What To Do When He Freaks Out On His Walks?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my harness trained cat is out for a walk, sniffing the common area/garden of my apartment complex. There are bushes/a hedge and on the other side of the hedge is a little used road and then a golf course. I never let him in the bushes. Today a loud motorcycle scared my kitty, he freaked and I let the leash go so he could run back home. Is there a way I can make him less scared (dogs freak him out to.) Should I just keep letting him run back to my porch/inside my apartment or is there a better way to handle it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats just don't get past loud noises. Feeby at 14+ yo still to this day freaks out over truck noises. She will run and hide, it doesn't matter what I say or do.
You can always just let loose of him and hope that he always heads in the right direction to your place.
Hopefully others who walk their cats will have some input to give you that might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep so far he runs home every time (& I follow his dragging leash.) This time he stopped by a bush right in front of my patio, so progress ....... I guess.

Loud noises OK I may not be able to help with that, but dogs? How do I get him to be less skittish? I doubt treats will distract him from the fear.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wish I could help with the dog thing - unfortunately I am scared of them too - have been since I was bitten as a kid. For me, it's a life long phobia. Treats would NOT work for me - haha!!
I am sure other members might have some ideas though!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t let go of the leash! While he may run home he very well may run up a tree, into the street or hide somewhere that you can’t reach him. If you feel you must take him for walk then bring a towel to grab him with but if he were my cat I would just leave him at home. Or get him one of those enclosed strollers so he can get fresh air and still be safe.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he runs from a dog it will trigger, or could trigger the dog's prey instincts and dog will chase. This is a survival thing for dogs, it is difficult to train out of them and in many cases impossible. You can't train your hunting cat not to chase mice.

With luck kit will be faster than the dog, but do you have a cat door he can get through when he runs? You'd want to leave it locked except when you're on walks so he can't get out. if he can't get in the house and doesn't climb a tree, any dog close to his size or bigger can kill him in seconds. I love dogs, I've had dogs and cats successfully, but outside seems to change the rules. And dogs who don't live with cats think of them as cats think of mice.

I took one of cats out on a harness, she freaked. We were in the big city, no cat door. i didn't let go. She pulled me through a holly bush, a big one. No more walks. She didn't mind. I never figured out what scared her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry didn’t mean to hit enter.

The farthest I go is 100? 200? Feet. I also tie up his 26foot leash inside to a chair next to the sliding glass door and let him roam around and sit to stare at bugs for a half hour if he wishes. I keep a close eye on him (& untangle his leash) it just allows me to sit. He knows where home is. When I walked him on my floor in hallways I prop my front door open but he goes in the back most days.

When scared he jumps and tries to run home. I could hold onto the leash but wouldn’t that trigger a dog attack to? All animals are on leashes except one ladies poodle that walks right by her, so the dogs in question are on a leash generally speaking. Honestly I was rather proud of him for stopping at the Bush. (he was on his short leash that day because I was feeling lazy about untying the leash.) I carry him out but let him walk inside so he knows where home is and that he can get back inside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In all seriousness, do you think you could clicker train him to run back to you when he encounters a dog (or, maybe even a loud noise). Clicker training involves treats, and the point is to give him a treat when he hears the clicker and returns to you. Might take a while, but???

Here is one of many articles about it.
Clicker Train Your Cat With These Expert-Recommended Tips

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No stray animals roaming so please don’t jinx it.

Hmmmm the clicker training maybe??? He seems to really freak out like all instinct no rational mind freak out. He flat out bolts in fear. He views me as security since I was his foster mom but he didn’t really go outside until he was 5.5 months old (I worked on harness training him inside first.) So I think part of it is just at 7 months old these new things are very frightening to him.

Sadly I know from experience that I can catch the little door darting jerk when he escapes ..... the dragging leash is way easier to catch because you can just step on it. I have taken to locking him up in the bathroom so he can’t escape when I want to go out and water my plants on the patio. He is very good about letting me catch him but it is still a habit I’m trying to break. I just pick him up and cuddle him when I catch him.

Treats have helped him to warm up to being near/closer to people while out on walks. So again about the clicker training ????maybe?????

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the leash would help catch him. After my experience with the holly bush I forget there are other reasons to use a leash harness. I've seen a few total primal freak outs - I think it's part of the cat survival tool box. It would be d... it would be really hard for a predator to keep hold of a cat doing that freak out, especially if they are using their faces to grip.

the thing I've wondered about with the clicker training is why is it better than you saying a particular word? If you do clicker train you've got to remember to take the clicker with you. If you use words, most of the time you've got them with you. But I don't think either a word or a clicker is going to get through to a cat in the total pupil dilated freak out place.

Will be interested to hear.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did get Sweet Gum a nice little jacket harness. The instructions said to keep it where cat could see it and play with it until cat liked to sleep with it then try to put it on cat. It's been three years, she still walks to give it a couple of feet space when she sees it.

I'm not even talking walking cats, I'm impressed when you guys get them in a harness. I thought the one I managed it with was a fluke.

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also will let go of my cats leash in situations where he really wants to run, in a safe direction he has gone in many times, and if I am absolutely sure no harm will come of it, but I live in a very quiet rural area... I would never let him run from a dog!!!! When he is scared and we can't go in the other direction in time, or I am not sure what he might do, I pop him into his cat backpack, which is always with us on walks, or if I don't have time to do this, I will just head into the ditch with him, a safe distance off the road, and squat beside him putting myself in between him and the car or pedestrian or whatever he is scared of (with him it is most things) Even though there is few cars going by, I want him to know that getting off the road and hiding behind something is one option in case he ever gets out accidentally without me. And I think it is really a good thing if your cat knows where to run to find safety, if he ever accidentally gets out. Knowing that could save his life someday...

Lady Gizmo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine is leash trained, when something scares her I've always held onto the leash now she runs to me and climbs to my shoulder. Yes it hurts a lot but its better than her running off in fear. She will now hop out of the truck and walk leashed across a parking lot even with cars driving around. It took a few panic moments for her to learn to climb me but totally worth it when she started doing it every time she gets scared. I didn't want her running from dogs now when she sees one when we're out she climbs up to my shoulder and just watches the dog till it's gone.