What To Do With A Bully ? What Would You Do ?

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question for all of you who care for feral or community cats. I'm not very experienced at this.

I have been caring for three homeless neighborhood cats. Two (Mama Kitty and Black Kitty) have been here for two years, the third (Gray Kitty) fairly recent. The third is the problem. He is picking on the other two, trying to run them off. I spent two years making friends with Mama Kitty, now she has to sneak into the yard to eat. I need to treat her for fleas, but when she comes around she's so nervous I can't get anything on her. It's breaking my heart.

Gray kitty is a stray, not a feral. In fact when it comes to human interaction he is the most gentle and affectionate kitty I have here. That's out of seven cats. Four indoor pets and the three community cats outside. I'm trying to find him a forever home, but I haven't had any luck yet. I put up an adopt-a-pet profile and share it on Facebook (Azusa, CA - Domestic Shorthair. Meet Gray Kitty a Cat for Adoption.). He's very sweet and I've grown fond of him, but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate his bullying. I feed him out front on the porch, and the other two out back, but he can't wait to finish his food so he can go out back and harass them.

What would you do ?

Edit: Gray Kitty was TNR'd on July 17.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully, once the hormones leave his system, he'll be a lot more chill. I'd like to think that'll take care of the problem.

If not, can you feed him in a large dog crate? Then you could close the crate for about half an hour every mealtime, and give the other cats a chance to eat in peace.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this problem well. Always one in the bunch.

The only way I solved mine was similar to what you did - fed in different spots. Then I literally had to be guard between the two spots for about two - three weeks until the one, also grey - I named him "grey guy" - sorted out that he was not getting near them after he ate. It was hard but eventually, he learned where the boundary was and it became less of an issue.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The new one is trying to be top cat most likely. He may also be desparate for human attention. If he is stray I assume abandoned. That does something to their confidence. I would put food in back and try leading him to the front with a treat the others do not get. Maybe stay and pet him a bit at that time. Affection can do wonders to alter a situation. The previous idea about crating him to eat. Let him eat in a secure place and confined until done. Cats always think the other cat might have something better. If this kitty secretly does have something tastier then he will quickly figure out that the food in front is worth staying for. Maybe keep him occupied with little bits of the treat so the other two can eat in peace and relax establishing a better atmosphere again. Let us know what happens. :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this problem well. Always one in the bunch.

The only way I solved mine was similar to what you did - fed in different spots. Then I literally had to be guard between the two spots for about two - three weeks until the one, also grey - I named him "grey guy" - sorted out that he was not getting near them after he ate. It was hard but eventually, he learned where the boundary was and it became less of an issue.
The new one is trying to be top cat most likely. He may also be desparate for human attention. If he is stray I assume abandoned. That does something to their confidence. I would put food in back and try leading him to the front with a treat the others do not get. Maybe stay and pet him a bit at that time. Affection can do wonders to alter a situation. The previous idea about crating him to eat. Let him eat in a secure place and confined until done. Cats always think the other cat might have something better. If this kitty secretly does have something tastier then he will quickly figure out that the food in front is worth staying for. Maybe keep him occupied with little bits of the treat so the other two can eat in peace and relax establishing a better atmosphere again. Let us know what happens. :goodluck:
I have regularly done all this for about six weeks now. I stay with him after he eats and pet him, or I stand guard at the rear with the two others. He's not "getting it". I agree that maybe abandonment has messed him up some. As long as meal times require intervention I am stuck here. The wife and I are hoping to take a trip in September, but... ? :sigh:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t give up yet. The hormones can take a while but also the cat attitude. It takes them some time to realiZe they don’t have to be “on duty” at all times. For him it is a lifetime of standing guard and preventing being jumped by another cat. I really think as you practice what you are doing and the hormones settle along with the attitude he will calm. He may still be a little vigilant but being outside requires that for safety. I bet you do get that vacation. One more tip. Can you feed them up high somewhere? A shelf, workbench etc. Somewhere a little harder to interfere with each other or more hidden? My Dad did that when he had a bully. It worked.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more tip. Can you feed them up high somewhere? A shelf, workbench etc. Somewhere a little harder to interfere with each other or more hidden? My Dad did that when he had a bully. It worked.
I’ll have to build something. Sounds like it would be worth a try.

And thanks to everyone for your replies. :wave3:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yes feed the bully out back ontop of a crate or use a lawn chair? my bully honeybee is fed in the kitchen up in the window. the shy cat eats in my library on a big patch of clothe. she takes an hour to finish her food. she picks, then lays down then picks again. by this time honeybee finishes eating and usually goes find something to do. she knows she's not allowed in the library until an hour passes. I used to close the door. now she knows leave it alone.

do you have a garage you can feed the shy cats in? then they can eat in peace then open door and let em back out...

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If not, can you feed him in a large dog crate? Then you could close the crate for about half an hour every mealtime, and give the other cats a chance to eat in peace.
This gives me an idea. Maybe I can screen in this part of the porch and make a nice catio for him.

5136179A-5314-4ED6-A8D9-A6ADB1088C9E.jpeg

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I do find him a home the catio would be useful for my indoor kitties. Just open a window there and let them have at the new playground.

Last edited: