What to expect after neutering/spaying

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

First time cat owner here!

I've booked my black male and female domestic shorthair sibling kittens in for their neutering and spaying on the day they turn 5 months old.

I was just wondering what to expect afterwards and if anyone has any advice.

They hate to be separated so was wondering if separating them was a necessity?

I'll be working from home afterwards as well so was wondering what to look out for/how to handle them.

Thanks in advance everyone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also is dust free cat litter worth getting?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why wait until they are five months old. The female could actually become pregnant (yes, by her own brother) before she turns five months old, so I wouldn't wait until that time. Both my boys were neutered around eight weeks of age, although some may content that might be a little young still. They were still at the rescue and that was their "rule".

As to the aftercare, your Vet should give you all the instructions you will need. Many people don't even put a cone on the cats afterwards. Some people use a baby onesy on the females just to keep them from licking the wound. You'll need to try to keep them from bouncing off the walls for a little while, and as far as I know, that's it.

Oh, and as far as dust free litter, I think it's worth it. It's all in your personal choice!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had a bit of trouble after the spays and neuters. Some vets give anesthetics that wear off slowly and the cats might be wobbly when returned to the owners, but it will wear off. None of mine ever were given those.

I usually was given some pain meds to administer. The cats didn't have any problems on those. They were all administered orally with a syringe.

Never had to use a cone or onesie on any of my cats. They left the incisions alone.

Did put them in a bedroom (individually, as all of mine had their operations at different times) for a day or two right after they came home. This was to give any anesthetic time to wear off as well as to give their incisions a good start to healing. They didn't particularly like that, but were okay.

They all returned to pretty much regular activities within three days or so, but I took away all chase toys for a week and gave them extra paper bags and boxes to hide in, even though they're not necessarily "hidey" cats.

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why wait until they are five months old. The female could actually become pregnant (yes, by her own brother) before she turns five months old, so I wouldn't wait until that time. Both my boys were neutered around eight weeks of age, although some may content that might be a little young still. They were still at the rescue and that was their "rule".

As to the aftercare, your Vet should give you all the instructions you will need. Many people don't even put a cone on the cats afterwards. Some people use a baby onesy on the females just to keep them from licking the wound. You'll need to try to keep them from bouncing off the walls for a little while, and as far as I know, that's it.

Oh, and as far as dust free litter, I think it's worth it. It's all in your personal choice!

Hi!

Unfortunately the vets won't do them before they are 5 months old. I have mentioned about doing it earlier because if their different sexes but that's the earliest they gave me unfortunately.

Okay I shall have a look into baby onesies for the female (how will she go to the toilet?)

I'm going to keep them in my small bedroom with me for a few days and remove bedside furniture to jump on, the only thing will be the bed but I don't have any rooms without furniture and our bathroom is super tiny.

Okay, I shall grab some paper pellet pet litter I have seen for preparation.

Thank you! :)

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only give you advice on male's being done. I didn't separate mine unless I wasn't going to be with them. They didn't need a cone or pain meds after a couple of day's I found myself separateing them until they calmed down because they was trying to play fight. So back to normal. The last male I had done literally jumped out of the carrier the moment it was opened and cuddled us like he'd been away for a month. I had to move all his toy's cat tree away because he acted like nothing had happened. I used paper litter for a few day's after with boy's. If you search on you tube there are some videos to show how to make cat onesies from old t-shirts for your girl. They don't cover her bits so she'll be able to go.

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only give you advice on male's being done. I didn't separate mine unless I wasn't going to be with them. They didn't need a cone or pain meds after a couple of day's I found myself separateing them until they calmed down because they was trying to play fight. So back to normal. The last male I had done literally jumped out of the carrier the moment it was opened and cuddled us like he'd been away for a month. I had to move all his toy's cat tree away because he acted like nothing had happened. I used paper litter for a few day's after with boy's. If you search on you tube there are some videos to show how to make cat onesies from old t-shirts for your girl. They don't cover her bits so she'll be able to go.
Thank you so much!

It's actually really helpful having so many people to ask for advice. Make me feel less anxious and alone!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!

It's actually really helpful having so many people to ask for advice. Make me feel less anxious and alone!
This site has helped me when I've been worried. The people are lovely and want to help. And because we are from all over the world there is normally someone to answer questions online. Try not to worry and remind yourself that you are doing what's best for your fur babies.:purr:

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

So the vet ended up doing the neutering for both of them earlier due to finding that the female had mammory hyperplasia anyway and thought best to have them done at the same time (today- picked them up at 4pm)

I did try paper pellet litter and integrate them before the surgery but unfortunately the male was more interested in eating it so went back to the clumping litter. The female was given needle biopsy at the same time (due to lumps on her neck and suspecting possible allergies) so they have used non-dissolving sutures.

Currently have them both in the bedroom with me and the male is bouncing off the walls wearing his cone, chewing the litter mat and fighting his water bowl (aka a watery puddle all over the floor) 😂. Female is currently snuggled up with my hubbie (photo below), however have noticed she's having some trouble walking and standing up without falling over. Is this normal? Or do you think it might be the buster suit they gave her? She was chewing on her sutures when I got home so I immediately put her in it (I did try her in a baby onesie but it doesn't cover neck with the needle biopsy suture is).

She is a bit shakey and paws felt a bit cold, hence why she is snuggled up in bed with us (heater blanket is on). Both of them have eaten since they've been home, and they have both urinated.

Please let me know (I did check forums put couldn't find anything)

Attachments

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, took the suit off and she can walk fine. Will she get used to the suit?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The suit activates the scruffing refllex. She may or may not get used to it. I got a Thunder Shirt for my cats for anxiety at the vet. It works to calm and scruff them, sort of what your cat's suit is doing. They stumble around a bit, but can walk. It does get somewhat better as they wear it, but they remain a little bit wobbly. I don't use the shirt any more. They do well at the vet without it.

She may have been under the anesthetic a bit, so her coordination might improve. It seems to have done so, from what you said. It seems to depend on what type of anesthetic is administered.

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

So we end up changing the body suit to the cone for the female as she just couldn't stand up wearing the body suit at all. We've cut a fluffy sock up and popped it round her neck to help with comfort on her neck sutures. She managed to pull out her stitches in the morning after her spay so we took her to the vet who put a bit of glue on her. Incision for both of them looks good.

They have both been confined to our small bedroom with us. We have cat beds under the bed and also a heating pad. They have been sleeping most of the time since they had it done (on Thursday, today is Sunday). We take off both of their cones when they are eating or when they are on the bed with us so we can see them, and let them out in the living room twice a day for a little run around for 15-30 mins but keep an eye on them.

Is it normal for them to sleep so much? They aren't really as hyperactive as they usually are but was wondering if the confinement coupled with the cones is making them sleepy and if it is normal? They are eating well and going to the toilet (both poops and pees). I have a vets appointment tomorrow so will bring it up but just wanted to make sure they are ok.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are giving them any pain medication I would expect them to sleep most of the day away.

Ashleigh1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are giving them any pain medication I would expect them to sleep most of the day away.
Ahhh thank you. They are both on loxicom for a few days!

Thank you for putting me at ease :)