What To Do With Undercooked Food?

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hubby helped cook the chicken and livers for last night's batch of food and they ended up more raw than usual. I thought it would be OK, but after feeding the cats a 50/50 mixture of the last batch and this one I've been cleaning up puke all over the house. :barfgreen:

I have 2 weeks worth of undercooked food in the freezer. Can I cook it more before feeding it or will the cats get food poisoning? The food would've been cooked, frozen, defrosted, cooked again, then refrigerated until eaten. (They eat it cold.)

What about the supplements? I know you're supposed to add them last so they're not heated. How big a deal would it be if the supplements were messed up for 2 weeks?

Am I overthinking? I tend to be a worrier...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be all right to cook it more if you aren't using bones in the mix. I would not cook it more if it contains ground bones. You can add a little more taurine and B-Complex after cooking some more. The B-Complex is main supplement which would be degraded by heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I decided to cook it more because I figured that even with degraded supplements it was better to have something that would stay in them rather than something they keep puking up. (Not to mention it's easier on me!) I do the pressure cooked bones so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll add extra taurine and B to each tub before serving.
Thanks again! :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's right. You turn bones into "calcium mush" (essentially bone meal) so that shouldn't be an issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I still plan to get a grinder but we had to replace the furnace, then one of the cars, and you know how it goes...

I guess in this instance it's a good thing we haven't gotten one yet! :wink: