What To Do When You Have A Very Stressful Busy Career And Come Home To Cat Chores?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you guys come home tired from work, does your cats help to de-stress you or add more to your anxiety? I recently got two cats (kittens, one is 4 months the other is 5 months). I am still in the acclimating phase in having them. It's been 3 weeks already. I love cats, don't get me wrong, but I find it more of a burden now that I am older then when I was in my teens and 20s. I guess my job consumes me and that's a factor, and I relocated to a different state almost a year, leaving most of my immediate family and friends behind on this job opportunity. Maybe once I continue settling in, I would appreciate more of the cats around me and their continual care. Any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this? Thanks!

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My advice is to give it time and I’m sure your stress levels will decrease and you will find caring for the cats less of a burden. I live in a foreign country, work 12hr shift work and care for over 30 cats (less now I’m sending them abroad), I found that even though I had so much extra work to do when got home it was actually the best part of my day doing all the things I had to do for them. The worst part for me is woman can’t drive here so if I need the vet it’s a big hassle
Try not to think of the cats as work but as something to look forward to coming home to for company and to help you relax at the end of the day. Especially because you did leave your family and friends behind it must be nice to have the cats around!
I’m sure with time things will get better as you feel more comfortable with all your new life changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I appreciate that!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been leaving home at 4 or 5 am lately and not getting home until 5 or 6 pm. It's almost immediately: call in the cats, feed them dinner, get in the rabbit, feed him dinner, then change into comfy clothes and eat dinner myself. But by that time Rocket is waiting for me on the couch and Link is bringing me his caterpillar to toss. When I go to bed Rocket waits patiently on my bed while I do my bed time routine (Link has been sleeping with my parents lately, they take care of the cats and rabbit if I am home later than 7pm but only if I say something). Rocket is also the one who comes in my room in the morning to beg me not to go to work (little temptress).

Despite the weekday routine of taking care of them first it really has gotten to the point that the routine is relaxing. The times I get home super late I don't know what to do with myself. Plus Rocket is so in tune with it she waits for me at the next step. It makes me smile to have get curled up waiting on my bed (even when she is hogging it). Summer is usually when Link comes back into my room. I miss him in the winter but he is big and takes up a lot of room, lol.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4 dogs that I have to personally take out on leash when I get home, then I have 2 incontinent diaper kitties that need changed, then feed the dogs, fill the water pan, make sure the cats bowl is full, take the dogs out after they eat, clean the litter boxes after the other 4 kitties of mine and 6 fosters. After this it is me time and then do the diaper babies once more and go to bed. That' if they don't need extra changes either, bcz that happens a lot. O, and I work outside so weather factors in to how tired I am, and I do have a labor intense job so typically I'm beat and lots of time I don't eat dinner in the summer as I fall asleep between changes. Once u have a routine it doesn' seem bad. Until u write it down, now I'm feeling exhausted...

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know how you all feel. I’m away 14hrs a day/night when I work but I love coming home to them waiting for me. When I have kittens I always have more then one so they have company while I’m gone - even though as I write this 2 keep fighting and I just finished nightshift and need to sleep it’s the boys fault he’s due for neutering next week haha and he’s picking on the smaller girl (she ain’t interested ) on workdays I usually have ten minutes where I eat and relax but then I find myself walking round and round making sure they all get enough attention. It is tiring, but the way I look at I chose them (well sort of most of them just turned up and never left) so no matter how tired or sick or lazy I’m feeling I just have to put their needs first. And luckily happy cats sleep something like 18? Hours a day so when u think about it u only have to put a little bit of time in and if they are allowed to sleep with u then they are happy enough. At least they have a home and are cared for and that’s more than a lot of other animals have. Not sure if my post is relevant I’m half asleep haha, but had to go search for one of my boys cos it’s cold and I want him to sleep in my room today lol. So as I mentioned before, let yourself settle into your new place and new routine and I truly think everything will work out fine.