What To Expect When Adopting A Retired Breeding Cat.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
After increasing our living space (hopefully by the end of the year), my wife and I will probably get a second cat. My wife really loves Maincoons and Siberians, so we may get one of those. We don't want a kitten, so we're considering maybe getting a retired breeding cat.

We have some questiond and concerns, however, and while each cat is unique, hopefully at least some generalizations can be made to help us decide if it is something that would work for us and out situation or not.

First and foremost, we're wondering how well socialized can we expect the cat to be, given that most breeding cats live in cages with vastly less human interaction than pets?

Are there any issues like claw trimming, litter use, etc. ?

Are there any medical concerns, since the cat would have had several litters of kittens before spaying?

What sort of adaptation regime will be needed comapre to a normal cat?

How does their behavior compare?

How might introduction and interacting with our existing cat differ from other cats we might adopt?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good breeders don't have unsocialized breeding cats kept in cages. Have you talked to actual breeders yet about their cats and the living conditions of their cats? Most breeders that I know don't use cages unless they need to isolate or confine a cat temporarily. Retired show/breeding cats are normally extremely well socialized because of their experience traveling and being shown.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
First, the idea that breeding cats are kept in cages is a myth. Most breeders I know treat their breeding cats as members of the family so they are very well socialized. Yes, females may be caged when they're ready to have their kittens, but they aren't kept locked up all the time.

Intact males may be housed separately but it's more likely to be in a large room, not a cage, and they still get their share of human attention.

They should be used to having their claws trimmed, especially if they've been shown. The breeder will be able to tell you how they react to that.

The sales contract from a breeder will most likely include a health guarantee. If it doesn't, you should ask about it. If there are health issues, an ethical breeder will tell you what they are and what you can expect in treatment, vet bills, etc.

When adopting an adult cat, as a general rule what you see is what you get. The breeder will know the personality of the cat and will want to meet you to determine if you're a good match for their precious babies.

Introductions to other pets (and people) will be exactly the same as with any other cat. Just take it slow and let the animals tell you when they're ready to move on to the next step.

If there are any CFA or TICA shows in your area you might want to go as a spectator and meet some of the the breeders. You'll get a better feel for both the breeds and the way the individual cats are treated. You may even find a different breed that you didn't know about that could be the perfect match for you and your present kitty.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Female cats that have had kittens are more susceptible to mammary gland cancer, but that's not a big risk. I had a female once who had six litters of kittens, and she lived to be 18-20 years old and died of old age.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Good breeders don’t keep their cats in cages; they’re members of the family, just like all of our kitties. You can expect your new kitty to be very well socialized from having met and interacted with so many people at shows, as well as very accustomed to being groomed, held, having nail trims, and even baths! I’d recommend checking out CFA and/or TICA shows. That’s a great place to meet reputable breeders.

Show Calendar

Cat Shows - Official TICA Show Calendar

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should chime in here, since I have a retired breeding queen. We got Kitty last fall, from a semi-local breeder who specializes in old-style Siamese and Balinese cats. The breeder was very careful to scrutinize me thoroughly via telephone, and she seems to be successful in TICA. I really wanted this cat and felt bad about getting a kitten when I could give an older cat a home, so I decided to get her.

When I went to pick my cat up, I could tell right away that things were not right. The breeder was gross and the cat was dirty, visibly sick, and even in the first stages of dying. She had just been spayed the day before, which was the excuse I was given. So, I made a decision and took her anyway. Hopefully that decision is not offensive in its stupidity, but I couldn’t stand the thought of leaving her there to die, her blue eyes were like, “help me, human friend”.

So yeah she turned out to have severe stomatitis. She had to have all her teeth out in an emergency extraction the week she came to us. The vet was very clear that she wouldn’t have made it otherwise—my choices were, put her to sleep or operate. This of course cost all of my savings, and all my income was (and is) drained by repeat vet visits. I reported the breeder and the vet who spayed her (my vet said she shouldn’t have been spayed without a health check etc) to the authorities in that city and to the state, so hopefully something came of that. I did see that the breeder has since unloaded most of her cats, but she is still breeding and maybe even showing a few.

All in all, I think this was one of the most horrible times in my life. I almost would have chosen euthanasia since she was suffering so much, if it weren’t for my little daughter. Kitty still suffers from stomatitis despite having no teeth, and the vet doesn’t know if she should even keep getting her steroid shots. I’m worried about her and more broke than I’ve been since I was a teenager.

But let me add something. The breeder described her personality pretty clearly, and she’s exactly as described. She is super friendly, chatty, loves to play, elegant, beautiful, and just all-around awesome. My husband is obsessed with her. She is so sweet and must have been well socialized because she loves all people. She also loves cats, and was pretty lonely for a cat friend until we got our kitten, whom she loves to groom (even now that the massive “kitten” towers over her). Basically she is an amazing angel and we’re so glad she’s part of our lives, even though she might not be with us for many long years. So I don’t know what the moral of this story is, but there you go.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a terrible thing that happened to you, but you are wonderful to take her and see that she got good veterinary care. Hope you have many more wonderful days with her.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is for Sargon, the op. You might also check with breed rescues for Maine Coons and Siberians. You will probably still get an older (non kitten) cat. And probably for free or act a minimum charge. Good luck. Nice thought about adopting an older cat.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I have a retired breeding Siberian. She came to me when she was 5 and is now 10. She was clearly extremely traumatized; not sure if it was from having litters and then having her babies taken away, from being handled more than she would have liked, from the breeder, etc. It took ages for her to warm up to me, and now she’s really the best.

However, we are in the middle of diagnosing what may be breast cancer. We knew this was a risk given that she wasn’t spayed until she was 5, and I’m devastated.

I don’t know that I would do anything differently, but this situation may not end the way I would have hoped.