What Tricks Do Your Fur Babies Do?

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is my 6 month old Leif, she taught herself to jump in my arms either from a couch or counter or from the floor, I will try to get a video when I can.

Attachments

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's Brilliant ! I tried to teach gracie how to catch - she catches however runs off with the ball (I wanted her to return it to me). I tried teaching her how to sit - that didn't work and she used to run off ! Tried teaching her how to say hello by showing her you tube videos however that didn't work either and she looked at me like I was an idiot ! One thing she is though is a shoulder cat! She used to sit on the sofa and stare at me profusely whist I was in the kitten ! I thought it was love however discovered she must have been building herself up for the good 5ft or so leap from there to my shoulder which she now does from that sofa all the time ! Of course I didn't teach her this ! I've learned cats do what they want and what tricks they want to do and not what you teach them !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's cool she learned jumping up too, I never tried to teach Leif anything else.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've yet to capture it on camera, but Zoey catches her Temptations in the air. Or I can bounce them off the walls of the bathtub...she either grabs it in the air or catches it in her paw, putting it in her mouth...taught herself....
Here she is, ready to go..

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie does "sit", "five", stands in his hind legs, spin (clockwise and counter clockwise), jump from chair to chair, and what I call "half fetch", meaning that I toss a toy, and he chases it, but doesn't bring it back. :running:

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
:bigeyes:We have had 4-year old Indy for 5 months now; he lived his whole life at a cat rescue farm, so didn't have a lot of interaction with people. So far, I have taught him to sit for his treats (actually more "beg", since his front paws are off the ground) -- but he will only do this if a treat is in sight/smell. I also taught him to jump up on a stool in the kitchen to wait for me to get his wet food ready -- sometimes he gets impatient and jumps down again, but he will get right back up when I ask him, "Where do good boys wait?" and point to the stool. Finally, we have a "treasure hunt" where I hide treats all over the bookcases and desks in the den. When we're in the den and it's time for the treasure hunt, I point out to the hallway and tell him to go wait in the hallway, and he does. He sits patiently in the hallway while I close the door and hide the treats. Then I open the door and he will search for the treats (I use Greenies Smart Bites for Healthy Skin and Fur). I count the number of treats so I know if he's gotten them all. If he can't find the last few, I can point toward the treat and he will follow the direction of my finger, and find the treat! :bigeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those are some smart cats you all have.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Those are some smart cats you all have.
Leif is also very smart! Training herself to jump into your arms is very impressive! It's a good thing these cats don't have thumbs, they'd be opening cans all by themselves! In all seriousness though, it is quite fun and rewarding to teach cats tricks. If you're interested in teaching Leif more tricks, there are a lot of great online tutorials.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli has learned several commands: sit, shake ("paw"), sit up, jump up, jump down, touch (with his nose). He also knows come, but isn't too consistent about that one! He loves clicker training and comes running when I say "Clicker?". Of course, whenever he wants a treat he'll sit and offer his paw, which drives my husband nuts at mealtime.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie made up a game all by herself. She would push a bottle cap under the bathroom door, try to grab it,if not go to the other side and do it again. She was at it for 45 minutes!

Also, until she was 2.
, she would start at the kitchen, run to the porch window, splat her paws against it, shake her head back and forth, chase her tail, run up the 72inch tower and back down, go room to room and give a loud meow, then do it all over again!

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Freya does a few tricks. Standard type tricks are as follows: She will sit on command ( but with little zeal, even if treated), and when I place a finger by her nose and say "nosebump" she'll lick it (she really likes that one that one). She'll also come when i whistle for her or when she's fairly close but I don't know exactly where she'll usually pop out of her hiding spot when I say, "Where's my kitty?"

Slightly less traditional for cats but still fairly commonly, she plays fetch. She also plays soccer or "ball" sometimes, where you'll roll a ball to her and she'll kick it back to you (I don't yet have a video of her playing ball, but I'll get one darnit! ).

The lief jumping in arms trick is very cool, btw!

Best and sweetest of all is that she greets people by chirping "hello" in English.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Freya does a few tricks. Standard type tricks are as follows: She will sit on command ( but with little zeal, even if treated), and when I place a finger by her nose and say "nosebump" she'll lick it (she really likes that one that one). She'll also come when i whistle for her or when she's fairly close but I don't know exactly where she'll usually pop out of her hiding spot when I say, "Where's my kitty?"

Slightly less traditional for cats but still fairly commonly, she plays fetch. She also plays soccer or "ball" sometimes, where you'll roll a ball to her and she'll kick it back to you (I don't yet have a video of her playing ball, but I'll get one darnit! ).

Best and sweetest of all is that she greets people by chirping "hello" in English.

That is quite impressive! Freya's a genius!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have posted this before, but I'm always happy to post it again!

I rescued a kitty 3+ years ago, and the second day I had him, he did this:

He still does it, but not as much. He begs for many things, including counters he wants to jump up on, moths he wants to catch or for treats. His name is Diamond.

Last edited:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
That is quite impressive! Freya's a genius!
She's a very smart cat (also very sweet and gentle, so I'm really lucky), and can say some other words, but I also believe that a lot of cats probably try to talk like us, but their first attempts are kind of garbled, so we assume "cats can't talk", ignore it, and they give up.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mogli has learned several commands: sit, shake ("paw"), sit up, jump up, jump down, touch (with his nose). He also knows come, but isn't too consistent about that one! He loves clicker training and comes running when I say "Clicker?". Of course, whenever he wants a treat he'll sit and offer his paw, which drives my husband nuts at mealtime.
I had a dog for 15 years, back in the day before I became a cat person. So it made me try to teach all of my cats dog tricks -- like yours, except only 'sit', 'come, and 'get down'. My first two cats learned to do these "tricks" quite well, no problems. However, Milly (in my avatar) will not learn to sit at all, nor to get down. Too stubborn.
:disappointed:

She does other tricks though, like come galloping around the corner when I yell "ici" twice a day (who knows why I picked a French word for "here" to train her to take her Flovent with the Aerokat inhaler). She loves "ici" time!! omg

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I had a dog for 15 years, back in the day before I became a cat person. So it made me try to teach all of my cats dog tricks
Same situation here. My family always had multiple dogs, but never more than 1 cat at a time, as have my husband and I, so we've tended to treat cats like dogs that are given a lot of leeway.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I just taught Charlie to scratch his post on command! It took a few days, but now I tap it, and he comes running over to scratch!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Farrell just started fetching, but only with a rubber band. I shoot the band so it bounces off a wall. She's faster than I am at spotting where it lands, carries it over and drops it close to me to shoot again. Pretty smart little feral kitten. :)