What to do

Gail pickard

Gail
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Looking for advise
I’m about to take on my sister in/law’s to 19 year old female cats, due to her health problems
I have two male 1 year old cats ( very spoilt)
One of the old cats has been doing the toilet on puppy pads ( just refused to use cat litter tray when my sister in law moved house)
Thankfully cat uses the pads, the other cat is absolutely fine
I’m just a bit concerned about how my cats will react,
I really can’t put old cats away ,
Also my cats are indoors, so are the older cats, but now and again will be out in the back garden
All cats have been neutered
My cats were treated with Strong Hold
for short time. As didn’t see the point continuing as they don’t get out
Should I give all 4 cats a treatment or just the old ladies
All advice would be appreciated
Gail

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks for taking on the care of your SIL's 2 senior cats

With your 2 young cats, and the senor girls, I would plan to do a very slow introduction between them. Meaning plan to keep the girls in a separate room, or area of the home, and follow the general cat introduction rules. Here's a TCS article with more info: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite

It's hard to know how your cats will react, but I think being so young, they'll adjust quicker than the seniors. But do watch all cats for any signs of stress, such as not eating normally. More info here: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

As for the Strong Hold, perhaps check with your vet and get their advice, since the girls are senior kitties. Unless they normally get it, then it probably would be ok, if they'd been outside recently and could have fleas. You certainly don't want them bringing them into your home.

And with the cat that uses the puppy pee pads, maybe try a different size litter box, and possibly Cat Attract litter to see if that might entice her to start using the litter box again.

Good luck.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything above, she may have arthritis and can't handle a regular litter box. Females are the limit setters, the manners teachers, and usually do not tolerate male attention and playfulness. So any hissing, swatting, and growling are all perfectly normal. You might consider a big wire dog kennel borrowed from someone on Facebook, with a place for them to hide and feel safe for introductions when it is time for them to be seen. They all are going to be traumatized, especially the older ones not having the comfort of their caregiver and home, so slow and easy is the key with lots of scent swapping and cuddles. It takes months to introduce cats. Don't let your boys bully them either as resident cats often do and keep a piece of stiff cardboard around to stick between them if they fight. It is going to be difficult, but these things happen every day so you are not alone. The first step is complete separation, then go from there. We can help you, so come here anytime you like. Bless you, for taking them in......

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 y.o.s might growl and hiss but if you follow the guide linked above they will be fine. Maybe quickly.

The real issue is that senior cats often HATE young cats that try to play with them incessantly, and this can last months sometimes.

All in all, I would probably just keep the 2 senior cats in a room for a good while and not even worry about following the guide and trying to push an introduction process unless and until the two older ones seem to be adapting well. I mean, lets say they show signs of taking this poorly, which would be normal. Is it worth causing them stress over months? Maybe not. Maybe better they just live in a single room in your house. On the other hand, if they are in great shape for 19 and you think this could go 6 months or longer, then sure, give an intro a whirl. Or if they surprise us and seem to be doing well with the idea of new cats.

Kind of like if you aren't politically active, but you somehow have both a hardcore liberal and hardcore conservative friend. Maybe they don't need to meet and try to get along. Especially if one of them is 90 years old and one might move away in few months anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gail pickard

Gail
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks for taking on the care of your SIL's 2 senior cats

With your 2 young cats, and the senor girls, I would plan to do a very slow introduction between them. Meaning plan to keep the girls in a separate room, or area of the home, and follow the general cat introduction rules. Here's a TCS article with more info: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite

It's hard to know how your cats will react, but I think being so young, they'll adjust quicker than the seniors. But do watch all cats for any signs of stress, such as not eating normally. More info here: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

As for the Strong Hold, perhaps check with your vet and get their advice, since the girls are senior kitties. Unless they normally get it, then it probably would be ok, if they'd been outside recently and could have fleas. You certainly don't want them bringing them into your home.

And with the cat that uses the puppy pee pads, maybe try a different size litter box, and possibly Cat Attract litter to see if that might entice her to start using the litter box again.

Good luck.
Thank you sooo much for your advice, I will give the litter a try,
i have been keeping the sister’s intheliving room, with their litter tray/ puppy pad also food and water
They seem to be ok, enjoying looking out the living room window and sleeping ok
Only concern, the cat that uses the pads hasn’t done the toilet yet, only peed once
Def not the other end as I would see it
The other one has been ok , still using her toilet tray
My own two have the rest of the house and seem fine

Gail pickard

Gail
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with everything above, she may have arthritis and can't handle a regular litter box. Females are the limit setters, the manners teachers, and usually do not tolerate male attention and playfulness. So any hissing, swatting, and growling are all perfectly normal. You might consider a big wire dog kennel borrowed from someone on Facebook, with a place for them to hide and feel safe for introductions when it is time for them to be seen. They all are going to be traumatized, especially the older ones not having the comfort of their caregiver and home, so slow and easy is the key with lots of scent swapping and cuddles. It takes months to introduce cats. Don't let your boys bully them either as resident cats often do and keep a piece of stiff cardboard around to stick between them if they fight. It is going to be difficult, but these things happen every day so you are not alone. The first step is complete separation, then go from there. We can help you, so come here anytime you like. Bless you, for taking them in......
Thank you,
I just couldn’t see them being placed in another home with someone they didn’t know
At least they know me and my partner and are familiar with us
They are quite frail so I hope I can give them some comfort for whatever time they have, as they are 19 years old
Much appreciated for your advice

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Only concern, the cat that uses the pads hasn’t done the toilet yet, only peed once
Def not the other end as I would see it
How long have they been at your place? Do you know if that one cat is prone to constipation?

Gail pickard

Gail
Kitten
Purraise
How long have they been at your place? Do you know if that one cat is prone to constipation?
They have been at my place for a week,
Things seem ok, have the old ladies tray in my living room at the moment,( not ideal) but no choice as I’ve to separate them from my two young cats.
No, to your question, this isn’t an issue, but this is so strange, Mitzi has actually used her litter box, can’t believe it.
I put a puppy pad in the tray with just a small amount of litter. Fingers xx
After all this time doing toilet on pads in her other house
I just feel for my own cats,

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that Mitzi has used her litter box. Fingers crossed she keeps it up. :crossfingers:

About your cats, cat you switch it up, and put the older ladies in a different room, and let your resident kitties have their normal run of the house?

Gail pickard

Gail
Kitten
Purraise
1 y.o.s might growl and hiss but if you follow the guide linked above they will be fine. Maybe quickly.

The real issue is that senior cats often HATE young cats that try to play with them incessantly, and this can last months sometimes.

All in all, I would probably just keep the 2 senior cats in a room for a good while and not even worry about following the guide and trying to push an introduction process unless and until the two older ones seem to be adapting well. I mean, lets say they show signs of taking this poorly, which would be normal. Is it worth causing them stress over months? Maybe not. Maybe better they just live in a single room in your house. On the other hand, if they are in great shape for 19 and you think this could go 6 months or longer, then sure, give an intro a whirl. Or if they surprise us and seem to be doing well with the idea of new cats.

Kind of like if you aren't politically active, but you somehow have both a hardcore liberal and hardcore conservative friend. Maybe they don't need to meet and try to get along. Especially if one of them is 90 years old and one might move away in few months anyway.
Thanks so much for your great advice, much appreciated
The two old ladies are the worst for hissing, my baby boys are just wandering what’s going on.
Anyway, things are going ok, just a bit of a stress having two litter trays in my living room but it had to be done.
My two , Dusty and Lucky Bob , seem to be fine and I’ve kept there litter tray wher it was before the ladies arrived.
For some odd reason. That’s cats for you, Mitzy is now using the litter tray???
I put a puppy pad liner and a very small amount of litter in her tray 🤞
Thanks again for advice