What type of cats are these?

tunechi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm wondering what type of cats these are, they look very cool to me and I really want my first kitten to look like this! Any help will be awesome! Thanks ----> [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you look up "Little African Wildcat," you will see that it looks essentially like our modern domestic tabbies.  And, big surprise, that's what our cats are, genetically, according to research by the National Geographic, who took domestic cat DNA samples all over the world.

Now, Oskar was a barn cat and was rescued by his owner when he was just a blind little kitten.  Klaus was adopted from a shelter, I believe, and had his ear damaged before he was adopted.

Come to our shelter, and I can show you 15 like them.  Well, not blind, probably.  But various shades of tabby.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cute video and rather nicely marked non-pedigree (moggie) tabbys, with white.  All shelters have plenty of tabby cats, go along and take a look.

Dare I say that Klaus is a little bit plump? 

Last edited:

hailey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually have a little kitten that looks very similar to them. They are very common. I knew someone who everyone of her litters where that color. 

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So do people breed these types or..?
Tabby is a coloration, not a breed, the video is so cute! I have  a kitty with  those same markings (but no white), he's a sweetie pie!

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would really love to have a tabby with really distinct stripes and/or spots and/or swirls. So beautiful!

gethenian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regular old brown tabbies! We have two cats who look like the blind cat in this video right now. One of the two is an unspayed female who adopted us as a feral cat and has since been tamed... and given birth. Her first litter had twins whose markings were just like the other cat in that video, tabby with white. Her current litter is 12 days old and too early to tell but we THINK there are one or two more in this litter with markings like the second cat.

If you want a cat who looks like them, you're likely to find one or more of them in pretty much any shelter you look in. If you live in the Washington DC area I can point you to exactly where you can adopt either of the two very friendly litter-trained boys from the first litter who look like the second cat in that video. ;)

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not trying to rob this thread and I don't want this to sound like a stupid question but not knowing a lot about specific breeds. Stormy mentioned that Tabby isn't a breed, it's a coloration. If you don't get your cat from a breeder how do you know what breed your "tabby colored" cat is? Keep in mind that the cat may be a rescue or accidental (mother escaped while in heat) not byb because I don't agree with byb's.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not trying to rob this thread and I don't want this to sound like a stupid question but not knowing a lot about specific breeds. Stormy mentioned that Tabby isn't a breed, it's a coloration. If you don't get your cat from a breeder how do you know what breed your "tabby colored" cat is? Keep in mind that the cat may be a rescue or accidental (mother escaped while in heat) not byb because I don't agree with byb's.
The best way to say it is this: Less than 1% of cats are pedigreed cats. The rest are considered Moggies. A cat can look very much like a particular breed, but if there is no pedigree showing it was purchased from a breeder, it's a Domestic Shorthair/Longhair.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a stupid question at all.  Unless the kitten comes from a registered breeder it's no particular breed.  In the UK breeders register the kittens the produce (at least GCCF breeders so) and that's the guarantee the pedigree is genuine.  I'm sure there are BYBs out there falsifying pedigrees.  As BigPerm says, 99% of cats are no particular breed at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tunechi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not a stupid question at all.  Unless the kitten comes from a registered breeder it's no particular breed.  In the UK breeders register the kittens the produce (at least GCCF breeders so) and that's the guarantee the pedigree is genuine.  I'm sure there are BYBs out there falsifying pedigrees.  As BigPerm says, 99% of cats are no particular breed at all.
So With That said, the only way I can find a brown tabby Is to wait for a brown tabby kitten to show up In a shelter? I can't go to anyone since they aren't a "breed"?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So With That said, the only way I can find a brown tabby Is to wait for a brown tabby kitten to show up In a shelter? I can't go to anyone since they aren't a "breed"?
They are very common, one of the most common coloration in cat population. Of course there are lots of breeds that also have brown tabbies, so if you want a pedigreed brown tabby cat there are lots of breeds to choose from.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are super easy to find at adoption events and shelters.....very common.  You could browse petfinder in your area for one.  And brown tabby may be my favorite "look" for a cat.  I'd love to have one someday.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly if you're just going for a brown tabby coloration you would do well to consider a shelter or rescue cat. That way you save an animal's life and not spend hundreds of dollars at a breeder for something you could probably find in your own backyard if you had a feral colony. If you wanted something more exotic than a brown tabby then MAYBE go for a breeder. But choose your breeders wisely. Make sure they are registered and that they do show their cats.If they do not show their cats, there is nobody keeping them to standard.

ashyfulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's how cats originally were colored and they're very easy to find. Our brown tabby, Ruby, was a stray 4 month old kitten who jumped into my car on Valentines Day a couple years ago. A customer that goes to the store i work at just found a tabby kitten the other night. Our one 2 week old kitten's a brown tabby.

Since they have no real breed, I'd suggest looking on petfinder or go to your local shelters in person to adopt one. Too many cats get put into shelters and now that we have 7 kittens to find hoems for, I see kittens in shelters everywhere right now! Making finding them homes a little harder since nobody even wants them from the shelters right now. If you lived closer to me I'd offer to give you Ivy once she was old enough and ready for a home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tunechi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's how cats originally were colored and they're very easy to find. Our brown tabby, Ruby, was a stray 4 month old kitten who jumped into my car on Valentines Day a couple years ago. A customer that goes to the store i work at just found a tabby kitten the other night. Our one 2 week old kitten's a brown tabby.

Since they have no real breed, I'd suggest looking on petfinder or go to your local shelters in person to adopt one. Too many cats get put into shelters and now that we have 7 kittens to find hoems for, I see kittens in shelters everywhere right now! Making finding them homes a little harder since nobody even wants them from the shelters right now. If you lived closer to me I'd offer to give you Ivy once she was old enough and ready for a home
I for sure want to get one from a shelter or foster home place but I just really want one with the distinctive spots/ strips like the ones in the video! But I didnt know where and what type to get a kitten with those awesome markings!

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just go to the shelter and look. They're probably up to their ears in kittens right now, and there should be tons to choose from. You can have your pick of markings.