what to do with gelled drippings

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I roasted 15#'s of boneless/skinless chicken and saved the drippings in the fridge overnight. Took off the layer of fat this morning and have nice gel with small bits of chicken in it. 

What can I use the gel for?

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could use it for broth to make soup or gravy, or feed it to your cats. I vote for feeding it to the cats. They will love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Malý has been supervising me in the kitchen all day and has already staked a claim on it! How much can they have at a time? I'm going to freeze it in little portions. 

Another question. I'm going to [try] to make bone broth with the turkey drumstick bones and skin. If it turns out, should I mix it in with the gelled drippings? I don't suppose it really matters . . .?

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bone broth is good for them, too. You can feed them as much as you want, but I guess I would parcel it out in half-cup servings. If your cats have crystal issues, it will help a lot to have the broth. The water helps to dilute the urine and dissolve the crystals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No crystal issues [knock wood] just sensitive digestive systems - especially Hezký. Those problems have resolved once we figured out that it's starch of any kind, even the smallest amount, that they can't tolerate. 

Can I just use the drippings/broth in place of water when making their food? Or do I need to recalculate nutrients?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cook our cats' meats with some water and then save all the liquid, including a lot of the fat, to use in the food. Even though I add water to the meat before cooking, I just think of the resulting liquid as part of the original meat: Food Fur Life, maker of EZcomplete, specifically says to save as many drippings as possible because they contain nutrients. (that advice is on this page)

I don't know what to say about bone broth because of mineral balances!