the update 😀

Merlin grew a lot in the first 2-4 years, he def ended up bigger than when he and Marlon showed up at 6 months to 1 year. Unfortunately he became obese outside and has gained even more now so he is on a diet. He is about 18 lbs now. Merlin’s head is huge and so beautiful.

View attachment 420237
Merlin is so cute! Yeah Ozzy also has that big head game, especially when I puff out his cheek fur haha. I’m trying to figure out what’s in him (if anything). Every time I use the cat scanner on him it tells me bengal, Maine coon, British sh, or European sh. So who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️ If there’s Maine coon I’d think there’s some more growing
A2D694E2-EF7D-49A1-9633-171371C5A0B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The vast majority of cats don’t have any significant breed ancestry. I’ve gotten some bizarre results from scanner apps with my pedigree Maine Coons, so wouldn’t rely on that too much haha. Seems to think my cats are either NFC or seychellois mixes. One result thought my pet class girl was mostly Bengal 🤣

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Osgar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vast majority of cats don’t have any significant breed ancestry. I’ve gotten some bizarre results from scanner apps with my pedigree Maine Coons, so wouldn’t rely on that too much haha. Seems to think my cats are either NFC or seychellois mixes. One result thought my pet class girl was mostly Bengal 🤣
Yeah that’s what I thought, read somewhere that like 98% of household cats are breed less (domestic sh or lh) Ozzy’s full name was gonna be Osgar until I realized that he didn’t really have any specific breed so sticking with Ozzy or Oz cuz it can be a nickname for any name starting with Os 🤣 So weird that it gave you different breeds as the primary, but at least it picked up on the Maine coon

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merlin is so cute! Yeah Ozzy also has that big head game, especially when I puff out his cheek fur haha. I’m trying to figure out what’s in him (if anything). Every time I use the cat scanner on him it tells me bengal, Maine coon, British sh, or European sh. So who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️ If there’s Maine coon I’d think there’s some more growingView attachment 420364
I was not aware there was a scanner for breeds, sounds strange, I thought it had to be done with dna samples.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I was not aware there was a scanner for breeds, sounds strange, I thought it had to be done with dna samples.
Neither DNA nor scanner apps are accurate. It’s just a bit of fun, just wish the DNA tests didn’t hide that they weren’t actually breed tests in the small print.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither DNA nor scanner apps are accurate. It’s just a bit of fun, just wish the DNA tests didn’t hide that they weren’t actually breed tests in the small print.
I will look up the scanners. Seems like that would be even less accurate. Maybe one day there will be an accurate test. I have never done any of them because they cost too much 😹 maybe for health reasons it can be helpful though.