What to do with an extremely feral paralyzed cat?

NNNSS3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to feed this cat and he was always afraid of humans so I just let him be. I saw him in the streets a week ago and thought he was hit by a car as he was dragging himself. After an X-ray it turned out to be a bullet in the spine. He stayed for a week at the vet and was cleared to go home. I can't properly take care of him because he hisses and smacks and is so afraid. I don't know how to or if it is possible to tame this adult cat.

Some asshole I know who happens to live with me let him out in the middle of the night because he was making noise and he dragged himself back to the usual spot where he would be, it broke my heat. He doesn't understand why he can't be there. 💔

I need advice on how to tame him and if anyone knows of any organizations or rescues that might be able to help please let me know. BTW, I am in Kuwait. But i am willing to transport him abroad to US/Canada for a better life.

Attachments

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Others will be along to offer better assistance than I can.
Are you able to keep him? I am assuming the bullet has been removed?
He is hissing and smacking because he is injured, probably hurting, and scared to death. My suggestion for now is to give him a safe place to be like a big box, covered crate etc. The crate should be big enough that he can move around a little and that he can reach food. Keep the lights low...he looks exposed in the picture and I suspect that makes him feel unsafe.
He will make noise because he is not trusting yet. Time will take care of that. Hopefully others will be along soon to give you more advice.
Bless you for trying to care for this poor cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NNNSS3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you so much for the reply. I did get him a crate with a cover just yesterday and he already seems calmer. Do you have any advice on how to approach him to wipe and clean his bottom as he is incontinent.
I am keeping him in a small room in the crate I mentioned for now.

I’d like to be able to help more with a second opinion from the vet but he is acting too aggressive for doctors to be able to do any treatments or physical therapy.

and thanks I’ll keep the light low!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am unclear as to whether or not he is still inside....I think that he is from your post and pic. At this point, keeping him in a crate and small room is much better than any other option and he needs to be protected as he is completely defenseless.

I don't know if this would work, but my vets will often give a sedative shot to a cat by tipping the crate so that the cat falls against the door which is usually a grated opening or through a soft sided carrier if that is what the cat is in. However, sedation may not be what you need. It would help for keeping him clean in the meantime as you try to work with him and might let vets examine him more thoroughly.

One thing that is on your side is that he is trapped, in a good way, and dependent on you. He really has no choice but to calm down eventually. If you try to handle him, use good gloves like rose pruning gloves or animal handling gloves or sturdy leather. If you can touch him he also might start to realize that you are safe.

As I am reading this, he was a completely feral cat who had no human contact. Thanks to your immense kindness, he went from that to a house cat and that is a big transition. Even if he were just a feral you brought it, it would take time. The first step is having a place of his own, which he seems to. Visit and sit with him but don't always try to engage him; I do realize he is injured and probably has to be handled. Avoid eye contact. Soft soothing music, Feliway plug ins if you think they will work.

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles
Handling Feral Cats – TheCatSite Articles

As for organizations, Alley Cat Allies, even the Humane Society of the United States, the ASPCA. You are asking for connections to other groups as these groups won't be able to actually take him. Aside from that, start to google for groups in Europe or the UK initially and see what you come up with. Try special needs cat rescues. Always use good judgment with these groups though and make sure they are on the level and that he would not be going to someone who would hurt him or had another purpose for him.

What is the prognosis? Can he walk or is he paralyzed in the back? There are cat carts but that is a long way down the road as he has to be much friendlier to try that.

You have done an amazing thing to rescue him and get him medical care.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't offer much off top of head but THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH for helping him! I saw this thread & my heart stopped. It is THIS kind of thing affirms there is beyond evil but I know too, in the afterlife evil has NO POWER!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of this innocent soul.
There are organizations that cater specifically to cats with special needs (both feral and tame) and they have the funds/staff/time to deal with situations like these. A local one in my area (Ohio, USA) will keep them until they find a suitable home, or let them live a great, medically cared for life at their facility. Some places will even provide assistance if you decide to keep the special kitty at your home.
While he may be feral and have gone through a horrible situation, cats are extremely forgiving. He may require a cart, or at least kitty diapers due to his incontinence.
In the meantime, make sure that "asshole you live with" understands that this cat will not survive outdoors and no matter what, he needs to stay inside (or stick the human outside instead). To clean him, make sure you have a tough glove and you'll have to scruff him on the back of the neck. Have a warm bowl of water and either "pet safe soap" or another pet safe product along with a washcloth. Just keep getting the washcloth wet and wipe him down. He won't be happy, but it's necessary. You can also scruff him and use a shower head to wash him. When it's over, make sure to have lots of wet food or treats to give him immediately after it's done.
One of my special needs cats, Captain Jack (aka Captain poopy-paws), has permanent brain damage and constantly falls or steps in his poop, then likes to run all over the house 😑
It'll take time. But once he understands that he's warm, safe, and that you are the magical food delivery angel, he'll start to come around.

NNNSS3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am unclear as to whether or not he is still inside....I think that he is from your post and pic. At this point, keeping him in a crate and small room is much better than any other option and he needs to be protected as he is completely defenseless.

I don't know if this would work, but my vets will often give a sedative shot to a cat by tipping the crate so that the cat falls against the door which is usually a grated opening or through a soft sided carrier if that is what the cat is in. However, sedation may not be what you need. It would help for keeping him clean in the meantime as you try to work with him and might let vets examine him more thoroughly.

One thing that is on your side is that he is trapped, in a good way, and dependent on you. He really has no choice but to calm down eventually. If you try to handle him, use good gloves like rose pruning gloves or animal handling gloves or sturdy leather. If you can touch him he also might start to realize that you are safe.

As I am reading this, he was a completely feral cat who had no human contact. Thanks to your immense kindness, he went from that to a house cat and that is a big transition. Even if he were just a feral you brought it, it would take time. The first step is having a place of his own, which he seems to. Visit and sit with him but don't always try to engage him; I do realize he is injured and probably has to be handled. Avoid eye contact. Soft soothing music, Feliway plug ins if you think they will work.

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles
Handling Feral Cats – TheCatSite Articles

As for organizations, Alley Cat Allies, even the Humane Society of the United States, the ASPCA. You are asking for connections to other groups as these groups won't be able to actually take him. Aside from that, start to google for groups in Europe or the UK initially and see what you come up with. Try special needs cat rescues. Always use good judgment with these groups though and make sure they are on the level and that he would not be going to someone who would hurt him or had another purpose for him.

What is the prognosis? Can he walk or is he paralyzed in the back? There are cat carts but that is a long way down the road as he has to be much friendlier to try that.

You have done an amazing thing to rescue him and get him medical care.
He is currently inside and in a covered crate. I have just ordered some animal handling gloves but it might take a while so I'll see if I can get something sturdy enough form the hardware shop.

His prognosis by the initial vets who saw him was that there was nothing they can do. The bullet is still inside and he's never going to walk again. He drags himself with his two front legs. We only have one other veterinary hospital in the country and they are currently understaffed and have no appointments. I'm told they do laser therapy there which might be helpful. I'm actually confused because when I try to wipe him he does retract/move his legs, but I guess that's involuntary movement. I'm trying to get him an appointment with this second vet though to get a second opinion.

Thanks for the articles!

NNNSS3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of this innocent soul.
There are organizations that cater specifically to cats with special needs (both feral and tame) and they have the funds/staff/time to deal with situations like these. A local one in my area (Ohio, USA) will keep them until they find a suitable home, or let them live a great, medically cared for life at their facility. Some places will even provide assistance if you decide to keep the special kitty at your home.
While he may be feral and have gone through a horrible situation, cats are extremely forgiving. He may require a cart, or at least kitty diapers due to his incontinence.
In the meantime, make sure that "asshole you live with" understands that this cat will not survive outdoors and no matter what, he needs to stay inside (or stick the human outside instead). To clean him, make sure you have a tough glove and you'll have to scruff him on the back of the neck. Have a warm bowl of water and either "pet safe soap" or another pet safe product along with a washcloth. Just keep getting the washcloth wet and wipe him down. He won't be happy, but it's necessary. You can also scruff him and use a shower head to wash him. When it's over, make sure to have lots of wet food or treats to give him immediately after it's done.
One of my special needs cats, Captain Jack (aka Captain poopy-paws), has permanent brain damage and constantly falls or steps in his poop, then likes to run all over the house 😑
It'll take time. But once he understands that he's warm, safe, and that you are the magical food delivery angel, he'll start to come around.

Thank you so much for letting me know how to clean him, I’m going to try that today. Btw, his name is also Captain because his favorite spot was an abandoned boat in someones driveway.

Could you give me the name of the organization you mentioned so I can get in touch with them and see if it is possible for them to accept him (I am outside the USA).

Thank you so much again.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for letting me know how to clean him, I’m going to try that today. Btw, his name is also Captain because his favorite spot was an abandoned boat in someones driveway.

Could you give me the name of the organization you mentioned so I can get in touch with them and see if it is possible for them to accept him (I am outside the USA).

Thank you so much again.
I mainly work with a local special needs cat rescue called

However, there are numerous groups online and on Facebook like https://facebook.com/helpspecialneedscats/ that may have a greater number and more local connections to rescue groups near you.

I'd do a search more locally as many places are full due to the pandemic and people losing their jobs/homes/paychecks and can no longer afford to care for their pets.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My last GSD had degenerative myelopathy which is multiple sclerosis in dogs. Starts in the rear end and progresses up the spine. When the back legs have lost all movement, there is not even a reflex action and nothing involuntary. I agree that if there is some movement there might be hope for some assistance for Captain.