What to do with an old wedding dress?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm in the process of cleaning out my mother's house and came across her wedding dress, crammed in a garbage bag inside of a box in her attic. It's from 1953 and obviously not in good shape.

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

I have no idea what to do with it. My husband has suggested putting it in a tote and bringing it here and thinking about it for a while, which is what I will probably ultimately end up doing. I know things like this can be made into pillows or memory bears and maybe at some point I will do something like that for myself. I don't really have a huge attachment to it but I also don't feel right about just throwing it away. My mother does not have a close relationship with any of her grandkids so none would be interested in incorporating it into a future wedding dress, etc.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used my mom's wedding dress to make J's baptism gown. It was preserved and in better shape, and if the grandkids aren't close they probably wouldn't be interested in that.

0613211716.jpg

But maybe there would be a place to donate it who would make like angel gowns for stillborn babies or something?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If you decide not to keep it you may want to consider taking it to a vintage clothing store. I'm sure they'd love it. Some bridal stores buy vintage dresses too. But I agree with your DH, you may want to bring it home and take your time before making a decision.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My bestie sometimes fixes up vintage clothing. I think in your case I would hang onto it and have it turned into some memory pillows or something of that nature.

My bestie turned bridesmaid dresses from my wedding into a dress for DD and a vest for DS. But I like the idea of something that can be out all the time. My mother did hang our christening gown like a decoration. Until my stepsiblings decided to have a food fight with grapes… :rolleyes3:

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Angel Gowns has chapters in many states. They could make many garments from your dress.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off I'd get it dry cleaned and see how it comes back. It could look completely different. Then I'd do what your husband suggested and think about it. If it comes out good it could be donated to a charity shop. I love the idea of Angel gowns like others have surgested. But once you've had time to think about it you might decide that you want to turn it into something to remind you of your mum. Like you said a a pillow or bear.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was not fancy, it was not in my nature to pay those prices for something I would wear once, despite my future sister-in-law telling me that's what credit cards were for (um...no). We had a very simple ceremony. Would have just gone to the JP, but future mother-in-law had a fit about not having it in a church. It was two piece, which I figured I could wear again. Turns out I never did, but I kept it in good condition, and ultimately donated it. I did not have sentimental attachment to it.

But I agree with the idea of having it dry cleaned to see how it comes out. If it comes out looking better, I would donate it if you have no sentimental attachment to it. Otherwise, make something from it as an heirloom.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a pretty unusual wedding outfit and gave it to the museum who were collecting wedding attire through the years.
But I think the others have some great ideas. :)
What was your unusual wedding outfit, that you could give to a museum? Do you have a picture to show us?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
What was your unusual wedding outfit, that you could give to a museum? Do you have a picture to show us?
No I don't. It was from the 80s.. It was a silk pantsuit.. baggy pants and a long tunic top, lightly belted at the waist with a silk tie. The front of the top was handpainted on the silk by a local artist in an art nouveau pattern. It certainly wasn't 'sexy' but that's not my thing. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like the idea of holding off for now. I like the idea of the Angel Gowns. But I also like the idea of donating it, simply because somebody who can't afford a wedding gown might fall in love with it for her own wedding.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I like the idea of holding off for now. I like the idea of the Angel Gowns. But I also like the idea of donating it, simply because somebody who can't afford a wedding gown might fall in love with it for her own wedding.
Yes, unless it's torn or otherwise damaged too badly, I'd give someone the option of wearing it. It's so old and there's something quite special about that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, unless it's torn or otherwise damaged too badly, I'd give someone the option of wearing it. It's so old and there's something quite special about that.
It's filthy in spots. I would have to bring it to a cleaner first. I do think the lace may be too fragile for that though.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the vintage shop. Many people would love the idea of a authentic vintage wedding dress - especially from the 1950's! That style is still popular nowadays for fun, so if you want to donate it I would opt for a vintage clothing or antique store instead of a typical thrift store.

Other options for include donating to a Theatre Group, as it would make a great costume piece. A good professional specialized cleaner can work around with properly cleaning it without risk of damage to the delicate parts.

Otherwise you can repurpose it into something else, as others mentioned. A tablecloth or runner, quilt, pillow covers, hairpieces, curtains, ruffles, turning it into an art display, a satin/lace floral bouquet etc

It's a pretty cool item so definitely wouldn't want it thrown away. Keep taking your time thinking about it, no doubt your "Aha!" moment about what to do will show up in no time.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're really at a loss and don't have too much of an emotional attachment to it. Dirty it up even more and sell it or donate it as a Halloween costume.