What to do when my kitten is the problem

Moira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 15 year old cat and an 8 month old kitten. Two weeks ago I adopted a 3 month old kitten. The two kittens became fast friends but we're making no progress with the older cat. He seems ready to accept her but she continues to hiss and growl. She even hisses and growls when I put his blanket in her room. She was a bottle-fed kitten, so not disciplined by her mother. I have to decide between returning her to the rescue while she's still small and cute and will be adopted by someone else or keeping her and hoping things will improve. I realize two weeks isn't a terribly long time, but I'm not sure her personality is a good match.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the 15 year old is chill about things? Thats the hard part. Sure, kittens almost always get over this kind of thing in a week or so, so this is a bit unusual, but I'd still bet on kitten adaptability coming through. Your in a much better spot than if it was the 15 year old that was having difficulties.

A little hissing and growling is no big deal. If the older cat is chill, then let the little one hiss or growl. She will get tired of it and things will improve. Give them time together and I'd be things will change fast. Now if the 15 year old is bothered by it, you may need to modify the approach, but if its just the kitten being a little hissy, that is no problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the 15 year old is chill about things? Thats the hard part. Sure, kittens almost always get over this kind of thing in a week or so, so this is a bit unusual, but I'd still bet on kitten adaptability coming through. Your in a much better spot than if it was the 15 year old that was having difficulties.

A little hissing and growling is no big deal. If the older cat is chill, then let the little one hiss or growl. She will get tired of it and things will improve. Give them time together and I'd be things will change fast. Now if the 15 year old is bothered by it, you may need to modify the approach, but if its just the kitten being a little hissy, that is no problem.
Thank you for replying! My older guy does react. I wish I could edit my post to add this...When she hisses and growls he is ready to fight. He would absolutely attack her if he could when she starts growling at him. He hissed and growled at the older kitten, but the kitten never reacted so they became great buddies in 3 days.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adult domestic cats never attack kittens with intent to injure. I've not seen one post about an injured kitten. They WILL sometimes whump them a bit in a "I told you to back off" kind of deal. Thats actually good -- self help dealing with a pest. Some of them can't do the self help though, and get massively stressed and run off. Weird, an adult acting scared of a kitten, but its normal. That can linger and take quite a while to get over.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put a dab of pure vanilla extract on the back of each cat’s neck. I vote keep the kitten but give your senior cat 12 hours a day to rule the house; while the kitten is locked in a cat room. Hopefully in a few months this will not be needed.

Most seniors cats do not want to be bothered by kittens. When the kitten becomes 4-6 months old, the senior cats befriend the kittens. Hissing & growling is fine, just watch them from a distance. You don’t want blood, yowling, clumps of fur, pee or poop (the signs of cat fight.)

If either of your cats nip/hold the kittens scruff or do a clawless bop on the kitten’s head....... do nothing! It is how adult cats teach bratty kittens manners! You want your senior cat to teach the kitten manners! We had a senior cat who ignored the 2 bottle baby kittens until they turned 3 months old. When they hit 3 months, he started budding up to only 1 kitten. He bopped her over the head so often, we nicknamed him The Godfather. He taught her everything and when he died, she took the mantle and became the new top cat.

Moira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adult domestic cats never attack kittens with intent to injure. I've not seen one post about an injured kitten. They WILL sometimes whump them a bit in a "I told you to back off" kind of deal. Thats actually good -- self help dealing with a pest. Some of them can't do the self help though, and get massively stressed and run off. Weird, an adult acting scared of a kitten, but its normal. That can linger and take quite a while to get over.
Thank you!

Moira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would put a dab of pure vanilla extract on the back of each cat’s neck. I vote keep the kitten but give your senior cat 12 hours a day to rule the house; while the kitten is locked in a cat room. Hopefully in a few months this will not be needed.

Most seniors cats do not want to be bothered by kittens. When the kitten becomes 4-6 months old, the senior cats befriend the kittens. Hissing & growling is fine, just watch them from a distance. You don’t want blood, yowling, clumps of fur, pee or poop (the signs of cat fight.)

If either of your cats nip/hold the kittens scruff or do a clawless bop on the kitten’s head....... do nothing! It is how adult cats teach bratty kittens manners! You want your senior cat to teach the kitten manners! We had a senior cat who ignored the 2 bottle baby kittens until they turned 3 months old. When they hit 3 months, he started budding up to only 1 kitten. He bopped her over the head so often, we nicknamed him The Godfather. He taught her everything and when he died, she took the mantle and became the new top cat.
Thank you for replying. Is the vanilla supposed to calm them?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the vanilla supposed to calm them?
Not in the direct sense, but it helps to make everyone smell the same, which in cat language means "if you smell like me you're a friend" kind of thing.
Speaking of, and I apologize I haven't read the entire thread, are you using any calming products?

Moira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not in the direct sense, but it helps to make everyone smell the same, which in cat language means "if you smell like me you're a friend" kind of thing.
Speaking of, and I apologize I haven't read the entire thread, are you using any calming products?
That makes sense. No, I haven't tried any calming products. Do you have suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how effective Cat Music would be for your situation, but here are some other products.

I often don't suggest pheromone types since they can sometimes make things worse, or the focus cat is unaffected.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
www.bachflower.com

Also, for a further list since every cat is different and reacts differently, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Food Puzzles for Cats Licki-mats can be very helpful, as cats are calmed by licking.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have a communal smell (you are included.) The communal smell tells them friendly/possible enemy. The vanilla extract is to just speed up the communal smell & to hopefully help them see each other as friendly.

It is part of why cats rub against us. It is why if you only take 1 cat to the vet/groomer, the other cats in the house hiss or sometimes get aggressive towards their long time buddy that just got back home. It is becuase the vet or groomer made that’s cat smell weird.

Moira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know how effective Cat Music would be for your situation, but here are some other products.

I often don't suggest pheromone types since they can sometimes make things worse, or the focus cat is unaffected.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
www.bachflower.com

Also, for a further list since every cat is different and reacts differently, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Food Puzzles for Cats Licki-mats can be very helpful, as cats are calmed by licking.
Thanks so much!