What to do?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was unsure whether to post this in the Heath forum or here, but this seems more fitting. There are many stray cats near my house, and when my outside cat, Milkshake, died, I told myself to no longer have any outside animals because it is so rough for them. Here we are, almost three months later, and a new stray showed up to my house. I could tell it was hungry, so I gave it food and water. It has now been showing up to my house after 5 pm each day now. I know it is considering my home as it’s home. When it first came, I posted it on Facebook, asking if anyone had lost this cat or wanted a cat because he is so friendly. People shared it, but to no avail because no one reached out to me for him. I’ve asked people in my family if they want a cat, but no one does. My fiancé has asked people, and they don’t either. This is where I’m in a dilemma.

The cat has started to make a coughing/wheezing noise. I am unsure if it’s just a hairball trying to pass, asthma, or something else. There are many mean neighbors around that are pretty vocal about their hate of cats. I have had several strays come, and stay at my house because I am the only friendly one. When I was 11, I was probably feeding about 15 cats or more. Don’t get me wrong, I loved all of them so much, but their lives were hard. Sometimes when I would come home from school, a cat would never show up to be fed. Other times I’d go to bed, and wake up the next morning to feed them, only to see that one was missing. This happened to kittens, and adult and elderly cats. This is why I am so worried about this cat.

I do not have the money to take it to the vet. With coronavirus, my family and I have been in a pinch. My family has called the animal shelter, but they plainly said, “we will take any cats, but if they don’t get adopted quickly, they will be euthanized.” I cannot stand that. The shelter is overfilled. I get sick to my stomach thinking that the majority of those animals get euthanized because they don’t get adopted. There are no other places to turn for this cat. No one will take it, no place is willing to help it, and I don’t have the money to take it to vet.

The cat seems healthy in all other ways besides this coughing/wheezing. However, it seems like it is doing it more often. I am worried about getting my 9 year old inside cat sick. When I got my new kitten, it had an upper respiratory infection and my inside cat ended up catching it as well. It really took a toll on him, and I feared he would not make it. If this stray cat is sick, I cannot risk getting my inside cat sick again. I don’t know what to do. I refuse to let any animal go hungry. A part of me feels like I should have never fed it in the first place because then it wouldn’t have stuck around, but that’s just not me.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do? I feel like there’s nothing. I just needed to come on here and talk about it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, after going outside or having any interaction with the stray cat at all, simply wash your hands when you come back in and that should cut down the chances of your cat catching anything by a lot. if you hadn't started feeding it chances are the little one would have died, especially since it sounds like someone dumped it. On Amazon, there is a cat med called 'Nose Relief' that worked very well for my cats when they got URI's it is very cheap and you might try it. I can empathize with your dilemma, I keep saying too that I will not start feeding any more cats, and now I have two teenagers that just showed up. Needless to say, they have food and heated huts for the winter! Cat heat pads are not that expensive and can save a life. Mine have worked fro years now. A simple tote or old dog house wrapped in blankets can serve as a hut. You will be blessed for trying to help that little one, just do what you can and know you tried when others would not. We can support you here, please keep in touch!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Any possible contacts in these links below, in terms of finding some financial support? Also, if any of these groups are in your area, they may also have contacts for rescue centers who are no-kill options. Sometimes, rescue centers don't actually have a shelter location, but coordinate their efforts with volunteers who serve as fosters. Don't know where you are located, but some pet stores may also be good contact points, as many of the animals they put up for adoption are from those same fosters/rescue centers.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.
About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets
What is CareCredit? | CareCredit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread is old, but I thought I’d update everyone. I did decide to keep feeding him, and I even ended up naming him, Tappy, because he loved to tap on everything. Tappy has currently been missing for two days. I am extremely upset at myself because for three days before he disappeared, I did not get to see him much. When I was asleep, my mom said he was out there. However, when I would wake up, he would be gone and wouldn’t come back until later. This made it for me to see him only once a day when we usually seen each other multiple times a day. Today, I am going to try and get ahold of the animal shelter and see if the pound picked him up even though I feel like it’s unlikely. I am also going to drive around, and see if I can find him anywhere. I am very upset and just wish I knew where he was. I can only fear the worst. I am scared for him.
3D53F743-37B7-4A9A-AFD6-E2C602C7793D.jpeg
64D173C1-493E-460F-9435-ADB4B924AD66.jpeg
2B29D8BE-7884-4062-94E0-855073CF938B.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.......don't give up, he may come back yet, I've had several outside cats disappear for even a week and show back up. Definitely check with teh shelter, and maybe ask a few neighbors to check their sheds and garages. I will pray he returns.....

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Were you able to find Tappy? I hope so, he’s such a cute little guy,
sometimes they do wander off for a few days but keep the faith....
I’ve cared for outdoor cats that have taken off for a few days but end up coming back. Keep us posted. Prayers for his return.

This thread is old, but I thought I’d update everyone. I did decide to keep feeding him, and I even ended up naming him, Tappy, because he loved to tap on everything. Tappy has currently been missing for two days. I am extremely upset at myself because for three days before he disappeared, I did not get to see him much. When I was asleep, my mom said he was out there. However, when I would wake up, he would be gone and wouldn’t come back until later. This made it for me to see him only once a day when we usually seen each other multiple times a day. Today, I am going to try and get ahold of the animal shelter and see if the pound picked him up even though I feel like it’s unlikely. I am also going to drive around, and see if I can find him anywhere. I am very upset and just wish I knew where he was. I can only fear the worst. I am scared for him. View attachment 365343View attachment 365344View attachment 365345

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tappy still has not shown up. I called the pound, and they do not have him. I posted on Facebook, and a girl said she seen a cat that looked a lot like him walking near a highway at 10 pm. That was two days ago. I’ve been driving down that highway ever since then, but there are no signs of him. If he had been hit by a vehicle, it would have been very easy to see him.

Yesterday I thought I saw him across the road, but after I walked by, it turned out to be another cat. I really have no clue where he could be. I hope he is okay wherever he is.