What to do if breeder is not giving TICA paperwork?

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought my Ragdoll from a breeder in California who has good reviews, recommendations, sold to other breeders and so on.
She seems to be a reputable breeder and very caring, however I have had a couple of issues with her along the way. Needless to say, I will not be going back to her in the future.

In the contract she provided, she stated she was going to provide TICA paperwork after receiving the spay/neuter certificate of the kitten.

I neutered my boy in September, and I still have not received anything from her.

I have been contacting her many times, and while I know from several sources that lately she has had a difficult time due to circumstances not related to breeding, I am starting to be very annoyed by this behavior. Every time I ask her to please provide the paperwork, it seems she has an excuse not to.

I was able to see the registration paperwork of my Ragdoll’s parents, but that’s not enough. I paid for that paperwork when I bought my Ragdoll and I don’t believe it’s fair for her not to provide it.

Today I will be contacting her again, and if anyone has any suggestions and tips, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s important to remember that, on top of any personal issues, most reputable breeders have a full time job, as ethical breeding isn’t all that lucrative. Unless you plan to show your cat, having papers on hand isn’t really something that needs to be rushed. Do you doubt that he’s a pedigree? What kind of proof of neuter have you provided?
If you really wish to push the issue, which I wouldn’t advise, personally, you can use the contract you signed to go into small claims court, assuming it has detailed information on the breeder providing you the paperwork upon you providing sufficient proof of neuter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s important to remember that, on top of any personal issues, most reputable breeders have a full time job, as ethical breeding isn’t all that lucrative. Unless you plan to show your cat, having papers on hand isn’t really something that needs to be rushed. Do you doubt that he’s a pedigree? What kind of proof of neuter have you provided?
If you really wish to push the issue, which I wouldn’t advise, personally, you can use the contract you signed to go into small claims court, assuming it has detailed information on the breeder providing you the paperwork upon you providing sufficient proof of neuter.
Thank you for your response!
I definitely do not doubt the fact that he’s a pedigree, but I never had this problem before and it doesn’t seem correct to me to promise paperwork and then not follow through. It’s part of the contract and the contract should be respected.

In regards to proof of neuter, I sent the vet bill with the details of the surgery and so on.

Thank you for your recommendations!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Was that all the breeder asked for proof, to clarify? No clue how it’s done typically, as reputable breeders where I live neuter prior to sale.

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is what she asked for.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TICA is months behind on paperwork, from natural disasters, covid and switching the computer system, I’m not surprised it hasn’t yet arrived if only filed in September.

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TICA is months behind on paperwork, from natural disasters, covid and switching the computer system, I’m not surprised it hasn’t yet arrived if only filed in September.
The problem is I asked her if she has filed and she said no, every time for a different reason. I would be more than okay with waiting had she filed/registered the litter, but she has not yet unfortunately.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a similar issue with the breeder of our Maine Coon. Very well known, champion cats, a famous chef's cat came from her cattery and is involved in running CFA events. But boy she was not the most responsive once the initial deal was made.

She does not spay/neuter and has it as part of the contract. Once I had Luna spayed I provided her with the proper proof and that was acknowledge received. But it took more than several weeks to have her finally send me the paperwork so I could register Luna with CFA.

In her defense, as Maurey Maurey mentioned, breeding is not her "job". She works full time, has a family with younger kids and I'm sure her days were packed full. Paperwork was not being high on the to-do list evidently. But I really wanted to get Luna registered not only because that is what I expect to do with a pedigreed cat but also, I was intensely interested to see her ancestry in detail.

Being things are kind of weird now in the world, you could try contacting whatever organization the parents are registered with (TICA/CFA in the USA, not sure about any others world wide). Sometimes they can assist to at least find out if the breeder did indeed do the preliminary registration once the kittens were born. I know they were very helpful to me when I had to correct some information on our girls paperwork (breeder put the wrong birthdate by accident which I caught).

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response! I’m actually not sure if she did register the litter at birth, I know for a fact that lately she hasn’t done any of that stuff. Not sure if I’m the only one having this problem with her. I’ll try to do what you suggested!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck JBMMBJ JBMMBJ . I'm sure she isn't doing it on purpose. I have a new level of patience and understanding since I purchased Luna because another breeder I was on a list with after Luna's arrival, was very transparent about her day to day operations.

She would share all the joy and heartbreak. I passed on a one of her kittens this past autumn after waiting 3 years to have a chance because it just didn't seem like a good time with the pandemic and all. I figured I could wait a bit longer.

Alas, she notified everyone that after over a decade of breeding some of the most stunning Maine Coons I've yet seen that the difficulties and tears she shed in recent years finally took it's toll on her once she lost her heart cat recently, the father of all the gorgeous solid whites which she is known for. It was never about money but about furthering and improving on the standard of the breed she loved.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m actually not sure if she did register the litter at birth
That should definitely have been done, I would wonder if the cats are actually able to be registered if that hasn’t been done in the 6 months since birth, some associations have a time limit on litter reg.

While we are busy i tend to do all my ‘computer stuff’ on weekends or early mornings so kitten owners aren’t left waiting long.
However the breeder may have some personal issues going on that’s delaying things that she’s not going to discuss with people who aren’t good friends, but not registering the birth is a bit odd.

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That should definitely have been done, I would wonder if the cats are actually able to be registered if that hasn’t been done in the 6 months since birth, some associations have a time limit on litter reg.

While we are busy i tend to do all my ‘computer stuff’ on weekends or early mornings so kitten owners aren’t left waiting long.
However the breeder may have some personal issues going on that’s delaying things that she’s not going to discuss with people who aren’t good friends, but not registering the birth is a bit odd.
I just asked her if she did register the litter at birth, it’s possible she did it but I’m not sure. I had never asked her that specifically, so I’m waiting for her response now. Thank you!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Send the breeder a demand letter:

On [DATE] I purchased a cat [DESCRIPTION] from you.
I paid [$ COST]. The cat was delivered to me on [DATE].

You agreed to provide registration papers [SPECIFY ORGANIZATION] after I showed you proof that the cat was [SPAYED/NEUTERED/STERILIZED].
The procedure was done on [DATE] by [VET's NAME].
Proof was delivered to you on [DATE] in the form of [INVOICE/MEDICAL REPORT/LETTER] from the vet named above.

As of the date of this letter [DATE] I have not received registration papers from [ORGANIZATION] nor have you provided me reasonable proof that the registration was submitted.

I have contacted you [BY METHOD] several times to ask you why you have not fulfilled our contract.
[LIST DATES]

I still have not received the promised paperwork or told me a reason why.

I consider this a breach of contract on your part.

I require one of the following remedies:
1) The promised paperwork must be delivered to me by [REASONABLE DEADLINE].
2) You must give me proof that the required information has been filed with [ORGANIZATION] by [DEADLINE].

If this is not done by [DEADLINE] I will accept a refund of [$ AMOUNT] from you by [DEADLINE] as settlement.

If you still do not comply with my request by [DATE] I will seek legal assistance from an attorney with the intention of bringing a lawsuit against you.

Please comply with my request on or before [DATE].

[SIGNED...]
Make three identical copies of this letter. Mail one to the breeder via registered mail with return receipt request.
Seal a second copy in an envelope and put it away for safe keeping. Take the third to a Magistrate or Notary to have it notarized.

Wait for a reply and hope that you don't have to "pull the trigger."

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought my Ragdoll from a breeder in California who has good reviews, recommendations, sold to other breeders and so on.
She seems to be a reputable breeder and very caring, however I have had a couple of issues with her along the way. Needless to say, I will not be going back to her in the future.

In the contract she provided, she stated she was going to provide TICA paperwork after receiving the spay/neuter certificate of the kitten.

I neutered my boy in September, and I still have not received anything from her.

I have been contacting her many times, and while I know from several sources that lately she has had a difficult time due to circumstances not related to breeding, I am starting to be very annoyed by this behavior. Every time I ask her to please provide the paperwork, it seems she has an excuse not to.

I was able to see the registration paperwork of my Ragdoll’s parents, but that’s not enough. I paid for that paperwork when I bought my Ragdoll and I don’t believe it’s fair for her not to provide it.

Today I will be contacting her again, and if anyone has any suggestions and tips, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!
I experienced a similar situation when I adopted my first of two Turkish Van Kittens. Both were purchased from the same breeder. I elected not to pursue The papers because I don't Intend to show either one. Yes, I would have liked to have the papers . But the stringently written contract made me to forgo the paperwork.

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Send the breeder a demand letter:

Make three identical copies of this letter. Mail one to the breeder via registered mail with return receipt request.
Seal a second copy in an envelope and put it away for safe keeping. Take the third to a Magistrate or Notary to have it notarized.

Wait for a reply and hope that you don't have to "pull the trigger."
Thank you! I will give her one more chance, and if by then she doesn’t provide the paperwork requested, I will move forward as you suggested. Thank you again for the letter!

It’s really unfortunate as the solution could be very simple, however she’s being hard to work with. She is responsive and has apologized several times due to the inconvenience, but every time she has a different reason as to why she has not filed yet. While I understand people can have difficult periods, this is starting to be a bit too much. She has very positive reviews and many recommendations, I wonder if anyone else experienced this.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will give her one more chance, and if by then she doesn’t provide the paperwork requested, I will move forward as you suggested. Thank you again for the letter!

It’s really unfortunate as the solution could be very simple, however she’s being hard to work with. She is responsive and has apologized several times due to the inconvenience, but every time she has a different reason as to why she has not filed yet. While I understand people can have difficult periods, this is starting to be a bit too much. She has very positive reviews and many recommendations, I wonder if anyone else experienced this.
My (TICA) breeder, from Texas. Has a clause in the contract that states that I could not give or sell my cats without permission from the breeder. And if I did so and was found out that I could be sued for breach of contract. So I elected not to sign this contract to get the pedigree papers. Prior to Turkish Van's I had pedigree Maine Coons. I never had a pedigree paperwork issue.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if she is making excuses because she bred from cats not on the active register. Meaning not sold for breeding but as pets only.

Breeders may breed the correct breed they claim but use cats too closely related, defective in some way such as a carrier of a genetic defect. Or there maybe a limit on number of litters in a time frame and she may have surpassed that hence not registering kittens in a particular litter.

I think you are getting a run around.

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if she is making excuses because she bred from cats not on the active register. Meaning not sold for breeding but as pets only.

Breeders may breed the correct breed they claim but use cats too closely related, defective in some way such as a carrier of a genetic defect. Or there maybe a limit on number of litters in a time frame and she may have surpassed that hence not registering kittens in a particular litter.

I think you are getting a run around.
Thank you for your response! I remember seeing the parents’ pedigree, I could ask her to see it again. Besides this I’m planning to get to the bottom of this, this upcoming week we’re going to call her again. If she doesn’t provide proof that she has filed the requested paperwork, we’ll be moving forward in a more demanding way.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
To my understanding, the pedigree will not tell you if your cats parents are on the active register. You need to see the parents registration papers. The breeder should be able to scan a copy of the mothers registration certificate and the fathers if she also owns the stud.

To be honest, if your boy was neutered in September and she has not yet registered the litter - I doubt she will or can.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tell the breeder you want to participate in Shows. For this you need the paperwork... She doesnt want her cat to be shown in the household pet class, even if the cat wont win no big prizes in the purebred class of neuters.

Anyway, its a gentle and yet fairly effective way to promt things. She does understand the wanting to be in Shows.