What to do with frozen liver?

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm brand new to home-made and we are transitioning slooooowly.

Someone gifted me with a 20oz container of Tyson's frozen chicken livers! Now what do I do?! 

I know not to feed too much because it's high in Vitamin A and too much is toxic. So I'd appreciate a guess-timate of how much, how often. Then I'll thaw it out, re-package it and refreeze.

I'm thinking that I'll blend it into a puree and freeze it in small 1/2 oz portions to add to a meal now and then. [cuz I have the cutest little round ice-cube trays!]

Neither of my two have been overly fond of liver when it came in their canned food - so I'm hoping that REAL tastes better.  
  Either that or put some in a big batch and hope the stuff l=they like drowns out the liver . . .

[OMG - I HATE GUTS! I can't believe I'm actually talking about pureeing them, etc . . .]

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let it partially defrost, just enough so you can separate the livers, then snip into small pieces with scissors.  Re-freeze them on a tray or parchment sheet.  Then store them in a freezer bag and voila, little liver treats that are quick to defrost.  My cats love the stuff!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm slow, as well as fairly new to cats.
 Could you be a bit more specific please? LOL

How small and then how often can they have one?   

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess it depends on how big your cats are, and how they handle liver.  And, whether they like it!  Not all cats do.

Let's assume you have a 10 lb cat, eating 4.8 oz of food per day.  As 15% of the diet can be unbalanced, that means you can feed as much as 0.7 oz/day and be just fine.  How about starting with 0.1 oz pieces and see how they do.  Feed just one a day to start with, then increase as tolerated.  By "tolerate", I mean their stools are unchanged, they like the liver treats, and don't regurgitate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds good! I'm hoping they'll like the real stuff more than they did whatever it was that was in the canned food! We're still transitioning off of that. They like poached chicken and turkey so I'm not going to throw too many new things at once at them. But I can still get the liver portioned out before, so that helps alot. 

Oh - they're 11 + 14 pounds. I swear the little one eats twice as much as her big brother! She is alot more active than her is, but I still think she's mostly hollow inside!