What to feed kitten with please helpppppp

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long story short the mama cat isnt nursing her 3 kittens. I cant find any goat mmilk and walmart only has Milk Replacer for puppy . Can i use that until tmrw when i cam find somethingelse helppp!!!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw your other post. I understand you cannot find goats milk or KMR. You can try temporarily using this….kitten glop recipe Other kitten helpers can offer better info. Evaporated milk can be used as a substitute for the goats milk in the kitten glop.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and StefanZ StefanZ may be along with better help than I can give. Others as well. Please keep us updated. Ask any questions as you need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I added an egg yolk to a can of evaporated milk heated in the microwave for 40 sec. Thats all i have on hand atm. The kittens didnt seem too fond of it but at least they got something in. Will try Petsmart tomorow. Thanks

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milk should get them through until you get what you need. I don’t know where you are but I think you can get KMR and even other ingredients through Chewy pretty quickly if you cannot find things locally. Specialty pet stores sometimes have goats milk and KMR Small private pet places as well. If you have a Tractor Supply store, they carry KMR. Feed baby carefully and while kitten is tummy down. Do not hold kitten upright to feed. Position kitty as though it is feeding from mom. Do you know about stimulating kitten to poop and pee? Burping?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milk should get them through until you get what you need. I don’t know where you are but I think you can get KMR and even other ingredients through Chewy pretty quickly if you cannot find things locally. Specialty pet stores sometimes have goats milk. Small private pet places as well. Do you know how to stimulate baby to go to the bathroom and burp? Maybe this article will help. Click on the link for info.
Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I added an egg yolk to a can of evaporated milk heated in the microwave for 40 sec. Thats all i have on hand atm. The kittens didnt seem too fond of it but at least they got something in. Will try Petsmart tomorow. Thanks
Good. When micring, be sure you shake the product well. Because the heat in micro is uneven; hot in places, and mild in places...

OK, emergency food: human substitute milk is OK, but dilute less.
A desperate forumite used substitute fluid for baby birds... It worked....

Canned milk could work. At least, there is an renown example of a kitten rescued in the Korea war. This american marine soldier, sitting in the trench with the little kitten (momma died of granat fire), giving it canned milk with a pipette... The cat grow up, and later on got transported home to USA.

Raw cow milk works well. Lotsa of orphans lived on this in farmer and peasant circumstances.
Buffalo raw milk is good.
Pasteurized and processed cow milk isnt good.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Long story short the mama cat isnt nursing her 3 kittens. I cant find any goat mmilk and walmart only has Milk Replacer for puppy . Can i use that until tmrw when i cam find somethingelse helppp!!!!
Ps. you can probably use this for puppy. its not optimal, and there is a risk for constipation. But its not poisonous by itself.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pet Smart will have kitten formula.

Here is a helpful video for syringe feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Hopefully they will begin nursing mom soon. Is she cleaning them? Are you weighing them?

Is this the mom with parvo? If so, she may not be feeling well enough to nurse right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
went to petsart and got the kitten formula while they weren’t really fond of it, at least they drank some.
Came home from dinner just now to feed the kitten and found mom nursing them. I’m dancing with joy!!!!!! Thanks
Btw why is everything at petsmart so hot dang expensive? I swear everywhere else sell the same thing for at least 30percent cheaper.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give a dish of formula to mom each day. She needs the extra calcium while nursing.